Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    This is my first post on TSR! I know this might sound like a daft question but are the advantages of studying in London really that good? Would you apply for a uni such as Queen Mary (which is part of the UoL) over somewhere like Birmingham or Sheffield which has a better overall rep, but isn't in London? I've heard it's better for job prospects coming from a London uni plus all the advantages of the London lifestyle.

Comments much appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone?

ReputationRep:
    Actually Queens Mary London has better reputation for law than Sheffield and Birmingham :p: (at least according to times online... QML is ranked 16th, whereas birmingham and sheffield are ranked 27th and 29th respectively).

Also, QML has 87% "graduate prospects" compared to 82 for birmingham and 77 for sheffield.

However, don't rule down the job prospects in birmingham and sheffield either. They both are also fairly large cities. London is also very expensive, so you need to consider very carefully on whether to chose QML, birmingham or sheffield.

If money isn't an issue for you, then definitely go for QML. Otherwise, birmingham and sheffield may be better to invest your money on.

At the end of the day, it's 100% your choice: do you prefer working in a crowded capital city? I wouldn't mind (since I live in Hong Kong and i'm totally used to it :p: )

ReputationRep:
    I think you should aim for the best university you are capable of. As it happens some of the best law schools in the country are in London (LSE, UCL & KCL). However, the London advantage should only play a part in your choice of university when everything else is equal. Birmingham and Sheffield in my opinion are excellent universities, and I would certainly not choose QMUL over them just because of the London advantage. If you were at QMUL it would be quite apparent that you weren't able to gain a place at a better London university. Also the London lifestyle advantages you talk of are those you would enjoy if you were in central London. QMUL is in East London!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks peeps I will think about what you've said so far.

ReputationRep:
    oh I was never aware that QML was in east london... i've heard a lot of bad stories about e. london over here in HK!

And yeah the guy above is right.. aim as high as possible! obviously L.S.E is the best law school in london. if it's not within your reach, why not try UCL (university college london), king's college or even royal holloway?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cool.Zero)
    And yeah the guy above is right.. aim as high as possible! obviously L.S.E is the best law school in london. if it's not within your reach, why not try UCL (university college london), king's college or even royal holloway?
    Higly debatable, I don't think it is

And I don't think you should just head to London no matter what, there are several law schools far superior to ones such as QMUL that are outside of London

ReputationRep:
    Yep, LSE in my opinion is as good as Oxbridge. UCL and KCL the next best thing. Royal Holloway don't offer law. So basically if you want to study law in London you have three choices.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a_t)
    Higly debatable, I don't think it is

And I don't think you should just head to London no matter what, there are several law schools far superior to ones such as QMUL that are outside of London
    I agree it's highly debatable... but my statement is based on entrance requirements. Surely employers regard LSE as a very very reputable law institute? I can't think of any london college/ uni with a better reputation in law than LSE! :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kclawyer)
    Yep, LSE in my opinion is as good as Oxbridge. UCL and KCL the next best thing. Royal Holloway don't offer law. So basically if you want to study law in London you have three choices.
    There's also QMUL, city university, and some others (not sure about brunel: they might offer law)

ReputationRep:
    I agree it's highly debatable... but my statement is based on entrance requirements. Surely employers regard LSE as a very very reputable law institute? I can't think of any london college/ uni with a better reputation in law than LSE! :p:
    I dunno it seems UCL have more people in the top firms than LSE do, and talking to my teachers etc UCL seemed to have a better rep for Law then LSE

LSE definitely has a better rep overall, but for Law in particular I think UCL is better, which is why I picked it XD

ReputationRep:
    Nah. I thought LSE was better too, but I think it's a negliable difference. Apparently, a lot of the LSE students are international and so they head back to their country's after uni.

OP: I don't think you should go for QM just because it's in london. I think Bham is certainly better than QM, as a law school and in general and I think sheffield maybe near enough equal to it. That, and I agree with everything Kclawyer wrote.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by removed)
    Edit: no one has mentioned SOAS. :p:
    probably coz no-one's heard of it despite being one of the top ten for law in the country ;dry;

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a_t)
    I dunno it seems UCL have more people in the top firms than LSE do, and talking to my teachers etc UCL seemed to have a better rep for Law then LSE

LSE definitely has a better rep overall, but for Law in particular I think UCL is better, which is why I picked it XD
    Actually yeah you're probably right (sorry!). Just checked the Times online website... UCL is ranked 2nd in the country for law now! (unbelievably, oxford has dropped to 5th!)

UCL also has better graduate prospects and higher entry requirements than LSE.

ReputationRep:
    Please dont back up your assertions with evidence from league tables

ReputationRep:
    obviously L.S.E is the best law school in london. if it's not within your reach, why not try UCL (university college london), king's college or even royal holloway?
    I agree it's highly debatable... but my statement is based on entrance requirements. Surely employers regard LSE as a very very reputable law institute? I can't think of any london college/ uni with a better reputation in law than LSE!
    Do you actually have any idea what you're talking about?

I don't know why people feel they have to say whether one university or the other is better. Why can't we just agree that LSE, UCL and KCL are as good as each other? Is there any point in saying that LSE is marginally better than UCL? Will an employer look at a graduate from LSE and one from UCL and think to themselves "oh, the LSE graduate is obviously better"?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TommehR)
    Do you actually have any idea what you're talking about?

I don't know why people feel they have to say whether one university or the other is better. Why can't we just agree that LSE, UCL and KCL are as good as each other? Is there any point in saying that LSE is marginally better than UCL? Will an employer look at a graduate from LSE and one from UCL and think to themselves "oh, the LSE graduate is obviously better"?
    whoa dude don't need to get all critical. You did carefully cut out part of what I said from the last of my quotes in your post. I did apoligize...

And no you can't agree LSE, UCL and KCL are as good as each other because in reality, that is definitely not true. UCL and LSE may be considered similar by employers: but KCL is certainly not up to their standards.

ReputationRep:
    Actually yeah you're probably right (sorry!). Just checked the Times online website... UCL is ranked 2nd in the country for law now! (unbelievably, oxford has dropped to 5th!)

A lot of its opinion anyway

On that league table apparently Aberdeen is harder to get into than Cambridge haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by removed)
    Royal Holloway don't do Law as far as I know.

Edit: no one has mentioned SOAS. :p:
    Oops forgot to mention SOAS. It is as reputable as UCL/KCL!

ReputationRep:
    whoa dude don't need to get all critical. You did carefully cut out part of what I said from the last of my quotes in your post. I did apoligize...

And no you can't agree LSE, UCL and KCL are as good as each other because in reality, that is definitely not true. UCL and LSE may be considered similar by employers: but KCL is certainly not up to their standards.
    For law, if only you did a little more research I think you will find that the difference between the three is negligible. I myself would have chosen LSE over KCL but there are a few law students here at KCL who turned down LSE. These people have done their research, they know what they are doing! It will not make the slightest bit of difference to your career which one of the three you go to. If there is ever a bias in the legal profession it is one in favour of Oxbridge graduates.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 4, 2007

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 23 Nov '18
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 23 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 24 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.