Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

Just came across this forum a wee while ago and I have to say its a great resource, even tho I'm not technically a student anymore lol

I graduated with a degree in finance and have been working at a BB IB in BO, unfortunately all thats available at a regional office :mad: I'm going to be applying for grad jobs soon but as they wont start til next year I was just wondering what I should do until then? Do you think its best to work full time even tho its BO? I have been thinking about going back to uni to do a masters in IT as I really dont want to do anything business related cos I have a finance degree already.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

ReputationRep:
    I'd say a Masters in IT is generally a bad idea. It won't really open any doors except maybe technology. IIRC Masters in IT usually cover business processes, change management and best practice - which is more suited to consultancy.

If I were you I'd probably carry on working whilst learning about the specifics relative to the role I'm applying to. That said I'm not the best person to speak to about FO positions.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, for the reply The only reason I though about doing a masters is because the work I'm currently doing has nothing to do with FO jobs. Currently I'm a temp but I know that I could quite easily become permanent, unfortunately of the work that I've seen nothing interests me. I have the option of working part time during the masters (if time permits) which would be good but I was just wondering what would look better on a cv?

ReputationRep:
    You work in a BB IB, use your skills. Im sure you will be surrounded by and be working with FO people. Start networking, talking, asking questions, learning and most of all telling ppl what you posted on here (if people know you ambition/background etc then if a role appears they will have you in mind )... I guarantee you there will be someone looking for additions to their team and if you can display the important skills required I know for a fact that managers would prefer to take on a guy who they have seen in action rather than taking a risk on someone from outside.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the advice I think you guys are right, I should prob just keep working and see what comes of it, a masters wouldn't really help esp in IT lol. Does anyone have any ideas as to which roles/teams/areas in ops are the best? In the sense that they may help you get into FO roles and give you good experience/knowledge?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Just for the record, you won't necessarily start next year - I've just graduated too and there is an earlier intake where I'm going to work (as I'm sure there is at all banks). I start this year despite just being successful.

ReputationRep:
    Do you mean that if I applied now I wouldn't start until after next summer? I'm not quite sure what you mean.

Also, does anyone have any opinions on risk? There is an opportunity for me to move into a risk role and I'm just wondering whether that would help my chances of getting onto a grad scheme. Thanks

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 10, 2007
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.