AQA Power & Conflict-Grouping Poems Watch

tahliak1234
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi everyone!

With the new English spec and having to learn 15 poems, I thought it would be a good idea to start a forum to group & compare the poems from the AQA Power & Conflict anthology. So far the following poems could be grouped together to compare:

Exposure & Charge of the Light Brigade
Exposure & Kamikaze
Exposure & Bayonet Charge
Charge of the Light Brigade & Kamikaze
Remains & War Photographer
Ozymandias & My Last Duchess
Prelude & Storm on the Island
Prelude & London
Poppies & Kamikaze
Poppies & Remains
Poppies & War Photographer

That's all I have so far, feel free to add your suggestions! I was also wondering how you're told to structure your comparative essays, as I followed a different technique from what I was taught (but preferred) & was told it was wrong, so let me know!
sudent
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Basically for comparative essays I'm told to pick out three great areas (one concrete, one sub concrete, and one more abstract) eg, for War Photographer and Ozy I did 1) distance from conflict 2) different types of conflict 3) attitude to conflict. For intro we compare both the stories of the poem, and conclusion we just summarise I guess? I dont think that really matters tbh. Hope this helps
sudent
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Other comparative essay titles I should be practicing but cba lol:

MLD and Checking out me History - Power of humans
Prelude and Kamikaze - Power of Nature
Kamikaze and Remains - effects of conflict
Bayonet Charge and War Photographer - reality of conflict
Poppies and Tissue - loss and absence
London and The Emigree - memory
London and Checking out me history - anger
Exposure and Storm on the Island - fear
The Emigree and Checking out me history - Identity
tahliak1234
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by sudent)
Basically for comparative essays I'm told to pick out three great areas (one concrete, one sub concrete, and one more abstract) eg, for War Photographer and Ozy I did 1) distance from conflict 2) different types of conflict 3) attitude to conflict. For intro we compare both the stories of the poem, and conclusion we just summarise I guess? I dont think that really matters tbh. Hope this helps
Thanks for that!
gillyfish01
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by tahliak1234)
Hi everyone!

With the new English spec and having to learn 15 poems, I thought it would be a good idea to start a forum to group & compare the poems from the AQA Power & Conflict anthology. So far the following poems could be grouped together to compare:

Exposure & Charge of the Light Brigade
Exposure & Kamikaze
Exposure & Bayonet Charge
Charge of the Light Brigade & Kamikaze
Remains & War Photographer
Ozymandias & My Last Duchess
Prelude & Storm on the Island
Prelude & London
Poppies & Kamikaze
Poppies & Remains
Poppies & War Photographer

That's all I have so far, feel free to add your suggestions! I was also wondering how you're told to structure your comparative essays, as I followed a different technique from what I was taught (but preferred) & was told it was wrong, so let me know!
No way! I thought pairing the poems together would be the best idea - but then the theme they could ask us on kind of ruins it (for me anyway) coz what if the points i make don't relate to the themes? I'll have to figure it out though since I haven't started to revise it yet.
Pepsin2
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by gillyfish01)
No way! I thought pairing the poems together would be the best idea - but then the theme they could ask us on kind of ruins it (for me anyway) coz what if the points i make don't relate to the themes? I'll have to figure it out though since I haven't started to revise it yet.
This is the problem I'm having, so I'm not sure how to revise for poetry
Here are my pairings so far:

Ozymandias and Storm on the island (unforgiving nature)
War Photographer and The Emigree ( attitudes towards conflict)
username2923944
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I see what you mean with the problem of not knowing what theme they will ask about for the exam question. I created a table with the best poems of comparison and several good themes of comparison that might help. I've attached it to this reply.
Attached files
Pepsin2
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by armytricks)
I see what you mean with the problem of not knowing what theme they will ask about for the exam question. I created a table with the best poems of comparison and several good themes of comparison that might help. I've attached it to this reply.
Thank you so much, this will be very useful for my revision.

Also I found that ozymandias was pretty good for nature as it is portrayed as stronger than man
Nancyxttley
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Thank you soo much. I've been struggling with themes for about a week now
MimiElf
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Have you tried this site? It does a lot of grouping of the poems by theme, and then helps you learn the quotes and notice specific points in each poem. https://app.senecalearning.com/class...4-f9cf15791499 Has helped me a lot
Der Auserwählte
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Hyello.
anonoymous24
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
I’ve finished my analysis and have started to group according to past questions.

War Photographer & Poppies - effects of conflict to those not directly involved
London & COMH- anger at society/governments in power
Tissue & Ozymandias- transience of human power, which is soon undermined by the power of nature

I have a few poems I hope come up, namely London or War photographer, does anybody have any predictions?
dberrington
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
So I will revise all poems but focus mostly on these six because I can use them for each themeWar Photographer, Remains, My Last Duchess, Kamikaze, Checking Out Me History, OzymandiasPower of natureKamikazeOzymandiasReality of conflictWar PhotographerRemainsPower of humansMy Last DuchessCOMHOzymandias PrideMy Last DuchessCOMHOzymandiasAngerWar PhotographerCOMHWar War PhotographerRemainsKamikaze Individual experiencesWar PhotographerRemainsMy Last DuchessKamikazeIdentityMy Last DuchessKamikazeCOMHGuiltWar PhotographerRemainsMemoryWar PhotographerRemainsMy Last DuchessEffects of conflictWar PhotographerRemainsKamikazeLoss and absenceRemainsKamikaze
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    Department of Humanities; Department of Drama, Theatre and Performance; Department of Social Sciences; Department of English and Creative Writing Undergraduate
    Wed, 20 Feb '19
  • Keele University
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Feb '19
  • Manchester Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Feb '19

Do you give blood?

Yes (72)
7.74%
I used to but I don't now (26)
2.8%