The Student Room Group

Continuous bleeding on the contraceptive pill

After almost 2 years of researching my own issues I have decided to come out and discuss my story for anyone else who may unfortunately be going through the same problem as me.
I have not found ONE person on the entire Internet who has had the same experience as me but surely I can't be the only one in the world, could I?

Around February of 2015 I decided to go on the contraceptive pill. This was a 3 week on and 1 week off pill which I was so happy with. My weight at the time was around 12 stone. At 5'3 it was a push getting prescribed this pill as I was already classed as slightly overweight.

3 months later I had found I'd shot up to 13 and a half stone! The nurse was not happy about this and put me straight onto an every day pill.

With this next pill, I used it for 6 months before I had to come off it due to constant spotting that had began in the first week and hadn't settled down yet. I also went through a bout of severe depression where I wound up quitting my job and retiring to my bed for around 4 months. When I returned to the nurse my weight had gone to 14 and and half stone.

The nurse prescribed me a new pill and my mood changed almost instantly. I was happy and motivated again which made me determined to lose the weight instantly had put on. I began eating healthily and exercising and I felt much better within myself. The only issue was that my bleeding still had not stopped and in fact was much heavier and much more painful. I was constantly bloated and made the decision then to work towards going back on a 3 week pill.

At my next follow up appointment, I had mentioned how hard i was working to lose weight and that I hadn't weighed myself in 3 months because I wanted it to be a surprise. And what a surprise it was when my nurse told me my weight had gone up again to 15 stone. I had never felt so gutted.

She prescribed me ANOTHER pill straight away which had me crippled with cramps constantly and the bleeding still hadn't stopped.

After smear tests and screenings etc showed that there was no underlying issue as to why I could be bleeding this much, I began to lose all hope and although my partner was supportive I could tell it was beginning to put a strain on our relationship as i couldn't stop thinking about it and would panic during intimacy.

4 months ago I was prescribed a previous pill I had been on (my weight is currently 16 stone with no weight loss even after literally starving myself) and the bleeding eventually stopped! Hallelujah!!
Or so that's what I thought until a month later when it came back with a vengeance.

So here I am. 2 years later. Still bleeding out. No further forward.
I just saw a new nurse this morning who said my only option was to come off contraception altogether.

I can see my relationship breaking down in the coming months and I have never had such little faith in myself and my body before.

This post is to assure anyone else going through the same as myself that you are not alone and id love to advise and help anyone through something like this as I had nobody at all to talk to over this entire ordeal.
That's awful. :frown: Have you considered things like the injection or implant?
Why didnt you go on the implant or another form of contraceptive instead of putting up with that?

Im on Microgynon and have had no problems

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending