The Student Room Group

Teacher is USELESS

I really like my history teacher, but ANNOYINGLY she is basically messing my class around and I recently found out that my class are looking for a new history teacher to temporarily replace her. Last time I had this situation I almost failed the class. Any advice on how to basically teach myself the subject? Or just how to deal with this kind of situation?
Reply 1
There's nothing quite like launching a coup against a teacher, someone needs to make a movie on it.

If your teacher is useless go ahead and self-teach it, you can still access resources she would've otherwise have used but you just have to be independent, it's a lot easier than it sounds but just look over what needs doing and make a plan, try and be ahead of the plan and be ambitious with the time frames (don't try and maximise time). Remember you risk getting a bad replacement too which is why I naturally take my studies independently mid year.
Reply 2
I've basically started to write up essay plans for all previous questions, so I can get acquainted with sources that we have to learn. But I don't know who to get to check them, because there are no other classics teachers. Shall I just assumeI'm doing the right thing?
Original post by zayn008
There's nothing quite like launching a coup against a teacher, someone needs to make a movie on it.

If your teacher is useless go ahead and self-teach it, you can still access resources she would've otherwise have used but you just have to be independent, it's a lot easier than it sounds but just look over what needs doing and make a plan, try and be ahead of the plan and be ambitious with the time frames (don't try and maximise time). Remember you risk getting a bad replacement too which is why I naturally take my studies independently mid year.
Reply 3
Original post by mobydick
I've basically started to write up essay plans for all previous questions, so I can get acquainted with sources that we have to learn. But I don't know who to get to check them, because there are no other classics teachers. Shall I just assumeI'm doing the right thing?

Could you not google the facts to confirm it? Would it not be anywhere in your textbook? But from self-teaching an AS I assumed I was right along the way and it worked… but do make sure you remember where you read the info and if it's correct like I wouldn't trust random sites but I'd trust a textbook, Wikipedia (contrary to most people) and other sites with a decent reputation. Maybe you could make use of this site and share your essay plans? Someone might have the knowledge to confirm/improve it
Reply 4
I really like my history teacher, but ANNOYINGLY she is basically messing my class around and I recently found out that my class are looking for a new history teacher to temporarily replace her. Last time I had this situation I almost failed the class. Any advice on how to basically teach myself the subject? Or just how to deal with this kind of situation?

What topic is it?
Reply 5
Yeah, I've been checking my facts are right and everything. And we don't have textbooks, we get taught mainly verbally. I got a book out of the library that she uses to teach us, so I was thinking of just tracking through it and learning the sources it gives. I've also just been using the mark scheme for the past papers, but theyre pretty vague. I think I'll just have to hope I'm right with my answers. Do you think getting a top grade student in the class to explain stuff and give me their past essays will help?
Original post by zayn008
Could you not google the facts to confirm it? Would it not be anywhere in your textbook? But from self-teaching an AS I assumed I was right along the way and it worked… but do make sure you remember where you read the info and if it's correct like I wouldn't trust random sites but I'd trust a textbook, Wikipedia (contrary to most people) and other sites with a decent reputation. Maybe you could make use of this site and share your essay plans? Someone might have the knowledge to confirm/improve it
Reply 6
Original post by CoffeeAndPolitics
What topic is it?

Classics: Ancient History
Reply 7
Yeah, I've been checking my facts are right and everything. And we don't have textbooks, we get taught mainly verbally. I got a book out of the library that she uses to teach us, so I was thinking of just tracking through it and learning the sources it gives. I've also just been using the mark scheme for the past papers, but theyre pretty vague. I think I'll just have to hope I'm right with my answers. Do you think getting a top grade student in the class to explain stuff and give me their past essays will help?

You've done the right thing, make sure you keep up with the work load and if it's all drawn up from credible sources don't worry about it and just trust it. But you will need to find a suitable textbook to keep for the time being, that would be a good idea especially for essay structuring
Reply 8
Original post by zayn008
You've done the right thing, make sure you keep up with the work load and if it's all drawn up from credible sources don't worry about it and just trust it. But you will need to find a suitable textbook to keep for the time being, that would be a good idea especially for essay structuring

Cool, thanks for your help :h:
Best thing to do is to just learn independently. It doesn't have to be tedious reading or studying from textbooks, but a simple youtube video could really help. The quickest (and most interesting) way to learn in my opinion would be to watch documentaries. They help faaaar more than a teacher would.
Reply 10
Moved to History Study Help :h:

Self-teach and have a look around our dedicated Study Help forum to see if you can find anything useful :yep:
This was half my A level biology. The teacher covered maybe a quarter of her designated half of the syllabus and even then it was in such low detail that only poor quality notes could be made. If nothing is done ultimately you're going to have to really get to work and try and make the best of it. It can end well, it just isn't as easy as it should be.
I bought the revision guide for history. As I'm unwell and missed a lot of lessons, I did a lot of self teaching. I got a B in the end. :p: :biggrin:

This happened to 3 of my teachers at A2, I'll pray for you.
Get a CGP book for whatever course you're doing and go on bitesize, and just do past papers.
Reply 15
go all
[video="youtube;PlDt0PX4rVg"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlDt0PX4rVg[/video]
on her

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending