Turn on thread page Beta

Another calories question watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Just some advice really. I currently eat about 1500 kcals daily and maintain my weight. Thats with a good mile run each day and 30 mins aerobic class. Is there anyway i can gradually adjust my diet to eat more without putting on weight as i'm aware the recommended daily intake for a woman is more like 2000. Ta x

ReputationRep:
    By having a balanced food intake. I prefer 40% Carbs 35% protein and 25% essential fats. most people do 40/30/30, I like to keep my protein supply up.

I suggest on off days, keep your calorie intake lower than you would on workout days. Also eating low GI carbs and some proteins are slow digesting and keep the insulin levels more stable.

Low GI food examples:
    High fibered cereals, rolled oats, whole GRAIN bread, brown rice, whole grain pasta ,sweet potatoes/yams, Water, skimmed/low fat milk, vegetables, nuts and seeds, dried fruit.

Protien
    Eggs in the morning, chicken breasts, LEAN beef,fish:tuna,salmon,mackerel(i add cayenne peppers and lemon - tastes like chicken), low fat milk, beans, cottage cheese

You should concentrate more on these mostly, but if you ate those tasty irresistible sweets on weekends then your workout should balance that

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    So long as you eat a fairly balanced diet and get enough micronutrients there's no reason to increase intake to conform with something that is only a guideline.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by burningnun)
    So long as you eat a fairly balanced diet and get enough micronutrients there's no reason to increase intake to conform with something that is only a guideline.
    I don't think she wants to conform, it sounds like she might just want to be able to eat more? Sounds perfectly reasonable to me, he he

ReputationRep:
    She specifies the reason in her post -

as i'm aware the recommended daily intake for a woman is more like 2000

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by burningnun)
    She specifies the reason in her post -
    Yes, implying that she might be able to get away with eating more without putting on weight

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bunthulhu)
    Yes, implying that she might be able to get away with eating more without putting on weight
    yep thats right i feel i should/want to eat more as its sometimes difficult to keep my calorie intake lowish. Just didn't know how to go about increasing it. I do eat healthily anyway...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fabbo)
    yep thats right i feel i should/want to eat more as its sometimes difficult to keep my calorie intake lowish. Just didn't know how to go about increasing it. I do eat healthily anyway...
    Perhaps allow yourself slightly bigger portions? You could also allow yourself a test run of, say, two weeks, where you have slightly bigger portions each day, or extra snacks to fill you up a bit more, and see if you put on any weight?

ReputationRep:
    The obvious would be to excercise more. If not, you can increase calorie intake but spread your meals out (to, say, 6 instead of 3 meals). If you increase by 33% of your maintenance you will still gain weight this way but it will be less than if you just increased the size of meals.

Drink all your water ice cold. If you drink 2L water at 4c, it will burn about 70 kcal to bring that temperature up to 37c. I tend to find that a glass of really cold water increases my appetite too.

ReputationRep:
    build it up slowly, keep fairly low-carb and certainly strongly cyclical of them (meaning not spread out over the day but only in short time windows). I used to get fat on 2500 cals/day and now eat 4000+ and have accidentally lost a stone in the past 8 months. Maybe I have AIDS.

ReputationRep:
    Can I just say that 2000 cals a day applies to the *average* woman, which of course not many are. Theres a way of working out your own recommended calories. I remeber mine was like 1800 or so, but I eat way less than that, and the weight's not exactly flying off, lol. So I'm not sure how accurate it all is. But anyway, you should just consider that '2000' may not be your personal daily recommended intake!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rock_ten)
    build it up slowly, keep fairly low-carb and certainly strongly cyclical of them (meaning not spread out over the day but only in short time windows). I used to get fat on 2500 cals/day and now eat 4000+ and have accidentally lost a stone in the past 8 months. Maybe I have AIDS.
    sorry to be a div but what does cycical mean?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fabbo)
    sorry to be a div but what does cycical mean?
    cylical, a cycle - in this case where your carb intake would be unevenly distributed, having periods of low-carbs and periods of high-carbs.

Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.