andreasz
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I am currently in Year 11 in a British International School in Cyprus (an EU member country). I'll be finishing school in 2019 but then I have to complete 14 months of mandatory military service so I'll be starting university in 2020. I want to study Medicine and I have noticed that fees for international students in the UK are extremely high (35000-50000 pounds a year) so it would be impossible for me to study Medicine there. Do you think that EU students beginning their studies in 2020 will be charged at the overseas rate?
Mightybadger16
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by andreasz)
I am currently in Year 11 in a British International School in Cyprus (an EU member country). I'll be finishing school in 2019 but then I have to complete 14 months of mandatory military service so I'll be starting university in 2020. I want to study Medicine and I have noticed that fees for international students in the UK are extremely high (35000-50000 pounds a year) so it would be impossible for me to study Medicine there. Do you think that EU students beginning their studies in 2020 will be charged at the overseas rate?
Unfortunately, there is just no way of knowing what will happen in terms of Brexit and European/International students over the next decade. We may not have left by then and even if we have, a deal may be agreed regarding EU members and fees. This is all conjecture however as no one (not even the government really) know what will happen.

My advice is plan to study in the UK presuming the current environment, but also look at options in case EU members are regarded as international students. Then you aren't putting all your eggs in one basket so to speak.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by andreasz)
Strategy suggested by mightbadger seems sensible.

Negotiiations to be completed within 2 years of initiation so roughly March 2019.
It depends on the negotiations. Its likely the UK will have bilaterla greements with the countries it is still interested in continuing to exchange students with. Imo you should identify other EU member states you cna study at because there is no guarantee the option will be open for you. have to wait and see like everyone else.
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
So uncertain I'm afraid. Keep your options open.
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by 999tigger)
Strategy suggested by mightbadger seems sensible.

Negotiiations to be completed within 2 years of initiation so roughly March 2019.
It depends on the negotiations. Its likely the UK will have bilaterla greements with the countries it is still interested in continuing to exchange students with. Imo you should identify other EU member states you cna study at because there is no guarantee the option will be open for you. have to wait and see like everyone else.
And even if they are completed by then there will still have to be a timetable for the implementation of any agreements. It could take a while beyond 2020 for things like fee statuses to be clarified. Meanwhile there will be a general election in 2020 (if not before) to further complicate things.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by jneill)
And even if they are completed by then there will still have to be a timetable for the implementation of any agreements. It could take a while beyond 2020 for things like fee statuses to be clarified. Meanwhile there will be a general election in 2020 (if not before) to further complicate things.

Which is why they shouldnt bank on it. If it costs the UK more money, then they are likely to want to ditch it or at least with certain EU member states where its all one way. I'd expect them to hang on to relations with countries where its mutually beneficial. I dont see why we should continue to pay if we dont get anything out of it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    Postgraduate and professional courses Postgraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • University of Warwick
    Warwick Business School Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Feb '20

Has your university offer been reduced?