The Student Room Group
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham

Student union at the university of Birmingham

Hi, I've never used this before so not sure if this is in the right place!

I've received an unconditional for English lit to start in 2017, but I'm torn between here and Manchester. Both courses are great, so its all coming down to the university facilities now.

Could anyone that attends Birmingham please give me a run down of what the student union is like? I'm quite outgoing, like going out with mates and attending events and am a musician and actor, so love gigs and theatre. Also want to get involved in new societies etc. Is the union pro-active and host some good events? Thank you!
Reply 1
Original post by yagalbethannie
Hi, I've never used this before so not sure if this is in the right place!

I've received an unconditional for English lit to start in 2017, but I'm torn between here and Manchester. Both courses are great, so its all coming down to the university facilities now.

Could anyone that attends Birmingham please give me a run down of what the student union is like? I'm quite outgoing, like going out with mates and attending events and am a musician and actor, so love gigs and theatre. Also want to get involved in new societies etc. Is the union pro-active and host some good events? Thank you!

Hey! I'm a first year LLB Law with German Law student. When I talk about the guild, I feel it's important to preface that I'm in the guild several hours a day since I'm on a couple committees and I'm running in two different elections at this time.

I would say that Birmingham is really great for if you are interested in music and theater. Currently, I believe that two different shows are coming out in the next week by groups associated with the guild, if that gives you any idea of how many shows we put on.

When it comes to whether or not the union is pro-active, it depends on what you mean. The union puts on events occasionally and is always doing things around campus if that's what you meant.

While I think that the guild is great overall, I don't believe that it is the most accessible of places in terms of disability. A lot of the rooms aren't accessible via wheelchair and the food served at Joe's (the pub on the ground floor) doesn't include a lot of dietary needs. Then again, I am slightly biased in that I'm on the Disabled Student Association Committee, so I like things to be inclusive, but overall by what you said you are interested in I think you would like it a lot :smile:

We have a society fair during fresher's week which is quite fun (albeit busy), and that would definitely be a great time to look around and see what clubs/socs are right for you :biggrin:
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham
Original post by beewilde
Hey! I'm a first year LLB Law with German Law student. When I talk about the guild, I feel it's important to preface that I'm in the guild several hours a day since I'm on a couple committees and I'm running in two different elections at this time.

I would say that Birmingham is really great for if you are interested in music and theater. Currently, I believe that two different shows are coming out in the next week by groups associated with the guild, if that gives you any idea of how many shows we put on.

When it comes to whether or not the union is pro-active, it depends on what you mean. The union puts on events occasionally and is always doing things around campus if that's what you meant.

While I think that the guild is great overall, I don't believe that it is the most accessible of places in terms of disability. A lot of the rooms aren't accessible via wheelchair and the food served at Joe's (the pub on the ground floor) doesn't include a lot of dietary needs. Then again, I am slightly biased in that I'm on the Disabled Student Association Committee, so I like things to be inclusive, but overall by what you said you are interested in I think you would like it a lot :smile:

We have a society fair during fresher's week which is quite fun (albeit busy), and that would definitely be a great time to look around and see what clubs/socs are right for you :biggrin:

That's so helpful Thankyou! I've firmed it!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending