AmeliaHarper
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
We have recently started climbing the huge mountain that is History Coursework, and, unfortunately, the teacher we are supposed to be doing it with has gone off ill with all the material we need to do the essay.

Because of this, I am currently stranded for things I can do to find Sources as the Internet is being no help. I'm looking for any Sources focusing on Britain and Europe during the Witch Hunts 1580-1680. Anything would be helpful, but I am seriously struggling and need the help as soon as.
username2110825
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by AmeliaHarper)
We have recently started climbing the huge mountain that is History Coursework, and, unfortunately, the teacher we are supposed to be doing it with has gone off ill with all the material we need to do the essay.

Because of this, I am currently stranded for things I can do to find Sources as the Internet is being no help. I'm looking for any Sources focusing on Britain and Europe during the Witch Hunts 1580-1680. Anything would be helpful, but I am seriously struggling and need the help as soon as.
"…another witch … was thereupon apprehended, and searched by women, who had for many years known the devil's marks, and found to have three teats about her, which honest women have not: so upon command from the Justice, they were to keep her from sleep two or three nights, expecting in that time to see her familiars, which the fourth night she called in by their several names, and told them what shapes, a quarter of an hour before they came in, there being ten of us in the room,"
[They assumed the shapes of a white kitten, a fat spaniel, a long-legged greyhound, a black rabbit, and a polecat].

(Hopkins, Discovery of witches, 1647).
(retrieved from: https://faculty.history.wisc.edu/som...67/367-131.htm)

This source shows a common description of witches in the 17th C, you can work with that to show what people were looking for, and how it often had devil connotations, or more accurately their misconceptions.
This book is more or less the epitome of 17th century witch-hunting material, go check it out.

Research and use these key events:
  • Trier Witch Trials (Germany, 1581 - 1593)
  • Fulda Witch Trials (Germany, 1603 - 1606)
  • Basque Witch Trials (Spain, 1609 onwards)

• Würzburg Witch Trial (Germany, 1626 - 1631)

• Bamberg Witch Trial (Germany, 1626 - 1631)

• North Berwick Witch Trial (Scotland, 1590). This one is interesting because it involves King James VI of Scotland, later I of England.

• -> on a related note, check out his 1597 book "Daemonologie", probably created as a result of that experience.

Doctor Fian engaged in necromancy, from Newes from Scotland (relevant to the North Berwick trials).
What does this artwork tell you about contemporary beliefs about witchcraft?
Also this would be fine to use, since to get a high mark in your coursework you should be using a variety of media sources.

I'm sure there's more you can find from the Wikipedia sources for each of the trials, but this should start you off. Best of luck
Captain Haddock
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
The witch hunts are a pretty vast topic so it really depends on the question your answering, but here are some recommendations.

Secondary sources:

James Sharpe, Witchcraft in Early Modern England (a readable, short, up to date introduction. You could get through this in a day, easy)
Brian Levack, The Witch Hunt in Early Modern Europe (the authoratitve introduction to the subject)
Norman Cohn, Europe's Inner Demons (explores the intellectual background to the witch hunts)
James Sharpe, Instruments of Darkness (a more in-depth look at the English witch hunts)
Keith Thomas, Religion and the Decline of Magic (a comprehensive overview of superstition and magical belief in early modern England)
Carlo Gizburg, Ecstasies: Deciphering the Witch's Sabbath (attempts to deconstruct the archetype of the witch's sabbath by examining its possible roots in popular folklore and spiritual practices)

Primary sources:

Heinrich Kramer, Malleus Maleficarum
James I, Daemonologie
Reginald Scot, The Discoverie of Witches
Matthew Hopkins, The Discovery of Witches
The Isobel Gowdie confessions
The Canon Episcopi
Captain Haddock
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by SkyRees)
"…another witch … was thereupon apprehended, and searched by women, who had for many years known the devil's marks, and found to have three teats about her, which honest women have not: so upon command from the Justice, they were to keep her from sleep two or three nights, expecting in that time to see her familiars, which the fourth night she called in by their several names, and told them what shapes, a quarter of an hour before they came in, there being ten of us in the room,"
[/size]
(retrieved from: https://faculty.history.wisc.edu/som...67/367-131.htm)
I have a framed print of this on my bedroom wall :lol:

username2110825
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Captain Haddock)
I have a framed print of this on my bedroom wall :lol:

So...Medieval Pokemon? 😂
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Stirling
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 26 Sep '19
  • Heriot-Watt University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Scottish Borders Campus Undergraduate
    Fri, 27 Sep '19
  • Royal Holloway, University of London
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Sat, 28 Sep '19

Are you attending a Global Climate Strike?

Yes, I'm striking (38)
7.42%
No, but I wanted to/I support the cause (299)
58.4%
No (175)
34.18%

Watched Threads