4th Jan: What’s the best advice you’ve ever been given?

Watch
BBC Radio 1
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
What’s the best advice you’ve ever been given?

On The Surgery this week we’re getting some life lessons for 2017. Just like Lukas Graham, we’ll be sharing advice from people aged 7 to 60 on what they’ve learnt about life.

What piece of advice made a difference to your life? What advice would you give to a friend in need? What’s the hardest life lesson you’ve ever had to learn?

Join Katie Thistleton and Dr Radha on Radio 1, Wednesday 4th January from 9pm to get some positive advice on making the best of 2017/

Please note: you can post on this forum anonymously.
username2088165
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
One particular piece of advice, given to me by my mother, which sticks in my mind is: 'you can only be responsible for your own actions'.

There have been times in the past where, as an example, I've tried to be supportive for people who I've met with different mental health issues. Some of these people have been grateful for my support, however others have been somewhat hostile and accused me of not supporting them, when I've been trying my best to do just that, disregarding my advice and instead continuing down a path of unhappiness, self-loathing, and sometimes, self-harm.

I often found myself feeling responsible for that, when in reality their actions had nothing to do with me at all, hence my mother's advice. You can only do so much for other people, and if you're unable to help them, then whatever they decide to do, however upsetting, it isn't your fault.

I know this could be a bit controversial and you could likely find arguments against it, but it's something which I personally like to keep in mind
Sophhhowa
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Work until ur idols become ur rivals
EC
Badges: 18
Report 4 years ago
You cannot make everyone feel and think as deeply as you do.

''Despite how open, peaceful and loving you attempt to be, people can only meet you, as deeply as they've met themselves."
TK_23
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Do your best and nobody can ask for more.
TK_23
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Romans 8:28 ~ all things work together for good for those who love God and are called according to His purpose

^ for me it's just a reminder that things have a reason behind them even if we don't see it now.
Toy Soldiers
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by BBC Radio 1)
What’s the best advice you’ve ever been given?

On The Surgery this week we’re getting some life lessons for 2017. Just like Lukas Graham, we’ll be sharing advice from people aged 7 to 60 on what they’ve learnt about life.

What piece of advice made a difference to your life? What advice would you give to a friend in need? What’s the hardest life lesson you’ve ever had to learn?

Join Katie Thistleton and Dr Radha on Radio 1, Wednesday 4th January from 9pm to get some positive advice on making the best of 2017/

Please note: you can post on this forum anonymously.
As an apprentice, I've been given plenty of advice from many older colleagues and the best advice I have been given was by one that regretting not doing the experiences he wanted to do at my age. He said that I should travel and to see the raw beauty of this world that we live in. He also said that time is the only thing you don't get back and that I should fill it with experiences rather than the regrets and 'what-if' moments. I took on his advice and now planning my first solo trip to Japan in a few months time. I believe this trip will be the start of many and I am hoping to develop my personal planning, organisation, confidence and overall development as a person.

A few words can really go a long way - all the way to the other side of the world that is!
teenstressaddict
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Don't spend more than 5 minutes worrying about something that won't matter in 5 years.
23ojrfyb
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Never been given excellent advice. Advice is relative so it is not advice, but rather manipulating someone under pretext of "helping" them.
Ivan Levkovich
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Do not rely on everyone but on yourself, because even your shadow disappears in the dark!
longsight
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
To be as anonymous as possible on the internet
Ivan Levkovich
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by longsight)
To be as anonymous as possible on the internet
Thanks for your advice! I'll certainly try cos it concerns me
It's****ingWOODY
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Never make snow angels in a dog-friendly park.
wolfmoon88
Badges: 21
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by WoodyMKC)
Never make snow angels in a dog-friendly park.
Why are you awake

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's****ingWOODY
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Cause I'm a raging insomniac :lol: Why were you awake
longsight
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Ivan Levkovich)
Thanks for your advice! I'll certainly try cos it concerns me
The sheer brilliance here is that I was only posting to test Anonymous Posting in something. And it didn't work.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (149)
60.82%
I don't have everything I need (96)
39.18%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed