Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

UK: Latest YouGov Survey Shows Only 28% Believe in a 'God' Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Palmyra)
    Christian fundamentalists is a U.S. thing not a U.K. thing, all our Christians are cute homophobic old women

Muslims are only 5% of the population, Jews even less, no way either of those become a majority in our lifetimes
    The Islamic population has exploded, by the time we're in care homes or robotic exoskeletions Britain could easily be majority minority at 25% Muslim (not that it's a real issue). The Jewish population is basically a couple of steps ahead of the wider Western population, for years Jewish people had stagnant birthrates , but within the population there was a clear trend of religious Jews having huge families and liberal Jews who were the majority for a long time having birthrates well below replacement. A cursory look would have predicted the extinction of Jewish people with the high rates of out-marriage, not true anymore.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by l'etranger)
    The Islamic population has exploded, by the time we're in care homes or robotic exoskeletions Britain could easily be majority minority at 25% Muslim (not that it's a real issue). The Jewish population is basically a couple of steps ahead of the wider Western population, for years Jewish people had stagnant birthrates , but within the population there was a clear trend of religious Jews having huge families and liberal Jews who were the majority for a long time having birthrates well below replacement. A cursory look would have predicted the extinction of Jewish people with the high rates of out-marriage, not true anymore.
    Surely our ingrained liberalism will convert many 2nd/3rd generation muslims/jews etc.
    I know a few who are muslim, hindu, Sikh and they have grown up in highly religious households and yet none of them hold such views. They may 'believe' half-heartedly but are not severe in their views. Their kids will surely complete the transformation.

I'm not saying all are like this but i do think many will become atheists/agnostics over time

(Original post by Palmyra)
      Did you even look at the survey methodology/demographics?
      For this survey? No. But for previous surveys, there is almost always a huge disparity between YouGov survey results (e.g. quite consistently getting much higher support for Sweden Democrats than other surveys find) and the results of other polling companies, and the only reasonable conclusion is that YouGov is at fault.
      • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
      Seems like l'etranger's reply to me was deleted? Or moved?

Anyway, i'll respond to what i read...

I don't understand how you think that Trump and Brexit are totally against liberalism. They have been caused by disillusionment due to the failings of neo-liberalism. Lack of housing, school places etc.

Inconjunction with the fact Labour completely lost control over how many were coming into the country (with regard to Brexit).

You can't say that Brexit and Trump are what is the future when the old voted for Brexit. The young voted remain.

Clinton was a horrible candidate in the case of America.

I strongly believe that out values of tolerance, acceptance and democracy will prevail. Education is the answer, not blind indoctrination which is what religion has brought this far (although there are many good values associated with Christianity actually).

ReputationRep:
      The numbers are getting lower for those of us who believe in God because quite frankly it's difficult to do so in today's society. Everyone always arranges things for Sunday moringings which can break our pattern of going to church. Then there's a huge pressure on loosing ur V card in ur teens meaning no one saves it for marriage. Divorce rates are getting even higher because people are loosing sight of what's important in a relationship. Too many abortions and unwanted pregnancies are happening because of underage/ drunk sex (believe me my best friend has been affected by this). Society is so different than what it was 100yrs ago and not all of it is for the better unfortunately.

(Original post by Unistudent77)
        You can't say that Brexit and Trump are what is the future when the old voted for Brexit. The young voted remain.
        Yes, the young voted remain. However, the elderly population is increasing as a share of the total population. As our generation ages, the question is whether we turn towards the same elderly politics, and the answer is probably "yes".

The best way to see how the future political landscape looks, is to compare our generation's voting habits to other generations' voting habits when they were our age. Its really hard to find reliable studies on this, but I get the impression that the young white population is around as right-wing as the baby-boomers, and certainly much more right-wing than Generation X (our parents' generation), when we look at how they voted when they were our age.

I strongly believe that out values of tolerance, acceptance and democracy will prevail.
        See, Faith isn't always bundled together with religion.
        • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Mathemagicien)
        Yes, the young voted remain. However, the elderly population is increasing as a share of the total population. As our generation ages, the question is whether we turn towards the same elderly politics, and the answer is probably "yes".

The best way to see how the future political landscape looks, is to compare our generation's voting habits to other generations' voting habits when they were our age. Its really hard to find reliable studies on this, but I get the impression that the young white population is around as right-wing as the baby-boomers, and certainly much more right-wing than Generation X (our parents' generation), when we look at how they voted when they were our age.

See, Faith isn't always bundled together with religion.
        Depends how we measure what people are voting for.
        Like 'New Labour' being so popular in 97, 01 etc, a sign of the need for 'middle England' and the traditionally left labour party moving right for votes.

That was a move right.

The present Tory party is further right than 7-12 years ago.

However, will we have the sane disillusionment in the future?

I don't think brexit/ukip can be seen as entirely down to people holding more right-wing views. They are right wing things but they have voted for them due to a whole host of reasons, not all of which are right-wing in nature.

Some have become more right-wing due to failings in how multi-culturalism and immigration has been handled. In the future that may well be managed in a more effective way...

That was wishful thinking rather than actual 'faith'. I just don't buy the fact that intolerant religion will sweep in.
        There is no evidence for that.
        We have seen quite large immigration to the UK as a whole and yet a steady decline in the belief in god.
        I'm not sure if we can get a breakdown of how immigrants answered the questions but i'd love to see it, particularly the trends ie first generation belief will be high but subsequent generations will be 'westernised' to a large extent, ushering in associated 'liberal' values such as Equality, freedom and Education.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by l'etranger)
        The Islamic population has exploded
        Only the extremists, you racist!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
      Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
      Useful resources
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
      Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.