Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

I'm an Indian international student who applied for BA in English Language and Literature to Oxford for 2017. Currently waiting for Jan 11 for the decisions to be released. I was wondering: unconditional offers are rare in general, and it seems impossible that Oxford would ever give somebody an unconditional offer. But nowhere on the Oxford website or other official college guide websites does it say that Oxford doesn't give unconditional offers. So, have you guys ever actually heard of somebody who got an unconditional offer from Oxford? How much of a genius would you really have to be to get one of those?

-scroshogulla

ReputationRep:
    Well I know of people who got unconditionals. They applied after achieving their qualifications
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scroshogulla)
    Hey,

I'm an Indian international student who applied for BA in English Language and Literature to Oxford for 2017. Currently waiting for Jan 11 for the decisions to be released. I was wondering: unconditional offers are rare in general, and it seems impossible that Oxford would ever give somebody an unconditional offer. But nowhere on the Oxford website or other official college guide websites does it say that Oxford doesn't give unconditional offers. So, have you guys ever actually heard of somebody who got an unconditional offer from Oxford? How much of a genius would you really have to be to get one of those?

-scroshogulla
    Oxford only gives unconditional offers for people who have already achieved their A2 (or equivalent) qualifications. There's simply no reason for Oxford to give out unconditionals for those with pending qualifications.

ReputationRep:
    I study in the American system, and I took all my qualifying ACT, SAT, and AP tests previously. Does anyone know if this qualifies Americans for unconditional offers?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dunc914)
    I study in the American system, and I took all my qualifying ACT, SAT, and AP tests previously. Does anyone know if this qualifies Americans for unconditional offers?
    I'm afraid it doesn't.

Spoiler:
    Show

It's conditional on what Trump does in his first 6 months in office

ReputationRep:
    yes. if you took all of your AP tests, ACT, and SAT then it will be unconditional. If you are taking APs this year and you wrote that in your UCAS then they may hold you conditional to that.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scroshogulla)
    Hey,

-scroshogulla

All the courses have publicised entry requirements. A requirement is something that is compulsory - so (as pointed out by others) there are no unconditional offers unless you already have the entry requirements specified or can demonstrate equivalent qualifications.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plagioclase)
    Oxford only gives unconditional offers for people who have already achieved their A2 (or equivalent) qualifications. There's simply no reason for Oxford to give out unconditionals for those with pending qualifications.
    Even these are conditional offers in some sense. Such people still have to provide proof that they've achieved the grdaes claimed on UCAS. (At least, I had to – maybe my college thought I was untrustworthy!)

ReputationRep:
    I just got my formal conditions letter (applied from USA after a year at Johns Hopkins) and it was unconditional because I already had APs, SATs, ACTs, and college credits. Definitely possible

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BJack)
    Even these are conditional offers in some sense. Such people still have to provide proof that they've achieved the grdaes claimed on UCAS. (At least, I had to – maybe my college thought I was untrustworthy!)
    Even then it's still conditional - you need to show them the money as an international applicant. And then a visa from the government.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.