The Student Room Group

Unconditional Offers - Does Oxford really have them?

Hey,

I'm an Indian international student who applied for BA in English Language and Literature to Oxford for 2017. Currently waiting for Jan 11 for the decisions to be released. I was wondering: unconditional offers are rare in general, and it seems impossible that Oxford would ever give somebody an unconditional offer. But nowhere on the Oxford website or other official college guide websites does it say that Oxford doesn't give unconditional offers. So, have you guys ever actually heard of somebody who got an unconditional offer from Oxford? How much of a genius would you really have to be to get one of those?

-scroshogulla
Reply 1
Well I know of people who got unconditionals. They applied after achieving their qualifications :smile:
Original post by scroshogulla
Hey,

I'm an Indian international student who applied for BA in English Language and Literature to Oxford for 2017. Currently waiting for Jan 11 for the decisions to be released. I was wondering: unconditional offers are rare in general, and it seems impossible that Oxford would ever give somebody an unconditional offer. But nowhere on the Oxford website or other official college guide websites does it say that Oxford doesn't give unconditional offers. So, have you guys ever actually heard of somebody who got an unconditional offer from Oxford? How much of a genius would you really have to be to get one of those?

-scroshogulla

Oxford only gives unconditional offers for people who have already achieved their A2 (or equivalent) qualifications. There's simply no reason for Oxford to give out unconditionals for those with pending qualifications.
Reply 3
I study in the American system, and I took all my qualifying ACT, SAT, and AP tests previously. Does anyone know if this qualifies Americans for unconditional offers?
Original post by Dunc914
I study in the American system, and I took all my qualifying ACT, SAT, and AP tests previously. Does anyone know if this qualifies Americans for unconditional offers?

I'm afraid it doesn't.

Spoiler

Original post by Dunc914

yes. if you took all of your AP tests, ACT, and SAT then it will be unconditional. If you are taking APs this year and you wrote that in your UCAS then they may hold you conditional to that.
Hey,

-scroshogulla

All the courses have publicised entry requirements. A requirement is something that is compulsory - so (as pointed out by others) there are no unconditional offers unless you already have the entry requirements specified or can demonstrate equivalent qualifications.
Reply 7
Original post by Plagioclase
Oxford only gives unconditional offers for people who have already achieved their A2 (or equivalent) qualifications. There's simply no reason for Oxford to give out unconditionals for those with pending qualifications.

Even these are conditional offers in some sense. Such people still have to provide proof that they've achieved the grdaes claimed on UCAS. (At least, I had to maybe my college thought I was untrustworthy!)
Reply 8
Original post by Dunc914

I just got my formal conditions letter (applied from USA after a year at Johns Hopkins) and it was unconditional because I already had APs, SATs, ACTs, and college credits. Definitely possible
Original post by BJack
Even these are conditional offers in some sense. Such people still have to provide proof that they've achieved the grdaes claimed on UCAS. (At least, I had to maybe my college thought I was untrustworthy!)

Even then it's still conditional - you need to show them the money as an international applicant. And then a visa from the government.
Reply 10
Did you get in?
Will I get an unconditional offer hypothetically if I have already met the entry requirements, that is, the APs SATs and subject tests from the American school system even though my education system is Canadian?
Hey,

I'm an Indian international student who applied for BA in English Language and Literrature to Oxford for 2017. Currently waiting for Jan 11 for the decisions to be released. I was wondering: unconditional offers are rare in general, and it seems impossible that Oxford would ever give somebody an unconditional offer. But nowhere on the Oxford website or other official college guide websites does it say that Oxford doesn't give unconditional offers. So, have you guys ever actually heard of somebody who got an unconditional offer from Oxford? How much of a genius would you really have to be to get one of those?

-scroshogulla

Yeah you can, my friend got an unconditional to uni of oxford (he is grade 8 organ and 4 a* predictions)
so if I got my rEsults, I am exempt from interviews?
Original post by iamsoanxious
so if I got my rEsults, I am exempt from interviews?

No!
Original post by Dub_Lord
Yeah you can, my friend got an unconditional to uni of oxford (he is grade 8 organ and 4 a* predictions)

As a current student I can tell you that we all know that this does NOT happen and has not happened for years and years (because it used to let in academically dodgy but rich kids from powerful families studying at leading public schools so my parents tell me!).

@BrasenoseAdm explain above Oxford give academically unconditional offers only if you have already obtained the required grades and even then you have to prove it (and as others have pointed out foreign students may still have to prove funding, visas etc. even then).

Every year on here somebody claims unconditional offers based on predicted grades (no doubt in good faith trusting what someone has told them) and every year it has to be debunked. The offers ALWAYS match the published requirements.
Original post by SonOfAGeek
As a current student I can tell you that we all know that this does NOT happen and has not happened for years and years (because it used to let in academically dodgy but rich kids from powerful families studying at leading public schools so my parents tell me!).

@BrasenoseAdm explain above Oxford give academically unconditional offers only if you have already obtained the required grades and even then you have to prove it (and as others have pointed out foreign students may still have to prove funding, visas etc. even then).

Every year on here somebody claims unconditional offers based on predicted grades (no doubt in good faith trusting what someone has told them) and every year it has to be debunked. The offers ALWAYS match the published requirements.

Nope, that can't be true. Head boy of Berkhamsted School (current year 13) has an unconditional to Uni of Oxf (same guy as i previously spoke about. Berko sch has over 20 oxbridge applicants with 100% of them going through to the interview stage so far. I know its rare but it definately can happen and my source is another student at berko sch who is currently in Oxford now as they will be calling him in for an interview at some point during the next few days.
Reply 17
my sister in 1995 (History) - UCAS required grades came back: E E. I still remember staring at the little printed letters on the slip. I think that is the closest to an 'unconditional offer' that the UCAS system could muster. These were days before TSA , and separate written entrance examinations were still part of the application process (in addition to UCAS). she also got a 1000 GBP grant to study (everyone did) and there was no such thing as tuition fees. Lols.

Latest