Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Family From Europe want to move here permanently. Need advice Watch

I recently had some family members over this Christmas and they have been bragging to me about how it is so easy to claim benefits here. I literally told them it is because of people like them that this nation voted out in the EU referendum! People on the dole disgust me - unless of course if they are disabled or in genuine need.

Anyways, this family managed to get a National Insurance number by claiming that they were permanently residing at one of my other cousins house. I knew it was their intention to settle here one day and I always confronted them about this. I don't see why they should come here when they are able to live there mortgage free! They have a nice flat that they don't need to pay a mortgage for and to be honest you can't really "live off the dole" here. They said that I am not from London or know my own country enough - which really pissed me off! I was like "excuse me, ***** please, don't you dare EVER question my roots and birth place. Unlike some people, I was born here and never claimed off the dole!".

The point is, it has now become very apparent that they want to settle here and I am finding it hard to convince them. I don't want them here because they will use me and need me for like everything! My parents will make me help them and it is not easy being an Asian either - because in Asian cultures families tend to stick up for one another!

They are leaving this country soon, but what should I do?

ReputationRep:
    If you don't mind me asking, how old are you and what level of education are you at?
    I am Asian and I am doing A2.
    My tip is, if you are at uni or planning to, always say that you are going to live by the uni in student accommodation.
    If family members keep calling or pestering you by phone or either electronic means, please block them

(Original post by asim1999)
    If you don't mind me asking, how old are you and what level of education are you at?
    I am Asian and I am doing A2.
    My tip is, if you are at uni or planning to, always say that you are going to live by the uni in student accommodation.
    If family members keep calling or pestering you by phone or either electronic means, please block them
    Am 25, fresh out of university (graduated, 2016)

Na fam, they are here for a holiday but I know they have applied for and successfully in the process of obtaining a National Insurance number. It was their attitude and approach to the situation that was pissing me off. They claim their country is good to a lot of people but then want to move here. Like surely, if your country was better you wouldn't want to leave right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Am 25, fresh out of university (graduated, 2016)

Na fam, they are here for a holiday but I know they have applied for and successfully in the process of obtaining a National Insurance number. It was their attitude and approach to the situation that was pissing me off. They claim their country is good to a lot of people but then want to move here. Like surely, if your country was better you wouldn't want to leave right?
    What is your relationship with them like, do you get along well and are you close

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 4, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.