Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have offers from 4/5 choices, 3 of which are unconditionals. I am completely torn between accepting to study politics at the University of Edinburgh or the University of Stirling. I'm aware that Edinburgh as seen as more prestige, however, Stirling was my first choice and seemed to be the place i would feel most comfortable. I did not think I had the grades for a conditional offer from Edinburgh never mind an unconditional. So, I'm really just looking for some guidance/advice on which path I should take. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Surely you'd be mad to decline Edinburgh haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by caitlinstowe)
    I have offers from 4/5 choices, 3 of which are unconditionals. I am completely torn between accepting to study politics at the University of Edinburgh or the University of Stirling. I'm aware that Edinburgh as seen as more prestige, however, Stirling was my first choice and seemed to be the place i would feel most comfortable. I did not think I had the grades for a conditional offer from Edinburgh never mind an unconditional. So, I'm really just looking for some guidance/advice on which path I should take. Thanks
    Congrats on your offers!
    I applied to both but don't have any offers or rejections yet! I have a similar issue, Stirling has a lovely campus and it seems really chilled out, nice city but Edinburgh is prestigious and closer to home so I know the city better.
    I'd say look at the course, think where you'll be most comfortable and also what other subjects you can take for 2nd or 3rd subject in years 1-2. I was also impressed by Edinburgh's extra curricular but Stirling has more international opportunities and many good societies too.
    You'll be invited to visiting days and you have plenty of time to decide. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shadow Hunters)
    Congrats on your offers!
    I applied to both but don't have any offers or rejections yet! I have a similar issue, Stirling has a lovely campus and it seems really chilled out, nice city but Edinburgh is prestigious and closer to home so I know the city better.
    I'd say look at the course, think where you'll be most comfortable and also what other subjects you can take for 2nd or 3rd subject in years 1-2. I was also impressed by Edinburgh's extra curricular but Stirling has more international opportunities and many good societies too.
    You'll be invited to visiting days and you have plenty of time to decide. Good luck!
    THANK YOU for your reply!! Yes I've been looking into the different subjects and stuff and my other issue is the same as yours, if I go to Stirling I'd need to move whereas with Edin I could stay at home. Where else have u applied to?

ReputationRep:
    THANK YOU for your reply!! Yes I've been looking into the different subjects and stuff and my other issue is the same as yours, if I go to Stirling I'd need to move whereas with Edin I could stay at home. Where else have u applied to?
    No worries!
    Did you go to the open days? I didn't go to Edinburgh's one but I went to Stirling's! My parents are convinced I should go to Stirling bc I'll be only 17 when I go to university and it's a very safe campus with cheap food and living. :dontknow:
    But Edinburgh is where I've lived most of my life so I know the city really well, know where is dodgy, good and I can get a train easily to see my family whereas I'd have to change trains going from Stirling.
    They have offer holders threads by the way for both universities I think, you should check them out!
    I also applied to- Glasgow, Aberdeen and St Andrews. Only applied the week before Christmas though.
    Glasgow is lovely too and I could possibly get an offer from them but idk the city so well and I'm not so much into nightlife and the other two are far from home so I'm not sure. Wbu?

ReputationRep:
    No worries!
    Did you go to the open days? I didn't go to Edinburgh's one but I went to Stirling's! My parents are convinced I should go to Stirling bc I'll be only 17 when I go to university and it's a very safe campus with cheap food and living. :dontknow:
    But Edinburgh is where I've lived most of my life so I know the city really well, know where is dodgy, good and I can get a train easily to see my family whereas I'd have to change trains going from Stirling.
    They have offer holders threads by the way for both universities I think, you should check them out!
    I also applied to- Glasgow, Aberdeen and St Andrews. Only applied the week before Christmas though.
    Glasgow is lovely too and I could possibly get an offer from them but idk the city so well and I'm not so much into nightlife and the other two are far from home so I'm not sure. Wbu?
    yeah I did but the other way around haha, I missed Stirling but went to Edinburgh, it is such a beautiful place!! My family are the complete opposite, although I'll be 18 my dad really doesn't want me to go to Stirling because he doesn't want me to move out haha! I will check those out, tysm I applied to Glasgow, Dundee and Strathclyde as well, I have a conditional from Glasgow and an unconditional from dundee and Strathclyde is all i'm waiting on! I applied on the first if December and got my first offer on the second it was crazy! and I got 3 in the space of a week, then it took a while for Edin and Strathclyde is taking EVEN longer haha

ReputationRep:
    yeah I did but the other way around haha, I missed Stirling but went to Edinburgh, it is such a beautiful place!! My family are the complete opposite, although I'll be 18 my dad really doesn't want me to go to Stirling because he doesn't want me to move out haha! I will check those out, tysm I applied to Glasgow, Dundee and Strathclyde as well, I have a conditional from Glasgow and an unconditional from dundee and Strathclyde is all i'm waiting on! I applied on the first if December and got my first offer on the second it was crazy! and I got 3 in the space of a week, then it took a while for Edin and Strathclyde is taking EVEN longer haha
    I nearly applied to politics degrees and I'm aware that Strathclyde have a fairly competitive politics course! But Edinburgh should be more competitive surely. Edinburgh are said to take ages with offers so I think I might have awhile to wait, but I'm hoping to hear from Stirling fairly soon.
    What are your grades by the way?
    My parents plan to move house before I go to university and they have no clue where to so wherever I go I am staying in student accommodation. I wanted to learn how to cook and be more independent anyway so I'm happy with that. I know many people who want to live at home when at university though.
    Congrats on getting an offer from Glasgow, loved the Glasgow campus!
    Hopefully you'll get 5 offers which would be amazing! :five:

ReputationRep:
    I nearly applied to politics degrees and I'm aware that Strathclyde have a fairly competitive politics course! But Edinburgh should be more competitive surely. Edinburgh are said to take ages with offers so I think I might have awhile to wait, but I'm hoping to hear from Stirling fairly soon.
    What are your grades by the way?
    My parents plan to move house before I go to university and they have no clue where to so wherever I go I am staying in student accommodation. I wanted to learn how to cook and be more independent anyway so I'm happy with that. I know many people who want to live at home when at university though.
    Congrats on getting an offer from Glasgow, loved the Glasgow campus!
    Hopefully you'll get 5 offers which would be amazing! :five:
    I only got ABBB which really isn't that great! I was super disappointed with my results so I made sure my personal statement was as good as it could be so I'm assuming that is whats getting me all these offers haha! Good luck, I hope you hear back soon. You have to keep me updated!

ReputationRep:
    I only got ABBB which really isn't that great! I was super disappointed with my results so I made sure my personal statement was as good as it could be so I'm assuming that is whats getting me all these offers haha! Good luck, I hope you hear back soon. You have to keep me updated!
    That's really good TBH.
    I got similar grades at AABB.
    I have hope for Edinburgh but idk I think I'll have awhile longer to wait for a reply.
    I probably annoyed everyone with the amount of times I got people to check out my personal statement. I think mine is good but idk what they're looking for at all.
    Sure I will, I'll Private message if I get any news, tell me if you decide on which to go to also!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sahil19)
    Surely you'd be mad to decline Edinburgh haha
    Thats true, haha! I think that's the one I'm going to accept

ReputationRep:
    Omg I got ABBBC and I want to apply for politics at Edinburgh and I thought I'd have no chance?
    I'm guessing you'll have national 5 maths though ahah, how much will that affect offers?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.