Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey there, just wondering if anyone has taken Graphic Design at Anglia Ruskin at the Cambridge campus and is able to give their opinion on the course and the university. Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Raritas)
    Hey there, just wondering if anyone has taken Graphic Design at Anglia Ruskin at the Cambridge campus and is able to give their opinion on the course and the university. Thanks!
    Hey 👋🏻

I just finished my first year in Graphic Design at ARU Cambridge! It's pretty good! Here's what I had todo for my first semester

For each lecture you'll be set a few smaller project for each tutor so for me it was more like this.

Tina - Portrait Illustration ,Live Brief, Banner Design and a Web Design Project
    Will - Typography projects, double page spread, poster design
    Jon - App Design, Packaging design

The lectures seem to have an intense thing for Typography 🙄 Not my favourite but I've definitely learned a lot while being here. Below on Dribbble is one project I submitted the App Design for a Travel Application.
    https://dribbble.com/jakeround

Overall the course is pretty good! The lecture's make the subject interesting they're friendly the contextual studies side of the course of boring but that's just a one 2 hour lecture a week, usually one 3000 word essay per a semester.

Anything else ya wanna know let me know I'll answer
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    My sister did illustration (and animation). She had somewhat mixed feelings about it; she did well overall (with one or two exceptional modules) but she felt frustrated that for a number of her modules there was a consensus that you need to conform to the tutors style in order to do well.

Also as the prior poster noted, graphic design, from what I've seen at the degree shows, is much more focused on e.g. typography, advertising etc; if your interest is more in terms of digital art for e.g. games, comics, graphic novels etc you may find the illustration or games art courses more interesting (although I think the latter focuses more on 3D art, although there was some variety at the degree show I went to).

Illustration seemed to have a variety of styles represented, some more traditional and some more modern/digital leaning. Same story with animation; my sister did a form of paper silhouette animation, one of her friends did stop motion, another did traditional drawn (i.e. disney/cartoon/anime type) animation and others did 3D animation and other things.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.