Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

found out I was annoying - now i'm socially awkward Watch

after being 'kicked' out of my friendship group I realised I was annoying.
    I've tried to talk less, be a good listener, respect peoples privacy.
    But now I'm just socially awkward. I never talk much. I'm always scared I will get on someone's nerves or say things at the wrong time.
    Any advice?
    • Political Ambassador

Don't try to please others, it's impossible to please everybody. Just do you. And please don't ever feel scared again to express yourself, it's the best thing we have, the freedom to be creative and say whatever we think about.

Those people who thought you're annoying were never good friends in the first place and their opinion shouldn't even be relevant. Respect what other people say and be a good listener, but also socialize and be open. There has to be a balance between what you say and what you don't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    But now I'm just socially awkward. I never talk much. I'm always scared I will get on someone's nerves or say things at the wrong time.
    Any advice?
    try get back into a friendship group but maybe turn down the intsensity a little bit. After year 9 and all the way past 6th form I thought I was annoying to people so I just backed away from everyone and pretty much self exiled myself from it all. Wish I'd made more of an effort as I could have had better friendships and more confidence. Don't let this carry on for too long or it'll affect you in future.

ReputationRep:
    Any advice?
    Be yourself. You haven't lost anything from being kicked out of a friendship group. If people are willing to cut off friendship with you like that, especially if they think you are annoying then they aren't worth your time. Get better friends and don't try to make other people like you.

(Original post by EC)
    Don't try to please others, it's impossible to please everybody. Just do you. And please don't ever feel scared again to express yourself, it's the best thing we have, the freedom to be creative and say whatever we think about.

Those people who thought you're annoying were never good friends in the first place and their opinion shouldn't even be relevant. Respect what other people say and be a good listener, but also socialize and be open. There has to be a balance between what you say and what you don't.
    thanks you, this helped (;
    • Political Ambassador

thanks you, this helped (;
    :hugs:
    Take care.

ReputationRep:
    THese so called friends don't sound like real friends to me ! They're obviously just not your type of people , that's okay though ! Not everyone gets along with each other.

This has hard an effect on you , clearly, try getting yourself out there again. Remember what you were like before this happened , it's difficult getting your confidence knocked but now there's room to build on it again.

Baby steps ! Approach someone knew , listen but also respond appropriately, be interested but don't delve too deep ect ect you'll get there !!! Good luck x

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 3, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.