Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I feel betrayed, do I dump her? Watch

ReputationRep:
    It turns out my girlfriend lied about her sexual history. She claimed to only have had a couple of sexual partners in the past. But I've come to learn it was actually more like a couple dozen. I'm am absolutely disgusted to be honest and still in shock.

What makes it even worse is her Instagram posts, all that honesty is key in a relationship nonsense.

I am fuming. What do I do?

ReputationRep:
    If u feel that strongly then I'd dump her but if she PROPERLY apologies and is genuinely sorry, then forgive her
    • TSR Support Team

(Original post by TheGuyReturns)
    It turns out my girlfriend lied about her sexual history. She claimed to only have had a couple of sexual partners in the past. But I've come to learn it was actually more like a couple dozen. I'm am absolutely disgusted to be honest and still in shock.

What makes it even worse is her Instagram posts, all that honesty is key in a relationship nonsense.

Does it really matter about her past if she is with you now, long as she is loyal to you surely it doesn't matter.
    • Very Important Poster

Honestly I think thats quite an extreme reaction. Betrayal is a bit strong imo. You seem more upset about the fact she has slept with other people than any lying. Perhaps you arent best suited and you should just mutually split.

ReputationRep:

What matters is what she's like NOW, not what she WAS

ReputationRep:
    Can you get over feeling betrayed or not?

ReputationRep:
    Perfectly acceptable to under estimate this number a tad in the early stages of a relationship.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zarek)
    Perfectly acceptable to under estimate this number a tad in the early stages of a relationship.
    Oh, and why is that exactly?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, definitely.

Don't let people tell you "it's in the past it doesn't matter", you have your own views, stick with them.

ReputationRep:

This isn't Meth

Perhaps you could use her then dump her. Sounds like a plan Walter.
    • Political Ambassador

I get why she didn't confess to you in the first place. Why are you judging her so much?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EC)
    I get why she didn't confess to you in the first place. Why are you judging so much?
    I can judge whatever I like. It's my preference, wow! So its fine to lie then?

ReputationRep:
    Oh, and why is that exactly?
    Because the past with respect to this type of thing is nobody else's business unless once chooses to share it.

ReputationRep:
    TSR is the worst place to make a thread about this. It's extremely gynocentric and full of feminists. You've already decided what you want to do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zarek)
    Because the past with respect to this type of thing is nobody else's business unless once chooses to share it.
    Who are you to decide that for everyone exactly?
    • Very Important Poster

Do her a favour and let her go. Its obviously something you cant handle and there seems very little chance you will respect her in the future because of your preceived injury/netrayal/low opinion of her.

ReputationRep:
    The question you should ask yourself is why did she lie about it?

In my opinion, she probably did it so that she didn't come over to be a slut and put you off her. Knowing a girl had been with a few guys would have made me way less keen to make her my GF, so maybe she lied to so you didn't get put off.
    • Political Ambassador

She just didn't feel like sharing the whole truth with you, probably wanted to wait until you were ready. Why does the number of sexual partners actually matter? Having sex is not a crime.
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    It is up to you what you do. I personally wouldn't care at all about the sexual history, but I would care that she had lied. The thing is that there are always small lies in relationships; it is up to you to decide if this is the kind of lie you want to routinely overlook or not because there will probably be others :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by banana5)
    The question you should ask yourself is why did she lie about it?

In my opinion, she probably did it so that she didn't come over to be a slut and put you off her. Knowing a girl had been with a few guys would have made me way less keen to make her my GF, so maybe she lied to so you didn't get put off.
    She lied, yet suddenly she's the victim? Stop victim blaming me please.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 3, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.