Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I need advice about the transition from school to sixth form? Watch

ReputationRep:
    So I have decided to go my school's sixth form. However, they are in partnership with another sixth form in my area that offers more courses and allows me to study courses there as well as at my school's sixth form.

I was thinking about definitely taking one subject at the other sixth form and maybe another one and the others at my school's sixth form.
    The reason for doing a couple or three courses at my school's sixth form is purely for the fact of the teachers and the system of the subjects I would be taking.

In the other sixth form, I was thinking of taking Gov and politics or photography or even both.
    I have already decided combined English did put sociology and history down but thinking of changing one of them

If I was just to take one class up there, do you think I would be able to make, new friends? As I would really like to have a friendship group because unfortunately I don't have many friends at my school.

Thanks to anyone who replies.

ReputationRep:
    Hello!
    I'm a year 13 student at a sixth form college in Shropshire, I originally took R.E, History, English Lit and Politics but I dropped R.E at A2. I struggled making friends at school too so I get why you're worried, I think being at two separate sixth forms might be a good way to make friends because it widens the pool of new people. What's nice about starting sixth form isn't that everyone is in need of new friends (even if they brought some with them from secondary school) and that makes approaching people less nerve wracking. Three of my five closest friends are people I met at college and I know other people who struggled socially in school have met people they have stuff in common with too. If you've got any questions I'm happy to answer them, especially if they're about subjects I take.
    Best wishes,
    Izzy
    (Original post by Bethhmaii)
    So I have decided to go my school's sixth form. However, they are in partnership with another sixth form in my area that offers more courses and allows me to study courses there as well as at my school's sixth form.

I was thinking about definitely taking one subject at the other sixth form and maybe another one and the others at my school's sixth form.
    The reason for doing a couple or three courses at my school's sixth form is purely for the fact of the teachers and the system of the subjects I would be taking.

In the other sixth form, I was thinking of taking Gov and politics or photography or even both.
    I have already decided combined English did put sociology and history down but thinking of changing one of them

If I was just to take one class up there, do you think I would be able to make, new friends? As I would really like to have a friendship group because unfortunately I don't have many friends at my school.

Thanks to anyone who replies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by queenoftheiceni)
    Hello!
    I'm a year 13 student at a sixth form college in Shropshire, I originally took R.E, History, English Lit and Politics but I dropped R.E at A2. I struggled making friends at school too so I get why you're worried, I think being at two separate sixth forms might be a good way to make friends because it widens the pool of new people. What's nice about starting sixth form isn't that everyone is in need of new friends (even if they brought some with them from secondary school) and that makes approaching people less nerve wracking. Three of my five closest friends are people I met at college and I know other people who struggled socially in school have met people they have stuff in common with too. If you've got any questions I'm happy to answer them, especially if they're about subjects I take.
    Best wishes,
    Izzy
    Thank you a lot, I was just so worried about making friends if I took one class there, as I'm very excited to meet new people!!

Could you possibly tell me what History and English lit and politics is like?

Thanks again!!
    Beth.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you a lot, I was just so worried about making friends if I took one class there, as I'm very excited to meet new people!!

Could you possibly tell me what History and English lit and politics is like?

Thanks again!!
    Beth.
    I'm sure you'll make loads of friends! Out of the three my favourite subject is History because I find History essays the most satisfying to write and you're constantly being fed new information so it doesn't get boring. The texts I've studied in English Literature have been great but it's a less predictable subject to get good grades in as it's more subjective. Politics is probably the easiest to achieve in because what's required of you in the exams is pretty formulaic and providing you revise a lot it can be memorised, the amount of facts required can get tedious though! It differs from course to course but it's also worth considering how much coursework you'll get for each subject because depending on how easy you find coursework that will help/hinder your achievement at a-level. In my courses Politics had no coursework which puts a lot of pressure on for the exams but means it is pretty light on homework, English has two pieces of coursework which require a lot of effort but secure part of your grade early on which makes exams less stressful, History has one big coursework piece that I really enjoyed doing as it's similar to a university dissertation (albeit a lot shorter!). I'd take into consideration first which one you do best in at GCSE and then which one you enjoy more because liking your subjects is very important but it's hard to like a subject you're struggling in and the jump from GCSE to A-Level is marked. I wouldn't worry about the transition academically though because you're slowly eased into A-Level work throughout year 12 so it doesn't feel like a big leap.
    Hope that helps!
    Izzy

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure you'll make loads of friends! Out of the three my favourite subject is History because I find History essays the most satisfying to write and you're constantly being fed new information so it doesn't get boring. The texts I've studied in English Literature have been great but it's a less predictable subject to get good grades in as it's more subjective. Politics is probably the easiest to achieve in because what's required of you in the exams is pretty formulaic and providing you revise a lot it can be memorised, the amount of facts required can get tedious though! It differs from course to course but it's also worth considering how much coursework you'll get for each subject because depending on how easy you find coursework that will help/hinder your achievement at a-level. In my courses Politics had no coursework which puts a lot of pressure on for the exams but means it is pretty light on homework, English has two pieces of coursework which require a lot of effort but secure part of your grade early on which makes exams less stressful, History has one big coursework piece that I really enjoyed doing as it's similar to a university dissertation (albeit a lot shorter!). I'd take into consideration first which one you do best in at GCSE and then which one you enjoy more because liking your subjects is very important but it's hard to like a subject you're struggling in and the jump from GCSE to A-Level is marked. I wouldn't worry about the transition academically though because you're slowly eased into A-Level work throughout year 12 so it doesn't feel like a big leap.
    Hope that helps!
    Izzy
    Thanks, this was really helpful, well I already do English lit and History at GCSE and really enjoy them and I might actually take politics ( it would be with government) which is 100% exam, though.

Thanks again, I hope your A levels go well!!
    Beth

ReputationRep:
    Hope that helps!
    Izzy
    Did you make any friends in your politics class?
    Loads of people keep telling me not to take it because everyone who takes it will probably be snobs and won't befriend me, which I don't agree with but it tends to play on my mind (

ReputationRep:
    Hey Beth,
    I've replied to this question in my response to the message you sent me so I won't repeat it here,
    Hope to hear from you soon,
    Izzy 😊
    Did you make any friends in your politics class?
    Loads of people keep telling me not to take it because everyone who takes it will probably be snobs and won't befriend me, which I don't agree with but it tends to play on my mind (

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.