Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

TRUE OR FALSE: The new £5 notes are made from animal fats Watch

ReputationRep:
    Comment what you thinkkkk (lol the vegans tho)

ReputationRep:
    Wait... this isn't a true or false thing, is it? The bank of England publicly announced that they are made with animal fats (
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/bu...-a7445221.html). Now it's just a debate about whether that's a problem. I mean, I don't particularly care, but I'm not a vegetarian/vegan - I mean, I can understand why they would be slightly frustrated, but there are far bigger animal welfare issues out there to get angry about. I also see no need for a recall - by all means have future notes made with non-animal fats (which I'm sure they'll do), and eventually phase out the current fivers (as they reach their natural end point) in favour of ones made with non-animal fats...

ReputationRep:
    Yup. 100% fat. They drip all over the place

(Original post by sudent)
      Comment what you thinkkkk (lol the vegans tho)
      With animal fats, not from.

(Original post by adamdaniell)
      Wait... this isn't a true or false thing, is it? The bank of England publicly announced that they are made with animal fats (
      http://www.independent.co.uk/news/bu...-a7445221.html). Now it's just a debate about whether that's a problem.
      Considering the fats are taken from animal waste (aka dung) it isn't worth debating with vegans.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Tootles)

Considering the fats are taken from animal waste (aka dung) it isn't worth debating with vegans.
      They're taken from dung? I totally didn't realize that. I mean, it wouldn't bother me either way (just finished eating a lunch chocked full of meat), but it's interesting to discover. I'd still say future notes should find an alternate ingredient, though - it's not too difficult, and some people do have religious/cultural objections...

They're taken from dung? I totally didn't realize that. I mean, it wouldn't bother me either way (just finished eating a lunch chocked full of meat), but it's interesting to discover. I'd still say future notes should find an alternate ingredient, though - it's not too difficult, and some people do have religious/cultural objections...
        If you can find scriptural support for this in any established canon, I will send you a fiver.

ReputationRep:

Its actually the 'raw, hard fat of beef or mutton found around the loins and kidneys' so there is cruelty involved.

ReputationRep:
        I couldn't care a less.

Its actually the 'raw, hard fat of beef or mutton found around the loins and kidneys' so there is cruelty involved.
          Reference?

ReputationRep:
          Half a cow's worth of cruelty.

People outside the Internet don't really care.
          • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
          Good grief.

Better ban these items and stop using them too then:

Plastic (yes the keyboard you are typing on right now and pretty much everything in the modern world you can think of!)
          Perfume
          Beer
          Plywood
          Crayons
          Condoms
          Candles
          Paint
          Soap
          Shampoo and conditioner
          Car and bicycle tyres
          Toothpaste
          Glue
          Bio fuels
          Fabric softener
          White and brown sugar.......

Stop the world, I want to go back to the 7th century ffs !

ReputationRep:
          If you can find scriptural support for this in any established canon, I will send you a fiver.
          Did I mention that it had scriptural support? Nope - just that it is a relatively small thing to do which will make a number of people happier (and inconvenience nobody). Since, you asked, however... ancient Hindu texts say that people should practice ahimsa (non-violence against against all life). Can I get my fiver?

Did I mention that it had scriptural support? Nope - just that it is a relatively small thing to do which will make a number of people happier (and inconvenience nobody). Since, you asked, however... ancient Hindu texts say that people should practice ahimsa (non-violence against against all life). Can I get my fiver?
            Raiding an animal's scat doesn't count - you have no fiver

ReputationRep:
            Raiding an animal's scat doesn't count - you have no fiver
            That depends if what you say is true, or whether that other poster said is true. I found one newspaper that says that "The new polymer note uses beef tallow made from suet, which is hard fat found around the animal's kidneys, stomach and other organs." So it looks like what the other person says is true - which means it goes against ahimsa, and I get my fiver.

So you have to either welch on your bet, or provide a source for your scat. ;P

That depends if what you say is true, or whether that other poster said is true. I found one newspaper that says that "The new polymer note uses beef tallow made from suet, which is hard fat found around the animal's kidneys, stomach and other organs." So it looks like what the other person says is true - which means it goes against ahimsa, and I get my fiver.

So you have to either welch on your bet, or provide a source for your scat. ;P
              Well I assumed scat because the source I said said "waste products" - which means either scat or bodies. If scat then ahimsa isn't violated. If bodies then ahimsa isn't violated. But I am not providing a source if OP doesn't. Likewise you didn't find me verifiable scriptiral support that I can look up, that instructs adherents to that religion not to make plastic from ****.

ReputationRep:
              Well I assumed scat because the source I said said "waste products" - which means either scat or bodies. If scat then ahimsa isn't violated. If bodies then ahimsa isn't violated. But I am not providing a source if OP doesn't. Likewise you didn't find me verifiable scriptiral support that I can look up, that instructs adherents to that religion not to make plastic from ****.
              There is a big difference. Waste from scat implies that the animal is still alive; waste from bodies means that the animals have just been killed for other reasons, and they are just making use of all the remains (which, as a meat eater, I approve of). However, for someone who does follow ahimsa, this would not be approved of - the animal should have never been killed in the first place - making use of all the bits doesn't make the killing right.

Places to find info on ahimsa (which is also practiced by Buddhists and Jainists):
              Dundas, Paul: The Jains, second edition, London 2002, p. 160; Wiley, Kristi L.: Ahimsa and Compassion in Jainism, in: Studies in Jaina History and Culture, ed. Peter Flügel, London 2006, p. 438; Laidlaw pp. 153–154.Also, for Hinduism in particular, the relevant piece of scripture is in the Mahabharata (translation:
              Ahimsa is the highest virtue, Ahimsa is the highest self-control, Ahimsa is the greatest gift, Ahimsa is the best suffering, Ahimsa is the highest sacrifice, Ahimsa is the finest strength, Ahimsa is the greatest friend, Ahimsa is the greatest happiness, Ahimsa is the highest truth, and Ahimsa is the greatest teaching)

ReputationRep:
              (Original post by uberteknik)
              Good grief.

Better ban these items and stop using them too then:

Plastic (yes the keyboard you are typing on right now and pretty much everything in the modern world you can think of!)
              Perfume
              Beer
              Plywood
              Crayons
              Condoms
              Candles
              Paint
              Soap
              Shampoo and conditioner
              Car and bicycle tyres
              Toothpaste
              Glue
              Bio fuels
              Fabric softener
              White and brown sugar.......

Stop the world, I want to go back to the 7th century ffs !
              Reference? And also I didn't say to stop using them I just wanted to know other ppl's views lol.

There is a big difference. Waste from scat implies that the animal is still alive; waste from bodies means that the animals have just been killed for other reasons, and they are just making use of all the remains (which, as a meat eater, I approve of). However, for someone who does follow ahimsa, this would not be approved of - the animal should have never been killed in the first place - making use of all the bits doesn't make the killing right.

Places to find info on ahimsa (which is also practiced by Buddhists and Jainists):
                Dundas, Paul: The Jains, second edition, London 2002, p. 160; Wiley, Kristi L.: Ahimsa and Compassion in Jainism, in: Studies in Jaina History and Culture, ed. Peter Flügel, London 2006, p. 438; Laidlaw pp. 153–154.Also, for Hinduism in particular, the relevant piece of scripture is in the Mahabharata (translation:
                Ahimsa is the highest virtue, Ahimsa is the highest self-control, Ahimsa is the greatest gift, Ahimsa is the best suffering, Ahimsa is the highest sacrifice, Ahimsa is the finest strength, Ahimsa is the greatest friend, Ahimsa is the greatest happiness, Ahimsa is the highest truth, and Ahimsa is the greatest teaching)
                None of those are scriptural.

Spoiler:
                Show
                I hope you know I'm being a **** on purpose :lol:

ReputationRep:
                None of those are scriptural.

Spoiler:
                Show

I hope you know I'm being a **** on purpose :lol:
                The Mahabharata is - and I wasn't taking the whole thing seriously myself. I also just like being right, and trying to argue about stuff. Plus, I want one of those delicious meaty bank notes. ;P

Submit reply
              TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 3, 2017
            • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
              What newspaper do you read/prefer?
              Useful resources
              Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
            • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
              Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.