Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Math project- Integration in applied mathematics Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I have to write a 3000 words essay (something similar to EPQ/EE but has to be more advanced) in maths.
    The highest grades received are in applied mathematics and I decided that I am going to do my research in this field ( I have the greatest interest in it)
    A bunch of people told me to look into population dynamics but I must admit that I am not that interested in it and have done my essays in this field
    I want my essay to deal something with integration, derivatives and trigonometry. The highest grates receive essays that have applied something in real life and or/ created their own formula.

Personally, I had something in my mind but I cannot shape up the ideas. The angular velocity of a body in an elliptical orbit or something in engineering idk

Could you please help me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BioOx)
    Hello,

I have to write a 3000 words essay (something similar to EPQ/EE but has to be more advanced) in maths.
    The highest grades received are in applied mathematics and I decided that I am going to do my research in this field ( I have the greatest interest in it)
    A bunch of people told me to look into population dynamics but I must admit that I am not that interested in it and have done my essays in this field
    I want my essay to deal something with integration, derivatives and trigonometry. The highest grates receive essays that have applied something in real life and or/ created their own formula.

Personally, I had something in my mind but I cannot shape up the ideas. The angular velocity of a body in an elliptical orbit or something in engineering idk

Could you please help me
    In the real world, the uses of integration are generally (a) for calculating all sorts of things in physics and (b) for finding the areas and volumes of surfaces in engineering (for example). In most cases, the functions that have to be integrated are too complicated to be done algebraically, so computer packages such as Mathematica are used to find a numerical value to any desired degree of accuracy - they generally do this by applying some variant of the Trapezium Rule or Simpson's Rule (which you may have learnt about in your mathematics studies) with many thousands of strips.
    So if any of that interests you, perhaps you could derive some of the known formulae for numerical integration and/or create a new algorithm of your own.
    The other use of integration that you might think of is in solving differential equations, but most of the DEs that govern important phenomena like atmospheric changes and fluid dispersion actually don't have analytical (algebraic) solutions, so again numerical methods have to be used. This is why weather forecasting companies, for example, use banks of supercomputers that work day and night to calculate what the expected changes in the atmosphere will be based on measurements of the current conditions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HapaxOromenon3)
    In the real world, the uses of integration are generally (a) for calculating all sorts of things in physics and (b) for finding the areas and volumes of surfaces in engineering (for example). In most cases, the functions that have to be integrated are too complicated to be done algebraically, so computer packages such as Mathematica are used to find a numerical value to any desired degree of accuracy - they generally do this by applying some variant of the Trapezium Rule or Simpson's Rule (which you may have learnt about in your mathematics studies) with many thousands of strips.
    So if any of that interests you, perhaps you could derive some of the known formulae for numerical integration and/or create a new algorithm of your own.
    The other use of integration that you might think of is in solving differential equations, but most of the DEs that govern important phenomena like atmospheric changes and fluid dispersion actually don't have analytical (algebraic) solutions, so again numerical methods have to be used. This is why weather forecasting companies, for example, use banks of supercomputers that work day and night to calculate what the expected changes in the atmosphere will be based on measurements of the current conditions.
    Thank you very much! Could you give me a more specific example?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BioOx)
    Thank you very much! Could you give me a more specific example?
    What exactly are you requesting an example of?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HapaxOromenon3)
    What exactly are you requesting an example of?
    b) I should not be using anything in regards of software
    Engineering

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BioOx)
    b) I should not be using anything in regards of software
    Engineering
    http://www.ijee.ie/articles/Vol18-1/Ijee1262.pdf
    This link looks like it might be helpful.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.