Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

I have been doing some work experience at a vets practice for smaller animals recently and I feel like I'm too quiet? There's a couple questions I want to ask on here as I'm a bit of a newbie ...

Firstly, I will have a chat with the nurses or vets when they're there, but mainy about studies etc. I don't want to butt into conversations obviously, but should I be a part of them such as normal day to day life? I don't want to seem rude?

Also what sort of things should I actually be looking out for or asking because I'm in year 11 so I don't really know what I should be expecting to know or learn from work experience for uni?

Thanks for any help ...

ReputationRep:
    They're at work and it can be a little awkward to have someone stood quietly in the corner so if they ask you how your Christmas/weekend was then join in the conversation; you can generally gauge from them.

Generally vets and nurses love being asked questions as it shows you're interested, engaged and keen to learn. If they've done a test, ask what it shows/rules out and what normal ranges are. Possible financial restraints in diagnostics or treatment, use of drugs and abbreviations. Sometimes it's best to wait until after a consult while they're typing up notes. Theatre is also a great chance to ask questions, especially routine procedures.
    If I'm in consults with a new vet I'll often as where they studied and how they liked it to get conversation going.

While you're not expected to learn specifics at this stage you're there to see what the job actually entails, problems vets face, how to handle animals as well as things such as why we neuter pets and vaccination schedules. It's a great place to learn about communicating with clients and colleagues too.

ReputationRep:
    Ahh, that makes sense...
    thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.