The Student Room Group

Check if this is correct!

Sorry, a bit of a click bait title with the capitals. Can someone check if this explanation is correct? Maths question -80% of those who clicked lost at this point. Thanks :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Wasn't expecting this level of interest lmao

Posted from TSR Mobile
yh
Original post by Moltenmo
Sorry, a bit of a click bait title with the capitals. Can someone check if this explanation is correct? Maths question -80% of those who clicked lost at this point. Thanks :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

That looks fine. However, the proof would have worked much more neatly if you used 2n 2n and 2n+1 2n+1 as your consecutive numbers. You'd end up with 4(2n2+n)+1 4(2n^2+n) + 1 , which is more explicit in showing the required result.
Reply 4
Original post by kingaaran
That looks fine. However, the proof would have worked much more neatly if you used 2n 2n and 2n+1 2n+1 as your consecutive numbers. You'd end up with 4(2n2+n)+1 4(2n^2+n) + 1 , which is more explicit in showing the required result.

Ahh thank you! One question I have. Is it better to use 2n and 2n+1 as the consecutive numbers as opposed to n and n+1 in proof questions? Or was it only better in this scenario?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Ahh thank you! One question I have. Is it better to use 2n and 2n+1 as the consecutive numbers as opposed to n and n+1 in proof questions? Or was it only better in this scenario?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Providing there are no other conditions to the consecutive numbers of course.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hmm, it depends on what you're trying to show it is a multiple of. Here we wanted a multiple of 4, so I realised that because we have squares, we may as well use 2n 2n , as when squared, that'll give us the factor of 4 we want.

However, using 2n 2n and 2n+1 2n+1 will result in larger coefficients, which given the nature of questions you're likely to get, will probably make the proofs come out a lot easier / nicer.
Reply 7
Original post by kingaaran
Hmm, it depends on what you're trying to show it is a multiple of. Here we wanted a multiple of 4, so I realised that because we have squares, we may as well use 2n 2n , as when squared, that'll give us the factor of 4 we want.

However, using 2n 2n and 2n+1 2n+1 will result in larger coefficients, which given the nature of questions you're likely to get, will probably make the proofs come out a lot easier / nicer.

That makes sense. Thank you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest