Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I was wondering what the best options are for accommodation are for me while studying Psychology at LJMU. I don't particularly care for en-suite, but would love great facilities and a good location (in terms of night-life and also for the course). I really don't know where to begin so bit of a guide (in any depth) would be greatly appreciated.. Thanks
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

The majority of courses are taught in various areas of the city centre, which really isn't that big, meaning you have quite a lot of accommodation options open to you!

Have you looked at the guide on the website?

https://www.ljmu.ac.uk/~/media/files...-2017-2018.pdf

It's pretty useful in breaking down what each of the Halls are offering. What ones have you had your eye on? If you're not fussed on an en suite then there's quite a few lively choices. Though you might notice, most of the newer buildings are the most expensive and rooms are en suite as a result (for example, Byrom Point/Glassworks).

The obvious choices for you if you just want to roll out of bed and not walk far are probably Marybone and Liberty Atlantic Point. Apollo Court and North Western Hall are a tiny bit further, but really not far either. North Western Hall is pretty lively from what I've heard and is right next to Grand Central accomm (also lively) and Lime Street Station. It would be very easy for you to walk back here after a night out (with a mate of course).

(Original post by Catriona132)
    I was wondering what the best options are for accommodation are for me while studying Psychology at LJMU. I don't particularly care for en-suite, but would love great facilities and a good location (in terms of night-life and also for the course). I really don't know where to begin so bit of a guide (in any depth) would be greatly appreciated.. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hey,
    From September 2017 I am planning on studying a nursing course at LJMU. I have read that it is recommended that nursing students stay in Marybone 3. I was just wondering whether you have nursing students living in other accommodations?

Also, if so I was wondering whether it would be possible to have a flat of nurses just not in Marybone 3

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

You might get nurses in other locations but it's not commonplace to be honest. The healthcare students are grouped across the Marybone sites to at least give that guarantee that you'll be living amongst people who'll have a similar workload and schedule to yourself. As you say though, it's reccommended not compulsory, so if you really wanted to stay somewhere else you could. Though, this could cause problems for you if you end up being the only nurse in the village!

If you already know a group of nurses starting with you, you could try and email the accommodation team to see about the possibility of being all placed in a flat together - [email protected]. The Glassworks and Liberty Atlantic Point are also close to where you'll be studying.

Kerri

(Original post by Chelslt123)
    Hey,
    From September 2017 I am planning on studying a nursing course at LJMU. I have read that it is recommended that nursing students stay in Marybone 3. I was just wondering whether you have nursing students living in other accommodations?

Also, if so I was wondering whether it would be possible to have a flat of nurses just not in Marybone 3

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Liverpool John Moores)
    Hey,

The majority of courses are taught in various areas of the city centre, which really isn't that big, meaning you have quite a lot of accommodation options open to you!

Have you looked at the guide on the website?

https://www.ljmu.ac.uk/~/media/files...-2017-2018.pdf

It's pretty useful in breaking down what each of the Halls are offering. What ones have you had your eye on? If you're not fussed on an en suite then there's quite a few lively choices. Though you might notice, most of the newer buildings are the most expensive and rooms are en suite as a result (for example, Byrom Point/Glassworks).

The obvious choices for you if you just want to roll out of bed and not walk far are probably Marybone and Liberty Atlantic Point. Apollo Court and North Western Hall are a tiny bit further, but really not far either. North Western Hall is pretty lively from what I've heard and is right next to Grand Central accomm (also lively) and Lime Street Station. It would be very easy for you to walk back here after a night out (with a mate of course).
    Thanks so much for clarifying! :-)

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm going to be studying history in September hopefully and am stuck on accommodation! I want somewhere lively and fun to live and was thinking of the new St. Lukes View accommodation. Do you think that is wise or any other suggestions?

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

I've just had to look St Lukes View up...I know exactly the spot they're building on...your lectures will literally be round the corner for you if you go here. It's also very much in the thick of it, you'll be less than a minute away from popular bars and clubs.

No doubt, it'll be really nice, because everything in it will be brand new. Obviously, I don't know what the final building will be like but personally, I'd feel like it was a little bit exposed, it's as central as it gets and for some people that's ideal. If you go ahead with this, I'd try and see if you can ask for a room at the back of the building . The front (I imagine, unless they put something like a garden or gates there) has quite a lot of double decker buses and traffic outside.

There's not really one particular accommodation that you'll get the majority of History students in or anything like that, you'll get a fair enough spread around all of the ones listed under the site:

https://www.ljmu.ac.uk/discover/your.../accommodation

I suppose it depends on what's more important to you, is it keeping it within a budget? being closest walking distance or one that's considered more lively than others? (though all of them can be just as lively as the ones with a rep!)

Other one's that will be very close for you - Cambridge Court, The Arch, Grand Central (party-wise) x

(Original post by charlbarakat)
    Hi, I'm going to be studying history in September hopefully and am stuck on accommodation! I want somewhere lively and fun to live and was thinking of the new St. Lukes View accommodation. Do you think that is wise or any other suggestions?

ReputationRep:
    I'm hopefully going to be studying computer games development or computer security in September, and I'm wondering what accommodation would be closest to the main teaching area? I've been looking at the glassworks, st. Luke's view and Byrom point

ReputationRep:
    Hey Ellie! i've been looking at those three too! I've been accepted for marketing and LJMU is my favorite at the moment! I think St. Lukes View is closest to most buildings and for me byrom+glassworks are about 20 mins walk. But i did see the post about st. likes view being exposed being in the middle of town.

ReputationRep:
    Hi there!

I am a PhD student in LJMU and I am looking for someone to takeover my 10th floor Gold Studio at Byrom Point-opposite LJMU. It is located at the heart of Liverpool, 5-10 minutes walk from all shops, local amenities and train stations! The Accommodation is brand new, it offers many services and you will save money if you takeover my studio compared to booking from the site!

Please let me know if you are interested!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charlbarakat)
    I just applied for my accommodation today and i went for the arch is anyone else here applied for the arch, I'm goignt to be studying law

ReputationRep:
    Hey Amy I'm thinking about the arch too not applied just yet but will be soon

ReputationRep:
    it looks so nice there and ive put grand central as my second choice

ReputationRep:
    It does have you visited it? x

ReputationRep:
    No Im going to see it on Saturday if I can, what are you applying for? x

ReputationRep:
    nice let me know how it is! I'm going in a few weeks currently in the US, I've got my offer for marketing what room have you applied for? and how long does it take to know that you're successful or not? x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jess_rolph)
    Hey Ellie! i've been looking at those three too! I've been accepted for marketing and LJMU is my favorite at the moment! I think St. Lukes View is closest to most buildings and for me byrom+glassworks are about 20 mins walk. But i did see the post about st. likes view being exposed being in the middle of town.
    I applied for byrom point as my 1st choice for accommodation, and glassworks and Marybone 2 for 2nd and 3rd option!! LJMU is my firm and insurance choice, I'm hopefully going to be studying computer games development or computer security

ReputationRep:
    Nice! i think byrom and glassworks might be a little too far for me and the arch/st likes view is a lot closer. but maybe see you in september! x

ReputationRep:
    I have booked my accommodation for Atlantic Point for September, studying Geography

ReputationRep:
    Started JMU last September and studying Chemistry at the Byrom Street campus.
    I live in North Western Hall at the moment, it's £93/week. I think it's amazing value, it's got by far the best location of any of the student halls, it's in front of the train station, it's got the Merseyrail 'tube' station 30 seconds away, it's above a Spoons, it's got bus links to all of Merseyside a 1-5 minute walk away, Aldi/Tesco/Sainsbury's/McDonald's is <5 mins away. I could go on...

Grand Central is on par, you get a few extras for your money (it's nicer in there) and the location is effectively the same.

There's no worst but there definitely are bad value ones such as Atlantic Point (just book Marybone, better location and less expensive) and anything >£110 is too expensive imo, especially if you have high-earning, tight-pocketed parents.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.