Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Who else is doing Access to HE Science? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Fellow Access to HE Science students...

How is your course going?
    What specific subjects are you studying?
    Are you planning on going to uni after? (and if yes, what will you be studying?)
    What are your career aspirations?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smooth Sailing)
    Fellow Access to HE Science students...

How is your course going? It's hard. People in my class have studies a-levels before and seeing them get all distinctions and merits sucks while I get merits and passes. But I'm getting the swing of it.
    What specific subjects are you studying? Chemistry, microbiology, anatomy and physiology, psychology
    Are you planning on going to uni after? (and if yes, what will you be studying?) Diagnostic radiography
    What are your career aspirations? MSc ultrasound and then practice as a sonographer.

ReputationRep:
    Hello! I started an Access to HE: Science course in September and it's going great. There's a lot of work to do but i enjoy it and get a real sense of accomplishment every time i hand in another assignment.
    I'm specifically studying Maths and Physics (24 graded units for Maths, 21 for Physics and then 3 ungraded for Physics and the final 9 in Academic Skills (unfortunately compulsory!) ).
    I am planning on going to University in the Autumn and should (if i make the grade!) be studying Astrophysics.
    I aspire to be an Astrophysicist working in research. How about you OP?

ReputationRep:
    Thank you both for your replies!

Both of yours sound so interesting :O

I too am studying chemistry, maths and physics right now, as well as some mechanics units. I am planning on studying mechanical engineering at university, and am particularly interested in renewable energy and sustainability.

I wish you both the best with your studies!

(sorry btw, not sure how to like mention people on here)

ReputationRep:
    I completed my Access to HE Science recently, so I thought I'd join in

It was really good! Some difficult concepts in places and a lot of further reading required... plus several late nights spent cursing at my laptop... but I really enjoyed the course, all things considered.

Biology (24 credits), Chemistry (18 credits) and Physics (12 credits).

Are you planning on going to uni after? (and if yes, what will you be studying?)
    Yup - Veterinary Medicine. I have two offers so far, one with a prelim year, one without.

Practising vet - wanted to do it years ago, but never had the bottle to. It's never too late!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by seize_the_day)
    I completed my Access to HE Science recently, so I thought I'd join in

It was really good! Some difficult concepts in places and a lot of further reading required... plus several late nights spent cursing at my laptop... but I really enjoyed the course, all things considered.

Biology (24 credits), Chemistry (18 credits) and Physics (12 credits).

Yup - Veterinary Medicine. I have two offers so far, one with a prelim year, one without.

Practising vet - wanted to do it years ago, but never had the bottle to. It's never too late!
    Did you get all distinctions? What unis offered you places?

What are your GCSES?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KyleH123)
    Did you get all distinctions? What unis offered you places?

What are your GCSES?
    Yes, 45 Ds! They're not easy to get, but if you work backwards from the marking criteria it's not so bad. I've had offers from Nottingham and Surrey... still awaiting a verdict from a 3rd interview. GCSEs were 4 A*s, 7 As, 1 B & 2 Cs.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, 45 Ds! They're not easy to get, but if you work backwards from the marking criteria it's not so bad. I've had offers from Nottingham and Surrey... still awaiting a verdict from a 3rd interview. GCSEs were 4 A*s, 7 As, 1 B & 2 Cs.
    That's very impressive. I've had 3 assignments back; the results haven't been pretty.

PPM (atomic structure), PPP (psych exam, awful.) and PM (nutrition). Getting into the swing of things, and I really have to start getting my **** together cause my minimum offer is 30 merits, highest being 30 merits, 15 distinctions. I really want to go to Exeter..

When I got those assignments back and re-read them, it's shocking how stupid some of the stuff I put in there is..

Obviously these grades don't determine the whole module (bar psychology), so hopefully I can scrape a merit from them.

ReputationRep:
    The PPM was on atomic structure (quite a simple assignment) and I'm appalled at the grade. What resources did you use? What advice do you have for me?

Did you take a gap year then? I'll have to try and bribe you to read over my assignments before I submit them

ReputationRep:
    That's very impressive. I've had 3 assignments back; the results haven't been pretty.

PPM, PPP (psych exam, awful.) and PM. Getting into the swing of things, and I really have to start getting my **** together cause my minimum offer is 30 merits, highest being 30 merits, 15 distinctions. I really want to go to Exeter.. When I got those assignments back and re-read them, it's shocking how stupid some of the stuff I put in there is..

Obviously these grades don't determine the whole module (bar psychology), so hopefully I can scrape a merit from them.
    It's an adjustment process, getting back into education. You'll be okay - just learn from the feedback you're being given

I've got to admit, I did go out and buy the "recommended reading" textbooks for my course, and they really were invaluable (despite the cost!). The assessments our course sent out had criteria printed at the beginning - I learnt to scrutinise that after getting a resub back, because I hadn't hit what they were asking for. Remember that Ds require both breadth and depth to your answers... so you need multiple points, and you need to be able to explain them or at least show that you've read fairly deeply into them. Also quality is a big one (a grade descriptor which meant the difference between an M and a D for me on more than one occasion) - get your spelling, punctuation and referencing right, and you're halfway there!

I didn't take a gap year, no. I left school with just GCSEs, and followed an apprenticeship route and I've worked ever since. It means I have Level 3 quals and a reasonable job, just nothing relevant to a veterinary application Always happy to give some pointers if it helps you out

ReputationRep:
    seize_the_day

What really hurts is seeing people getting awesome grades because they've done A-levels before..

I think I've got referencing down, and I'm comfortable with spelling and punctuation; I can get my spelling and grammar checked over at a department in the college, which I will start doing before I submit my assignments actually.

It's staying on topic, knowing what information is relevant, and finding good sources for information. All this I can get from the assignment criteria. You're right.

I'll keep you posted on my grades if that's OK? Would be good to get tips from a student I want to be like.

ReputationRep:
    seize_the_day

What really hurts is seeing people getting awesome grades because they've done A-levels before..

I think I've got referencing down, and I'm comfortable with spelling and punctuation; I can get my spelling and grammar checked over at a department in the college, which I will start doing before I submit my assignments actually.

It's staying on topic, knowing what information is relevant, and finding good sources for information. All this I can get from the assignment criteria. You're right.

I'll keep you posted on my grades if that's OK? Would be good to get tips from a student I want to be like.
    I can understand the frustration, but keep your chin up! I didn't do A levels. It's all doable You're right 100% - once you know what they're looking for, and what kind of thing you need to be including/omitting, it becomes way, way easier!

By all means - inbox me anytime

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Feesha)
    Hello! I started an Access to HE: Science course in September and it's going great. There's a lot of work to do but i enjoy it and get a real sense of accomplishment every time i hand in another assignment.
    I'm specifically studying Maths and Physics (24 graded units for Maths, 21 for Physics and then 3 ungraded for Physics and the final 9 in Academic Skills (unfortunately compulsory!) ).
    I am planning on going to University in the Autumn and should (if i make the grade!) be studying Astrophysics.
    I aspire to be an Astrophysicist working in research. How about you OP?
    Hi Feesha,

Can I ask what is the Maths content like, is it GCSE level and what topics most involved in Maths ?

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone doing the course at Manchester College, I've been offered a conditional place if I get a B in Maths ? I'm wanting to get into Dentistry hopefully.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MedicineMaybe)
    Hi Feesha,

Can I ask what is the Maths content like, is it GCSE level and what topics most involved in Maths ?
    Hello

Maths is about A Level grade as opposed to GCSE so it's definitely a step up. I wouldn't say it's too hard, as long as you're good with numbers and do plenty of practice questions. Our topics are split into:
    Calculus I (semester one)
    eg Integration, differentiation, Trig, Logs

Mechanics I (semester one)
    eg SUVATs, Projectiles, Momentum, Motion

Calculus II (semester two)
    Further Mechanics (semester two)

Algebra and Functions. (whole year but this is the 'easy' topic where we're only graded pass/fail as opposed to D/M/P)

ReputationRep:
    Hello

Maths is about A Level grade as opposed to GCSE so it's definitely a step up. I wouldn't say it's too hard, as long as you're good with numbers and do plenty of practice questions. Our topics are split into:
    Calculus I (semester one)
    eg Integration, differentiation, Trig, Logs

Mechanics I (semester one)
    eg SUVATs, Projectiles, Momentum, Motion

Calculus II (semester two)
    Further Mechanics (semester two)

Algebra and Functions. (whole year but this is the 'easy' topic where we're only graded pass/fail as opposed to D/M/P)
    Thanks for the reply sounds interesting and scary ha. I just hope I pass my GCSE this summer to get onto the course. Where did you do the access course ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MedicineMaybe)
    Thanks for the reply sounds interesting and scary ha. I just hope I pass my GCSE this summer to get onto the course. Where did you do the access course ?
    I'm doing it at my local college (Leeds City College)

Good luck for your GCSE, i'm sure you'll do great!

ReputationRep:
    Hi there ☺

I'm currently studying Access to Science.

It is challenging but doable, it is an immense workload. I'm currently sitting on 1 distinction, 1 merit and I'm waiting on the grade back from my resubmission. I'm find the end of unit tests the hardest to do well in.

I'm planning on studying Biochemistry at University. I've had 2 offers back so far, waiting on 3 more uni's. Anyone had offers yet?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tigger20)
    Hi there ☺

I'm currently studying Access to Science.

It is challenging but doable, it is an immense workload. I'm currently sitting on 1 distinction, 1 merit and I'm waiting on the grade back from my resubmission. I'm find the end of unit tests the hardest to do well in.

I'm planning on studying Biochemistry at University. I've had 2 offers back so far, waiting on 3 more uni's. Anyone had offers yet?
    I've had one offer (Physics with Nuclear Astrophysics @ Surrey University. 30 D and 15 M) and I'm waiting to hear back from my other four choices.

ReputationRep:
    I've had one offer (Physics with Nuclear Astrophysics @ Surrey University. 30 D and 15 M) and I'm waiting to hear back from my other four choices.
    Well done. I'm happy to see Surrey are now accepting the Access qualification for physics. They wouldn't consider it the year I applied. It's a lovely university.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.