Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Who else is doing Access to HE Science? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I haven't started my access course yet but thought I would share anyway

I am going to study Access to HE in Animal Science which will lead on to me doing a foundation degree in Veterinary Nursing :badger:

I am more nervous about the access course then I am about the actual foundation degree because that is mostly placements/hands on but the access is assignment/exam based which I find tough but I am excited!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Schadenfreude65)
    Well done. I'm happy to see Surrey are now accepting the Access qualification for physics. They wouldn't consider it the year I applied. It's a lovely university.
    thank you! I went to visit yesterday and I liked it a lot. the place and lecturers and facilities were all wonderful so currently it's the front runner (though again I haven't visited the others). Sorry they didn't accept it when you were applying, I'm sure you went somewhere good )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Feesha)
    thank you! I went to visit yesterday and I liked it a lot. the place and lecturers and facilities were all wonderful so currently it's the front runner (though again I haven't visited the others). Sorry they didn't accept it when you were applying, I'm sure you went somewhere good )
    I'm at Royal Holloway, so not too far away, and I've no regrets!

ReputationRep:
    I'm at Royal Holloway, so not too far away, and I've no regrets!
    ahhh omg Royal Holloway is where I want to go!! I haven't been to visit yet but hopefully I get an offer then can go have a look around. How do you like the department?

ReputationRep:
    ahhh omg Royal Holloway is where I want to go!! I haven't been to visit yet but hopefully I get an offer then can go have a look around. How do you like the department?
    It's great - really friendly and very sociable. There's a lot of interaction between undergrads, post grads and academics, so you don't stick out like a sore thumb if you are a little older than the average student! Let me know if you come to an applicant day, and you'd like to have a chat, or pm me if you have any specific questions.

ReputationRep:
    It's great - really friendly and very sociable. There's a lot of interaction between undergrads, post grads and academics, so you don't stick out like a sore thumb if you are a little older than the average student! Let me know if you come to an applicant day, and you'd like to have a chat, or pm me if you have any specific questions.
    That would be lovely, if they invite me to an applicant day I will definitely love to have a chat, get a fellow mature student's perspective! I'll send you a PM when/if they do ask me to come down .
    The only question I currently have is how big is the dept? As in the yearly intake in Physics (obv I'm not expecting you to know actual numbers just a rough idea would be helpful), I've looked online for any information but I've found nothing!

ReputationRep:
    That would be lovely, if they invite me to an applicant day I will definitely love to have a chat, get a fellow mature student's perspective! I'll send you a PM when/if they do ask me to come down .
    The only question I currently have is how big is the dept? As in the yearly intake in Physics (obv I'm not expecting you to know actual numbers just a rough idea would be helpful), I've looked online for any information but I've found nothing!
    It's usually about 60. They have a maximum capacity of 70, I think. They also have an unusually high number of female physics students - it was almost 40% this year, which is much higher than the national average.

ReputationRep:
    Hiya! Studying access to science at Bolton college. The course covers the 3 core sciences, physics, biology and chemistry. 5 graded units worth 3 points in each.. oh and an ungraded skills for HE part. Going really well. Got great encouraging teachers. have managed distinctions in everything so far, which is good as I'm hoping to go on to study diagnostic radiography at Salford or Lancaster (Cumbria). Had an offer from Cumbria and in interview with Salford last week so fingers crossed! All the best with your course.. Jon.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smooth Sailing)
    Fellow Access to HE Science students...

How is your course going?
    What specific subjects are you studying?
    Are you planning on going to uni after? (and if yes, what will you be studying?)
    What are your career aspirations?
    I'm thinking about starting one. What is it like? and do you recommend it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Owain5)
    I'm thinking about starting one. What is it like? and do you recommend it?
    INTENSE.

What do you want to do after it?

I'd recommend it, absolutely.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KyleH123)
    INTENSE.

What do you want to do after it?

I'd recommend it, absolutely.
    You'd recommend it?

I am thinking of doing one in Bio Science and want to go to uni after to study some form of Biology or Chemistry

ReputationRep:
    You'd recommend it?

I am thinking of doing one in Bio Science and want to go to uni after to study some form of Biology or Chemistry
    If what you want to do in life requires a degree, then yes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KyleH123)
    If what you want to do in life requires a degree, then yes.
    I don't know what I wanna work as yet. But I think I'd enjoy to work in biology or chemistry.

How intense is it? I think my business BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma that I'm doing right now is intense :/ (working towards 3D*'s though)

ReputationRep:
    I'm on access for Nursing really hard 😅😅😅

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ODP2)
    I'm on access for Nursing really hard 😅😅😅
    [/URL][/SIZE]
    I'm doing Access to Nursing too! You're right - it's really hard!

I've heard people say that the first year of a nursing degree is easy compared to the intense access course!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I hope so Rupert, as I will need some rest after this course 😅😅😅
    How's your assignment going so far?
    I find so hard to get distinctions in some subjects.
    Can not wait to finish and get a offer from university 😆😆

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ODP2)
    I hope so Rupert, as I will need some rest after this course 😅😅😅
    How's your assignment going so far?
    I find so hard to get distinctions in some subjects.
    Can not wait to finish and get a offer from university 😆😆

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Assignments are generally going alright as long as I can find the time to do them (I've got two young kids who take up a lot of my time too)

As far as distinctions, it's so subjective sometimes that it depends on whoever is grading it and whether they think you have a good or excellent understanding of the topic. So vague! So far I'm getting more distinctions than merits.

Can't wait to start uni though. I've had a few offers now, so just trying to weigh up where I'll be happiest! Have you had any offers yet?

ReputationRep:
    Great!
    Unfortunately, I haven't got any offers yet. I have had only one interview so far.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Half way through my Access to HE combined science course.

So far so good.

If anyone has any questions, I will try to help.

ReputationRep:
    You'd recommend it?

Hi, I'm currently doing the Access Biosciences course. Intense, but I'm enjoying it. I'm hoping to get an offer for Applied Medical Sciences.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.