Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Who else is doing Access to HE Science? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by seize_the_day)
    It's an adjustment process, getting back into education. You'll be okay - just learn from the feedback you're being given

I've got to admit, I did go out and buy the "recommended reading" textbooks for my course, and they really were invaluable (despite the cost!). The assessments our course sent out had criteria printed at the beginning - I learnt to scrutinise that after getting a resub back, because I hadn't hit what they were asking for. Remember that Ds require both breadth and depth to your answers... so you need multiple points, and you need to be able to explain them or at least show that you've read fairly deeply into them. Also quality is a big one (a grade descriptor which meant the difference between an M and a D for me on more than one occasion) - get your spelling, punctuation and referencing right, and you're halfway there!

I didn't take a gap year, no. I left school with just GCSEs, and followed an apprenticeship route and I've worked ever since. It means I have Level 3 quals and a reasonable job, just nothing relevant to a veterinary application Always happy to give some pointers if it helps you out
    Hi,

Out of interest what was your apprenticeship in?

I am also going to start an access to HE science course this year to apply to vet med at RVC, Surrey and Nottingham with a prelim year. Is the access in science really hard? I too have done an apprenticeship, in life sciences and I also have the right GCSE grades to apply to vet med, but I didn't get the right grades at A level.

I will have lots of work experience complete by time of application, so I am really hoping I get in to one of the unis; just need to do well in the Access course. Are you able to share a little bit about what the interviews were like at the different unis? I get nervous even thinking about them!

Thanks
    Abbie

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AbbieJade1994)
    Hi,

I am also going to start an access to HE science course this year to apply to vet med at RVC, Surrey and Nottingham with a prelim year. Is the access in science really hard? I too have done an apprenticeship, in life sciences and I also have the right GCSE grades to apply to vet med, but I didn't get the right grades at A level.

I will have lots of work experience complete by time of application, so I am really hoping I get in to one of the unis; just need to do well in the Access course. Are you able to share a little bit about what the interviews were like at the different unis? I get nervous even thinking about them!

Thanks
    Abbie
    They aren't easy.

Have you done Harvard referencing before? If not, I'd get comfortable with it before starting the course.

I'm sure you're already aware, but vet schools are highly competitive. You not meeting the a-level grades first time round may cause problems in applying.

Didn't apply to veterinary medicine, so I'm unable to advise there.

Do you know the curriculum for your access course? If you send it to me and give me an idea, I can give you an example of an assignment/exam you may be given.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KyleH123)
    They aren't easy.

Have you done Harvard referencing before? If not, I'd get comfortable with it before starting the course.

I'm sure you're already aware, but vet schools are highly competitive. You not meeting the a-level grades first time round may cause problems in applying.

Didn't apply to veterinary medicine, so I'm unable to advise there.

Do you know the curriculum for your access course? If you send it to me and give me an idea, I can give you an example of an assignment/exam you may be given.
    Hi

Yes i have done harvard referencing.

And yes I know they are very highly competitive, but I also know they are looking for people who are sure they want to go into the profession and are dedicated, which I am hoping completing an access course will show

I would complete a degree prior to applying but then you don't get student finance so no way I could fund a second degree

The curriculum of the access to science course would be biology and chemistry units, not exactly sure yet of the unit values of each of these but the whole course is 45 credits at level 3. An example assignment/exam would be most helpful, thank you for suggesting that.

Thanks
    Abbie

ReputationRep:
    Hi

Yes i have done harvard referencing.

And yes I know they are very highly competitive, but I also know they are looking for people who are sure they want to go into the profession and are dedicated, which I am hoping completing an access course will show

I would complete a degree prior to applying but then you don't get student finance so no way I could fund a second degree

The curriculum of the access to science course would be biology and chemistry units, not exactly sure yet of the unit values of each of these but the whole course is 45 credits at level 3. An example assignment/exam would be most helpful, thank you for suggesting that.

Thanks
    Abbie
    Okay, e-mail the college and ask for specific units. That way you can prepare. I'll give you an assignment to do, you do it, and I'll mark it. Have you done biology/chemistry at a-level before?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KyleH123)
    Okay, e-mail the college and ask for specific units. That way you can prepare. I'll give you an assignment to do, you do it, and I'll mark it. Have you done biology/chemistry at a-level before?
    I have an interview with them in a couple of weeks where they will tell me exact units etc. so I will wait until then.

Yes I did biology and chemistry at a-level back in 2013 so a bit rusty but have the basics covered

ReputationRep:
    I have an interview with them in a couple of weeks where they will tell me exact units etc. so I will wait until then.

Yes I did biology and chemistry at a-level back in 2013 so a bit rusty but have the basics covered
    Ah, okay. I've got one my assignments ready if you'd like. I'll see if it's possible to send it on here

edit: it isn't, can you send me your email in pm?

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Thanks
    Abbie
    Hi Abbie! My apprenticeship was Engineering based, so it's a total change for me!

I applied for all of your choices, and had interviews at them all too - they're quite open to Access these days. RVC use an MMI & a group task, Surrey use purely MMI, & Notts use a 1-1 interview, a group task & a practical task. The hardest bit really is staying calm and not babbling Try to make sure your work experience is well rounded, as that's a big help.

Access to Science really isn't that bad if you put your mind to it. It's a lot to learn in a short space of time, but it's quite doable. I'd recommend it, but then it's worked out really well for me. I had offers from Notts & Surrey, & I've firmed my unconditional at Nottingham

If ever you'd like to drop me a PM, feel free! Plenty of people told me I was daft going the Access course route when my end game was vet med, but I really do to this day think it was my best option

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tigger20)
    Hi there ☺

I'm currently studying Access to Science.

It is challenging but doable, it is an immense workload. I'm currently sitting on 1 distinction, 1 merit and I'm waiting on the grade back from my resubmission. I'm find the end of unit tests the hardest to do well in.

I'm planning on studying Biochemistry at University. I've had 2 offers back so far, waiting on 3 more uni's. Anyone had offers yet?
    Hello, I just wondered what your GCSE results were? Im interested in taking the route you are and have all C's in my GCSE's.

ReputationRep:
    If there's anyone out there wondering whether top universities 'like' or accept Access to HE Science, well, I received and have met my offer (30 D's) from the University of Bristol.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lemonpopsicle2)
    If there's anyone out there wondering whether top universities 'like' or accept Access to HE Science, well, I received and have met my offer (30 D's) from the University of Bristol.
    Woo well done! You must be supremely relieved/excited :beer:
    Did you get the 45Ds you were aiming for?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AmeliaLost)
    Woo well done! You must be supremely relieved/excited :beer:
    Did you get the 45Ds you were aiming for?
    Thanks, I'm waiting for another 9 possible D's that are in to be verified, and I'm going to be submitting 6 more at the end of May, eeek. I'm still aiming for 45 :-)
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lemonpopsicle2)
    Thanks, I'm waiting for another 9 possible D's that are in to be verified, and I'm going to be submitting 6 more at the end of May, eeek. I'm still aiming for 45 :-)
    Haha awesome, good luck for the last few then!

ReputationRep:
    Hello Everyone!

Just came across this thread as Im in the process of applying to college to do access to science with the hopes of going on to Coventry uni to do dietetics

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Charlotte_Lucy)
    Hello Everyone!

Just came across this thread as Im in the process of applying to college to do access to science with the hopes of going on to Coventry uni to do dietetics
    Hey Charlotte,

I just got accepted for an access to science and I'm also planning on studying dietetics in coventry in 2018

ReputationRep:
    Hello I’m taking an access to HE in science this year! Hoping to study biomed or go into maths. One of my modules is advanced maths as I dropped physics! How is it going for you all?

Also has anyone completed the Task 2 assignment on embryonic and adult cells? If so Can I private message someone my assignment so you can look it over please? My teacher has been away for 2 months and we’ve had substitute teachers for 2 months now, and we also had a substitute for maths as my teacher is away so it’s so hectic at the moment
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nobody101)
    Hello I’m taking an access to HE in science this year! Hoping to study biomed or go into maths. One of my modules is advanced maths as I dropped physics! How is it going for you all?

Also has anyone completed the Task 2 assignment on embryonic and adult cells? If so Can I private message someone my assignment so you can look it over please? My teacher has been away for 2 months and we’ve had substitute teachers for 2 months now, and we also had a substitute for maths as my teacher is away so it’s so hectic at the moment
    Hey fellow Access student! How's it going for you so far?

I'm afraid I can't help you with biology as I'm not taking it, but I am doing maths, so if you ever want to discuss the assignments feel free to PM me!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.