Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

B1093 – Abortion Equality Bill 2016 (Second Reading) Watch

• Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    B1093 – Abortion Equality Bill 2016 (Second Reading), joecphillips MP
    Abortion equality bill 2016

A bill to give fathers equal opportunity to abort parental rights before a child is born.

1. Definitions
    (1) Father is the biological male parent.
    (2) Mother is the biological female parent.

2. Legal abortion
    (1) A father can permanently abort all parental rights and responsibilities to a child-
    (A) up to 1 week before the abortion deadline; or
    (B) up to 2 weeks after the father discovers about the pregnancy if the mother knew about the pregnancy before 23 weeks into it; or
    (C) at any point during the pregnancy with the mothers consent.

3. Process
    (1) To abort all parental rights and responsibilities a father must communicate that they intend to by sending a letter by recorded delivery that has been certified by a solicitor to the mother
    (2) The message must to clearly state "I am aborting all parental rights and responsibilities to the child you are currently pregnant with"

4. Extent, commencement, and short title
    (1) This Act extends to the whole of the United Kingdom.
    (2) This Act comes into force on the day on which it is passed.
    (3) This Act may be cited as the Abortion equality bill 2016.

Notes
    Let's do something to reduce legal inequality.

Since 1976 a right has existed for just one group of people and but not another, how in a society where people claim to support equality can this be accepted?

Changes for 2nd reading:
    2(1) made it clearer that it is a permanent decision
    2(1)(a) changed from 23 weeks to tie into abortion guidelines
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    I still support this bill. Aye.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Nay - already discussed this with you, but I simply feel that this bill is not something I personally agree with. I also cannot accept that any responsible person could 'abort' responsibility for their child via letter.

ReputationRep:
    Still aye, if the woman can do it, the man can do it.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    As with first reading, aye.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iEthan)
    Nay - already discussed this with you, but I simply feel that this bill is not something I personally agree with. I also cannot accept that any responsible person could 'abort' responsibility for their child via text message.
    I suggest you read the legislation you are commenting on
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I haven't changed my view on this, aye.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joecphillips)
    I suggest you read the legislation you are commenting on
    Corrected. :rofl2: Sorry Joe. It's... been a while...

ReputationRep:
    Fair changes, as with the first reading aye.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Corrected. :rofl2: Sorry Joe. It's... been a while...
    Could make it a bit longer?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JoeL1994)
    Could make it a bit longer?
    That would be nice, wouldn't it? Too bad I have no plans for that. Sorry to disappoint.

ReputationRep:
    That would be nice, wouldn't it? Too bad I have no plans for that. Sorry to disappoint.
    *cries*
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome back.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SoggyCabbages)
    *cries*
    There, there... you may send me to the gulag/other place that is similar/other suitable punishment if you wish... :console:

ReputationRep:
    There, there... you may send me to the gulag if you wish... :console:
    Gulag jokes? Pathetic. Grow up. Making fun of institutions that were involved in the death of millions. I think you're in the wrong forum, chat sub is here:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=143
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Just no, for obvious reasons I've already stated.

(Original post by SoggyCabbages)
    Gulag jokes? Pathetic. Grow up. Making fun of institutions that were involved in the death of millions
    You really are the ultimate troll, aren't you?

Attachment 608198
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Will be voting aye

ReputationRep:
    No. Anyone who votes in favour of this cannot reasonably call themselves either liberal or left-wing. The issue is this amounts to the child being punished for happening to have dysfunctional parents. This spits in the face of equality of opportunity, disproportionately targets the working classes and the unfortunate (due to demographic effects), and basically causes about 50 years of regression in social development.

Here are several policy ideas which are more reasonable than this garbage:
    • Making the father able to force the mother to abort (the fact that this is more reasonable shows just quite what moronic trash this is)
    • Forcing marriage for couples with child (also ridiculous)
    • Allowing the father to elect before conception, and then and only then allowing him to remove himself from responsibility
    • Government funding in place
    • Requiring the father's payments to be an interest-free loan, repayable at a modest rate once the child turns 18 (my personal favourite of these)
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
    No. Anyone who votes in favour of this cannot reasonably call themselves either liberal or left-wing. The issue is this amounts to the child being punished for happening to have dysfunctional parents. This spits in the face of equality of opportunity, disproportionately targets the working classes and the unfortunate (due to demographic effects), and basically causes about 50 years of regression in social development.

Here are several policy ideas which are more reasonable than this garbage:
    • Making the father able to force the mother to abort (the fact that this is more reasonable shows just quite what moronic trash this is)
    • Forcing marriage for couples with child (also ridiculous)
    • Allowing the father to elect before conception, and then and only then allowing him to remove himself from responsibility
    • Government funding in place
    • Requiring the father's payments to be an interest-free loan, repayable at a modest rate once the child turns 18 (my personal favourite of these)
    you make a compelling case. nay
    • Aston Villa FC Supporter

ReputationRep:
    Aye

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 15, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.