Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I think that, as humans, we all have this filter whereby we see life through these rose tinted glasses and have this subconscious belief that life is somehow fair or balanced. Like, it's an illusion. To give an example, while one of my relatives was seriously ill, it didn't 'feel' like she was going to die. "She'll be alright" I thought to myself. That was until she died, or course. Even though doctors said there was like 10% chance she would actually survive, my brain lied to me in making me feel like she was actually going to be okay.

But then every once in a while (or more frequently depending on how unlucky you are)something happens in life that goes so against that intuitive sense of fairness, that you realise life doesn't care about you, or your happiness, or any kind of fairness or justness whatsoever. Life really is just a meaningless series of events, most of which we have little to no control over. People aren't religious these days but they still believe in fate, karma, synchronisities etc or some sort of divine structure underpinning life which are equally as delusional.

Thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    Life isn't a sentient being so it can't care about you, silly.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom Jickleson)
    I think that, as humans, we all have this filter whereby we see life through these rose tinted glasses and have this subconscious belief that life is somehow fair or balanced. Like, it's an illusion. To give an example, while one of my relatives was seriously ill, it didn't 'feel' like she was going to die. "She'll be alright" I thought to myself. That was until she died, or course. Even though doctors said there was like 10% chance she would actually survive, my brain lied to me in making me feel like she was actually going to be okay.

But then every once in a while (or more frequently depending on how unlucky you are)something happens in life that goes so against that intuitive sense of fairness, that you realise life doesn't care about you, or your happiness, or any kind of fairness or justness whatsoever. Life really is just a meaningless series of events, most of which we have little to no control over. People aren't religious these days but they still believe in fate, karma, synchronisities etc or some sort of divine structure underpinning life which are equally as delusional.

Thoughts?
    You probs having a mental breakdown.
    Get well soon. Pls.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChrisD0)
    Life isn't a sentient being so it can't care about you, silly.

Sorry master.
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    (Original post by Maths is Life)
    You probs having a mental breakdown.
    Get well soon. Pls.
    You're ugly.

ReputationRep:

Thoughts?
    yep life doesnt care about anyone

ReputationRep:
    You're ugly.
    You're rude

ReputationRep:
    I agree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 408655)
    You're rude
    I can't help it

ReputationRep:
    You're ugly.
    I agree

ReputationRep:
    Life's a ***** and then you die , huh?

But no, I agree with this to an extent ! Sometimes things happen that are not fair , to people who have done nothing to deserve it .

I suppose the only way to get around this (not always inevitable ) situation is to try and enjoy life as much as you can because something can come along and stop you in your tracks and poof life is different forever !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maths is Life)
    I agree

:hahaha::hahaha::hahaha:

ReputationRep:
    Have you ever read Muslim law? It might prove you wrong in one go in about 5 pages of one of their books? If you thought no one cared about you and then you read that you would be in for a shock compared to some in other religions.

ReputationRep:
    Yep. Sometimes good things happen to bad people and sometimes bad things happen to good people. It is what it is *shrugs shoulders*
    IMO, some people use religious teachings used to justify unfairness by giving the hope of a better life (afterlife)

ReputationRep:
    People aren't religious these days but they still believe in fate, karma, synchronisities etc or some sort of divine structure underpinning life which are equally as delusional.
    I am religious, but even then I agree with what you're saying. Although I believe that God is the source of everything that happens to us, I don't see any reason to assume that there is some kind of storybook-like "meaning" to everything that we would be able to understand (where some events "foreshadow" others, some events are more "fitting" than others, we have the ability to tell from beforehand what is "meant to be", the ending is going to be a happy one that rounds it all off nicely etc.)

What you get is what you get, and it's mostly beyond our control and even beyond our ability to predict it. We're like butterflies caught in a tornado. Whilst we might be able to flap our wings and try and go one way or another, our destination will be wherever the tornado takes us, which is a matter of random chance (as far as we're concerned).

Although if events are happening to us randomly, over a long period of time you might expect pleasurable events and displeasurable events to somewhat balance out naturally on average (like getting roughly equal numbers of heads and tails in a long series of coin tosses). That's the closest I would personally come to believing in Karma.

ReputationRep:
    Life doesn't care about you, but you can care about yourself.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.