Turn on thread page Beta
    • Thread Starter

    Ok so I had my selection interview today but unfortunately I was unable to go through it due to some missing paper works and documents. So the documents I had with me were;
    Birth Certificate
    Completed Tattoo Proforma
    Completed Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 paperwork
    (If I have missed any documents that may have discharged me from the selection interview please let me know)
    Other documents such as marriage, driving license, parental consent and medical screening did not apply to me so I didn't bring them.

    If I have missed some documents that may have discharged me from the selection interview please let me know

    So the problem was that I have spent more than 28 days per year outside the UK in the last 5 years, and on the Terms and Conditions of Service it states that:

    If you have spent more than 28 days per year outside the UK in the last 5 years, then further checks on your eligibility will need to be made. During the application process you will be requested to provide reasons for exceeding 28 days outside the UK.

    Due to this reason, the corporal (interviewer) requested a Residency form(?)
    I don't know where I can acquire this form. So PLEASE if you know anything about this please let me know. THANK YOU

    This was almost 4 years ago, so things might have changed. At that time, if you didn't meet the residency requirement, you could submit a residency waiver. The officer who interviewed me (I was going for officer entry) said that I should apply for one. I had to email the AFCO a copy of every page of my passport (to show the visa stamps) and supply an explanation of what each one represented, supply a letter from my previous employer (as I had been working/living abroad), a criminal records check from the country I had been living in (how easy or difficult this will be depends on which country/ies you have been spending time in- in my case I had to search for an English-speaking lawyer based in the very obscure country I worked in, and pay him to submit the records check, plus get a certified translation). Also had to detail all my movements while I had been living abroad and provide references who could account for my time there.

    It took about 3 months before the waiver was approved; hopefully now the process has been made a bit easier.
Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 10, 2017
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources


Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.