Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to be applying for 2008 entry.

Basic background. When I first started thinking about what I'd maybe want to do at uni history seemed the perfect choice. This was back when I was 15 though. I found gcse a piece of piss and I loved it so much. I had an uber amazing teacher, one of the inspirational kinds that you'll never ever forget. For gcse I did modern history. Then I got to sixth form. I didn't try at all. I found History quite boring. I passionately HATED studying James the 1st and after exams we started doing Charles.. Which is just as painful. On the other hand, I've enjoyed English lit so much over the past year, I read lots. And, so I decided to change my mind.

Well I got my as results. My history result was a very high A. Significantly higher than my english lit. I started to question whether english was the right course for me. I tried for my english exam. For history all I did was learn a few dates on the bus to the exam.

I don't know why my love for History suddenly vanished this year. Maybe, it was because of uninspiring teachers. But, I'm at the age now where History alone should inspire me if it's the right uni choice for me, I don't need a teacher to do that.

I have only lightly covered the cold war. And, I am really very interested in it.. The Russian revoloution is also something I've never studied but something I'd love to learn about. I'd also love to study Facism in Italy. I suppose I love looking at History from a political, economic and social viewpoint.

I also love english. I'm just so confused as to what to choose. I have my doubts about both. I know you can't choose for me. I'm posting this here rather than the english forum beacuse I already know a LOT about studying english at uni. I've done all the extra reading for english, seeked extra advice on english etc etc. My personal statement is already written for english. I guess I just want to know if anyone else had my sort of problem.. Would I be able to do history seeing as I have such limited interest. Are their compulsary modules on stuff like the stuarts.. Or would I be able to get away with my whole degree being on modern history? haa I'm so clueless on all this. Why did you choose history? Is it enjoyable?

ReputationRep:
    On my course the only compulsory module is the introductory to the practice of history ones. I know what you mean about the Stuarts, Tudors etc, i have no interest in learning about them at all... and I'm not going to thankfully. there are so many areas of history at degree level you can chose from and so for that reason you would probably end up doing only the modules that you are interested in.

If you're good at history and you have a genuine interest in it then i think you should go for it. Like you, i had a great gcse teacher but not so great alevel teachers and not so great units. If you feel you enjoy history more than English then i think you should consider doing a history degree as you will be spending a lot of money and time at university, so it should be for something you actual want to be doing!
    here's where the cheesy movie quote comes in - 'follow your heart'!!
    hope that helps

ReputationRep:
    Have you considered joint honours? Or applying to a university like Lancaster where you could do both in your first year and switch majors if you wanted for year 2?

ReputationRep:
    I have done, for GCSE/A level, all three of the things you said you're interested in: Cold War (plus seperate module on Vietnam&Korea), Russian Rev, and Facsist Italy. They were all really good, though Italy was the least interesting for me. To be honest, if I had done the subjects you did I probably would have been not that interested. I really enjoyed my first year course at uni, but this year I'm not really looking forward to doing the two early modern modules which are compulsory (one is core, one you can choose from about 15). I would look closely at courses and maybe find one which allows you to choose stuff you know you're interested in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kw2005)
    Have you considered joint honours? Or applying to a university like Lancaster where you could do both in your first year and switch majors if you wanted for year 2?
    Or in a more general sense- English and History are very closely related courses, and many universities would allow you to switch from the first year of one into the second year of another, if that makes sense, because they are so related. OK there might be admin hitches or whatever, but broadly speaking and as far as I know it's something most universities would allow you to do- so whilst this is an important choice, it's not permanent should university change your mind!

ReputationRep:
    I doubt there is anyone who has enjoyed ALL aspects of history they've had to study - there's so much of it after all! It sounds like you were just unlucky with your A-Levels modules, but the best things about university is being able to pick the topics that appeal to you. I'm sure there will still be a couple of compulsary modules that might not interest you, but thats bound to happen whatever subject you chose.

Basically, I'm saying don't let yourself be put off by your experience in the last year. If you know there are still many elements of history that interest you, I reckon you'd be just fine.

With that said, I agree that a joint honours History/English degree sounds like a good option for you. Is there a reason you haven't considered that?

ReputationRep:
    Umm. I haven't thought about joint honours at all. I don't know why. I already have my heart set on going to Bristol or UCl and they don't do the joint honours do they? Is the joint honours less respected? Ohh and I know that for Durham for the single honours in English or History you need like 7A*s, is this the same for the joint honours?

ReputationRep:
    No reason why you can't ring Durham and check what their A* expectations are for the joint honours course.

The other thing to check is that although Bristol and UCL don't offer a joint honours degree as such, many places do allow you to do a couple of units/modules/courses outside your major subject - and certainly between the London unis it seems to be possible to be signed up at one and attend a course elsewhere. Have a look at the websites and see what they say, and if in doubt ring the Admissions people for information.

Finally, courses vary hugely in terms of how much choice you have and when. Generally for a history degree you will be expected to do at least a couple of courses from different periods and/or settings (eg Europe, UK, Asia, the Americas) but otherwise once past the first year you should be able to concentrate on the things that interest you most.

ReputationRep:
    How funny, I had exactly the same problem as you, like almost identical! I always loved english and history equally before college, but a string of bad history teachers at A level put me off the subject slightly. I wanted to apply for english but then I got a C at AS so I had to change my plans. I found that my results in my second year were pretty much in line with my AS results, so I'd advise you to plan based on your AS grades. As for falling out of love with history, I found that when I sat and taught myself a subject, which I had to do for the whole of my A2 as my teacher was garbage, I enjoyed it alot more. I'd say the way it's taught certainly has a large impact on wether you enjoy a subject or not, so don't lose faith. I'm sure the tutors at uni will be much better. Ultimately it's up to you, good luck. If you want any more advice give me a shout, happy to help.

ReputationRep:
    Plenty of good advice has already been given, and I'd add that, if you do change your mind and decide to do History, you should thoroughly check all of your courses to see how much choice you have. I'm going to York, for example, where in the first year you have to study at least one module each in medieval, early modern and modern history (which suits me as I don't really have a preference over what I study as yet) so that course might not suit you. But other places will have a different policy. You might even want to look into just taking a Modern History course, if you're certain that's the period you'll concentrate on during your degree anyway.

In terms of English vs. History... well, I understand your problem. Sometimes I wonder if choosing English Lit might have been a better option for me, but it's more of a hobby than something I want to study further. You just have to ask yourself where your true interest lies: if you find English easier but less involving than History, I'd say go for History.

ReputationRep:
    I am very much like you OP in that I find the Stuarts and Tudors etc quite tiresome and it really is not something that interests me, however I am not going to have to cover this at all in my degree. I think you should pay close attention to the History modules available at the universities you are looking at to ensure it covers your interests. However dont be put of because of your experiences at A Level.

ReputationRep:
    Having said all that, your interests can change whilst at uni, as you look into topics more deeply. I absolutely hated early modern history- all the Tudors and Stuarts etc.- but my early modern Europe paper was quite cool, as it involved looking at interesting subjects such as witchcraft and the military revolution, and I did a long assessed essay on plague that did very well and that was enjoyable to research. Just to let you know, really.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 10, 2007

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.