Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Basically I'm in my first year of university and I really haven't been enjoying it as much as I thought I would. I had a job all throughout Sixth Form and during the summer after I finished A levels. And I just miss it so much. I miss being able to go to work, do something productive during the day, and then be able to go home without worrying about studying. I was so happy during summer and a job was everything I wanted. I could earn money, it was easy, and it still gave me time to go see friends and do other things without feeling guilty for not studying. Does anyone have any advice?

ReputationRep:
    What job did you have?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by senpaipoppy)
    it was easy
    This is the crux of the problem I think. You knew where you were with your job. You could just turn up, do it, then come home and not worry about what was going to happen tomorrow. And they even gave you money for it! Uni is the opposite. By its nature, you don't know what you're doing most of the time because it's a three year learning experience. Just as you start to get to grips with a topic, the module ends and you're on to something else new and challenging. You can never leave it behind, because there's always reading, coursework or revision. It's difficult.

I suppose in short, there's no point comparing uni life to the life which you had before - they are very different things. Uni is bound to feel less comfortable.

it still gave me time to go see friends and do other things without feeling guilty for not studying. Does anyone have any advice?
    Time management is the issue here. Before uni, you conformed to your job's timetable - someone else was doing it for you. Now you have to do it for yourself. If the job was comfortable for you, how about treating uni like a job? Study, lectures, reading, seminars etc, 9-5 (or 10-4 or whatever) with proper breaks, Monday to Friday. Then you can relax and do other things in evenings and weekends without feeling guilty. Obviously there will be times before deadlines or exams when you'll probably want to study longer or at different times. Once you get the hang of it, you could shorten your hours or take other days off. But ultimately if you pack as much as you can into whatever you set as your "working" day, then any downtime will be guilt-free and more relaxing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AIDS Skrillex)
    What job did you have?
    Just a sales assistant for a small shop

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Klix88)
    This is the crux of the problem I think. You knew where you were with your job. You could just turn up, do it, then come home and not worry about what was going to happen tomorrow. And they even gave you money for it! Uni is the opposite. By its nature, you don't know what you're doing most of the time because it's a three year learning experience. Just as you start to get to grips with a topic, the module ends and you're on to something else new and challenging. You can never leave it behind, because there's always reading, coursework or revision. It's difficult.

I suppose in short, there's no point comparing uni life to the life which you had before - they are very different things. Uni is bound to feel less comfortable.

Time management is the issue here. Before uni, you conformed to your job's timetable - someone else was doing it for you. Now you have to do it for yourself. If the job was comfortable for you, how about treating uni like a job? Study, lectures, reading, seminars etc, 9-5 (or 10-4 or whatever) with proper breaks, Monday to Friday. Then you can relax and do other things in evenings and weekends without feeling guilty. Obviously there will be times before deadlines or exams when you'll probably want to study longer or at different times. Once you get the hang of it, you could shorten your hours or take other days off. But ultimately if you pack as much as you can into whatever you set as your "working" day, then any downtime will be guilt-free and more relaxing.
    Thanks for the advice. I keep trying to tell myself that I shouldn't compare having a job to uni but sometimes it's really hard not to. And, I think I really need to start trying to do that whole 9-5 thing (especially because I have 9ams every single day this term) because it might help me actually.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
  2. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
  3. University of Aberdeen
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.