Turn on thread page Beta
    • #1
    • Thread Starter

    I suffer from long term stomach issues.
    I was due back at work today after the Christmas period - but became really sick and started passing blood so I stayed off sick and called my GP.

    My GP has signed me off work for just over a week, with a load of medication to help me over the next few days. He also told me off for not eating regularly and maintaining a correct diet, which is hard at my work as I rarely get a lunch break and when I do it's only a few minutes. The only issue is, I'm currently working my notice period with my current employer - and really don't want to lose the time at the end of employment.

    I'm staying off tomorrow but i will need to call anyway but I'm wondering if I should just not tell them about my sick note so I can go back in Thursday?
    I had a sickness review in November already for losing time - which I explained I needed my lunch breaks but these conditions weren't met. I also made them aware of my condition as the information of me declaring it when they employed me was missing.

    My concern is, it's not a great idea for me to be losing over a week during my notice period - but it is illegal for me to work when I have been declared unfit to work?

    I doubt anyone will do anything if you work when you shouldn't however if you've already given notice what is the worst that could happen if you don't go in? Possibly a bad reference although I think you could challenge that and explain you have an easily accommodated disability but the employer was unable to make the accommodation (providing you with a lunch break) leading to health problems. I think you should follow your doctors advice.
Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 6, 2017
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.