Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Are you meant to be able to feel lymph nodes? Watch

Hi,

So basically I can feel a number of lymph nodes in both groin areas that I can't really remember being there before. Is this normal?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Enlarged lymph nodes MAY be caused by infections, however, its always best to speak to your GP.

ReputationRep:
    if its new its a sign your body is fighting a bug. however as you know it can very rarely be a symptom ofother illnesses so as previous post said see your doctor soon

ReputationRep:
    Have you hurt your foot, leg or groin recently? Lymph nodes in the groin may swell if you've injured any of these places. And are any of your other lymph nodes swollen? Like the others said, your body may just be fighting an infection.
    I wouldnt worry about it for now, but if it continues for some time and you're still concerned you should go see a doctor

(Original post by fergijane88)
    Have you hurt your foot, leg or groin recently? Lymph nodes in the groin may swell if you've injured any of these places. And are any of your other lymph nodes swollen? Like the others said, your body may just be fighting an infection.
    I wouldnt worry about it for now, but if it continues for some time and you're still concerned you should go see a doctor
    Thanks for the reply. Probably felt it for a couple of weeks, and no I can't feel any of my other lymph nodes.

I did have surgery on a hydrocele about 2/3 months ago, if that's relevant.

ReputationRep:
    That'll probably be why, perhaps theres a tiny inection from the healing of the surgery thats only just happened recently, and the lymph nodes are swollen due to that. If it doesnt go down though, I'd try get in contact with the doctor surgery that you went to for the op, just ask them if its normal to be experiencing that after a few months
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    It's normal to be able to feel pea/bean sized lymph nodes here and there around your body but if you haven't had a recent infection in the last few months, the nodes are bigger than a pea and/or are growing, hard, not movable then I would advised getting it checked over by your GP.

I can't feel any in my groin area but I have two in my neck I can feel that came up with a bad ear infection and a flu like illness and they are still pea sized after nearly three years.

Most likely though, it is a small lymph node that was caused by a mild infection or inflammation from your recent surgery.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I've been able to feel one in my neck (in fact you can see it if I tilt my head) for the past 12 years. It's when they change in size or shape they need checking.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 4, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.