Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone, I'm a first year History student at a fairly respectable uni. While I've enjoyed uni so far, the course isn't exactly how I imagined it to be, and consequently I spend a lot of time pondering other options, one of which being switching to Biomed/Biochem. My reasons are thus: employability and options afterwards; general interest in the subject; and better prospects of being accepted onto GEM (which I've been toying with for a while).

I have an interest in science, and always have done. Unfortunately, I am not nearly as strong in science as I am in the humanities - I got A*s in the humanities at GCSEs, while I achieved ABB in Physics, Biology, and Chemistry; at A-Level I got A*AC in English Lit, History, and Biology (I'm still annoyed at Biology - I was one UMS off a B after completely failing one unit. I had As and Bs in the others...). I took Chemistry at AS and achieved an abysmal E grade after struggling with some concepts and never rectifying my mistakes, as well as fatiguing myself with little food and sleep during the exam period. It makes me wish I had worked much harder during my A-Levels, but alas, it cannot be changed now. It is a worry of mine that I don't have the intellectual capability to do a STEM degree - I'm not sure I'm skilled enough in that way of thinking - so this also contributes to my feeling of perturbation.

I do wonder if it's possible for the uni to let me switch to Biochem/Biomed? I understand my grades aren't the best, nor are they what's required for these two subjects at my uni (AAB-ABB in bio + one other science) but I do have the UCAS points needed...it is a bit of a drastic jump. I suppose I could resit Biol5 and reapply to the same uni? I am certainly worried about job prospects with a BA. I understand that BScs may not necessarily fare better, but at least it is easier to get into healthcare that way.

However, perhaps I should stick with History - first year is apparently poor compared to second and third year, in terms of interest; and there are graduate jobs for historians, so long as the CV + interview is good. It's a bit of a conundrum for me. In the meanwhile I do intend on getting more experience in healthcare related areas, so I can decide if it's something for me. And I know one can get onto GEM with an Arts degree, but I'm closing more doors than opening them with one. I do enjoy reading, writing, and analysing; but I need to feel like what I'm doing is worth it. I'm not sure I feel like that now.

ReputationRep:
    For Biomed I think it's unlikely they'll transfer you if their normal offer is what you stated, or they'll ask you to do a foundation year beforehand.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helloworld_95)
    For Biomed I think it's unlikely they'll transfer you if their normal offer is what you stated, or they'll ask you to do a foundation year beforehand.
    I see, thank you.

EDIT: would it be worth resitting a unit of Biology? If I get a B in it, I can achieve an A overall.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kettering_98)
    I see, thank you.

EDIT: would it be worth resitting a unit of Biology? If I get a B in it, I can achieve an A overall.
    Ask the Biomed admissions people to be sure, but I think they'll still say no as you won't have the second science subject

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.