Turn on thread page Beta

Advice on changing courses - unsure of what to do watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone, I'm a first year History student at a fairly respectable uni. While I've enjoyed uni so far, the course isn't exactly how I imagined it to be, and consequently I spend a lot of time pondering other options, one of which being switching to Biomed/Biochem. My reasons are thus: employability and options afterwards; general interest in the subject; and better prospects of being accepted onto GEM (which I've been toying with for a while).

I have an interest in science, and always have done. Unfortunately, I am not nearly as strong in science as I am in the humanities - I got A*s in the humanities at GCSEs, while I achieved ABB in Physics, Biology, and Chemistry; at A-Level I got A*AC in English Lit, History, and Biology (I'm still annoyed at Biology - I was one UMS off a B after completely failing one unit. I had As and Bs in the others...). I took Chemistry at AS and achieved an abysmal E grade after struggling with some concepts and never rectifying my mistakes, as well as fatiguing myself with little food and sleep during the exam period. It makes me wish I had worked much harder during my A-Levels, but alas, it cannot be changed now. It is a worry of mine that I don't have the intellectual capability to do a STEM degree - I'm not sure I'm skilled enough in that way of thinking - so this also contributes to my feeling of perturbation.

I do wonder if it's possible for the uni to let me switch to Biochem/Biomed? I understand my grades aren't the best, nor are they what's required for these two subjects at my uni (AAB-ABB in bio + one other science) but I do have the UCAS points needed...it is a bit of a drastic jump. I suppose I could resit Biol5 and reapply to the same uni? I am certainly worried about job prospects with a BA. I understand that BScs may not necessarily fare better, but at least it is easier to get into healthcare that way.

However, perhaps I should stick with History - first year is apparently poor compared to second and third year, in terms of interest; and there are graduate jobs for historians, so long as the CV + interview is good. It's a bit of a conundrum for me. In the meanwhile I do intend on getting more experience in healthcare related areas, so I can decide if it's something for me. And I know one can get onto GEM with an Arts degree, but I'm closing more doors than opening them with one. I do enjoy reading, writing, and analysing; but I need to feel like what I'm doing is worth it. I'm not sure I feel like that now.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    For Biomed I think it's unlikely they'll transfer you if their normal offer is what you stated, or they'll ask you to do a foundation year beforehand.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helloworld_95)
    For Biomed I think it's unlikely they'll transfer you if their normal offer is what you stated, or they'll ask you to do a foundation year beforehand.
    I see, thank you.

EDIT: would it be worth resitting a unit of Biology? If I get a B in it, I can achieve an A overall.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by kettering_98)
    I see, thank you.

EDIT: would it be worth resitting a unit of Biology? If I get a B in it, I can achieve an A overall.
    Ask the Biomed admissions people to be sure, but I think they'll still say no as you won't have the second science subject

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Who is going to be the top scorer of the World Cup in 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.