Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey!

So I had GCSE mocks just before the Christmas break and I didn't do amazing in them. It's really upsetting me as I know that I could of done better but I barely had time to revise before the school even announced the mocks! The thing is as well is that I'm apply for sixth forms which are highly competitive (like you need some A*s competitive). Luckily I'm picking humanities over sciences which makes the places less competitive but still! I've been predicted As for all my subjects but one or two of the sixth forms are asking for mock grades as well and what if I get an interview and I have to bring my latest mock results?!

I guess I'm looking for some reassurance...if there is any. Thank you in advance

ReputationRep:
    Hi, so I was in the same boat (I flunked my mocks but was predicted all A/A*). I had several interviews with competitive sixth forms and colleges and was simply honest about not having enough time to revise due to Christmas. I said that despite the grades I received in my mocks, my predicted grades remained the same, which meant my school still had confidence in me to achieve high marks. They seemed satisfied with me for this response and I got all the places I had applied for. I wouldn't worry too much about it - no one does particularly well in GCSE mocks!

ReputationRep:
    Often the mocks are harder than the real exam.. the sixth forms will take this into account

ReputationRep:
    If you have the ability to get Astars/As at GCSE (though GCSEs don't always really show a candidate's potential) and are "determined" enough, it doesn't matter which sixth form you go to as you will be doing most of the studying yourself anyway lol. In fact, it is better to go to a supposedly less privileged sixth form as unis will see you as a sort of diamond in the rough. So don't fear aha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gwaggy)
    Hi, so I was in the same boat (I flunked my mocks but was predicted all A/A*). I had several interviews with competitive sixth forms and colleges and was simply honest about not having enough time to revise due to Christmas. I said that despite the grades I received in my mocks, my predicted grades remained the same, which meant my school still had confidence in me to achieve high marks. They seemed satisfied with me for this response and I got all the places I had applied for. I wouldn't worry too much about it - no one does particularly well in GCSE mocks!
    (Original post by sudent)
    Often the mocks are harder than the real exam.. the sixth forms will take this into account
    Thank you for your replies! Other people have been telling me the same as you guys but sometimes I get really anxious! I'm just going to have to deal with the situation I guess and hope the sixth forms are as understanding as you say

(Original post by Welshstig)
    If you have the ability to get Astars/As at GCSE (though GCSEs don't always really show a candidate's potential) and are "determined" enough, it doesn't matter which sixth form you go to as you will be doing most of the studying yourself anyway lol. In fact, it is better to go to a supposedly less privileged sixth form as unis will see you as a sort of diamond in the rough. So don't fear aha
    I was thinking of that 'strategy' but after visiting the sixth forms for open evenings and seeing the opportunities/facilities available, I have my naive little heart set on some of the places lol

ReputationRep:
    Hahahaha, the same situation i was in 2 years back. Listen brother, if your school can predict you the grades that meet the criteria, then you should be fine. It is highly uncommon for a student to fully absorb all the information (instead if just memorizing) to get the best grades until the end which is when hopefully everything is in your mind.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Waiser)
    Hahahaha, the same situation i was in 2 years back. Listen brother, if your school can predict you the grades that meet the criteria, then you should be fine. It is highly uncommon for a student to fully absorb all the information (instead if just memorizing) to get the best grades until the end which is when hopefully everything is in your mind.
    I'm a girl but cool! I thought of that before, but when you see people already getting A*s in their mocks it makes me slightly worried!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sudent)
    Yes I feel like this is actually true! Unless the real exams seem easier because you've actually completed your courses, you have more time to revise and you have time to prepare and improve your exam technique...

And nobody really cares about GCSE mocks anyway (I didn't anyway!)

ReputationRep:
    I found the mocks were actually harder than some of the real exams tbh. I mean, I never got an interview to get into sixth form, but my friends did for other places and they only looked at the predicted grades. I did worse in my mocks than my actual predicted grades, but I passed everything and nothing changed.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The1WidDeGlasses)
    I'm a girl but cool! I thought of that before, but when you see people already getting A*s in their mocks it makes me slightly worried!
    Honestly, you do your best and you will at least know that you have tried your best.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.