Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I was in denial for about a year and half before I got glasses. I'd stand at the bus stop for hours.

"is that the number three...maybe if I squint a little...oh yes I think it is.......and there it goes..."

It was amzing walking out of the opticians with my new glasses when I eventually got them, everything was so sharp it was like I was looking at things for the first time. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    To those who only wear contacts - surely that's bad for you eyes! No one can wear contacts all the time can they?

Unless you get those special 24hr ones...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pegasus)
    I was in denial for about a year and half before I got glasses. I'd stand at the bus stop for hours.

"is that the number three...maybe if I squint a little...oh yes I think it is.......and there it goes..."

It was amzing walking out of the opticians with my new glasses when I eventually got them, everything was so sharp it was like I was looking at things for the first time. :rolleyes:
    That story is very similar to mine! I just thought i was too tired/having a bad day until i realised that i was constantly asking my friends what it says on the board. I think the actual time i realised was when i asked, does that say 'Mechanics'? , when it was actually Intergers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarky)
    Erm no not at all. I wear both (not at the same time). 90% of the time i wear glasses and i don't have a problem with them at all. I wear contacts when i'm going out for the night or when i want a change. And my prescription is about 2.5 which isn't really high.
    "Erm yes" if you were BOTH!

ReputationRep:
    Iv'e been wearing glasses non-stop since Year 8. I hate them, but I'm not brave enough to start wearing contacts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil)
    Iv'e been wearing glasses non-stop since Year 8. I hate them, but I'm not brave enough to start wearing contacts.
    Contacts really aren't that bad - best to use the soft ones, as they feel less like you've got a brick in your eye to begin with. They're great once you're used to them - so much less hassel (specially when it rains!) and you can see clearly to all sides!

ReputationRep:
    im short sighted but i dont wear neither.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _tobi_coker07_)
    im short sighted but i dont wear neither.
    You should really go get glasses or something if you know you're short sighted - if you leave it without doing anything, your eyes will gradually get worse, wont they?

ReputationRep:
    You can't actually damage your eyes by not wearing glasses. You will strain your pupils and cause pain and headaches, but not permanent damage.

Though pain and headaches are not nice, so I agree with getting glasses .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AntiMagicMan)
    You can't actually damage your eyes by not wearing glasses. You will strain your pupils and cause pain and headaches, but not permanent damage.

I didn't get headaches or anything - I can't actually remember why I figured I needed glasses, I think I managed to get glasses before it was too serious to cause pain. Is it true that your eyes generally don't get any worse from the age of 18 onwards?

ReputationRep:
    Mostly contacts, but when I need that menacingly superior/clever look, I don the glasses. Lots of people have actually told me I look cool in glasses.

ReputationRep:
    I wear glasses but need new ones badly as eyes are getting worse and the frames don't suit me but i have to wear them more nowadays because my eyes hurt!!

Lou
    xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pushupbra)
    LOL if you wear BOTH your eyesight must be well f***ked up!
    No, idiot, you wear them on different occasions! I have both, but only get 15 pairs of contacts a month so I can't wear them every day, so other times I wear glasses. I don't like my glasses though, they don't suit my face shape, so as soon as I have enough money I'm going to buy some new ones

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    No, idiot, you wear them on different occasions! I have both, but only get 15 pairs of contacts a month so I can't wear them every day, so other times I wear glasses. I don't like my glasses though, they don't suit my face shape, so as soon as I have enough money I'm going to buy some new ones
    I hate the fact that glasses are so damn expensive! It's like "ok, you're ****d up already in that you can't see, lets make it worse by charging a shed load of cash to let you have your vision back. Unless you want these really, really bad free ones?" How cruel! my glasses were £150 . AND they were in a sale FFS!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by red665)
    I hate the fact that glasses are so damn expensive! It's like "ok, you're ****d up already in that you can't see, lets make it worse by charging a shed load of cash to let you have your vision back. Unless you want these really, really bad free ones?" How cruel! my glasses were £150 . AND they were in a sale FFS!
    I'm getting mine from a factory shop - I'm not bothered about the label as long as they look good. Hopefully won't be too expensive - I have lots of other stuff to buy before I go back to uni!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    I'm getting mine from a factory shop - I'm not bothered about the label as long as they look good. Hopefully won't be too expensive - I have lots of other stuff to buy before I go back to uni!

I'm thinking of getting a second pair cos I won't have the money to replace them if they break while i'm at uni.

MB

ReputationRep:
    OK I can go one better, not only do I wear glasses, but my part time (and now full time for the summer) job is to make glasses!

If anyone is interested my prescription is:
    Sph,Cyl,Axis
    R: -6.00,-1.75,172
    L: -6.00,-1.75,178

Sph is the standard power, -ve being myopic.
    Cyl is the difference in power over the curve of your eye, if you are astigmatic and have a misshapen eye! Rugby ball shaped as opposed to football shaped. (This means that the best part of my eye is -6.00 and the worst part is -7.75)
    Axis is the angle of the cyl.

So as you can guess... I cant see a damn thing without my glasses!

Once you reach the age of 18 your eyes dont change much (as they are no longer growing) until you are over 40 (usually) at which point the muscles in the eye begin to weaken, resulting in increased longsightedness (hence why older people need reading glasses). If the person is already short sighted, then they become both short sighted and long sighted (presbyopic).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AntiMagicMan)

Are you sure? I only wear my glasses during a lecture when I need to see the board, but other than that I hardly use them at all. Some people tell me that I'll eventually need a stronger prescription if I don't wear my glasses a lot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArisGreenleaf)
    Are you sure? I only wear my glasses during a lecture when I need to see the board, but other than that I hardly use them at all. Some people tell me that I'll eventually need a stronger prescription if I don't wear my glasses a lot.
    Thats a load of bull. If you only need to use glasses to see the board then only wear them then. Your eyesight will not get worse by not wearing glasses, because if you wear glasses constantly then your eyes adjust to wearing them, making it much harder to see without them. Yet if you dont wear them then your eyes will attempt to adjust (but will fail, hence why you have a prescription) to normal vision, and so will be slightly better.

EDIT: Only try that if you have a very low prescription! Anyone with a higher prescription will strain their eyes by trying to adjust and that can give you pain and headaches. If you start getting pain and headaches from not wearing glasses then that is a sign that you should wear glasses.

Also, if you drive ALWAYS wear glasses when driving, as you could be mildly astigmatic (very likely as most people with glasses are), in which case objects in the distance may not be exactly where you think they are, and when your in a car, things in the distance very quickly become closer and you can misjudge things.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Valen)

If anyone is interested my prescription is:
    Sph,Cyl,Axis
    R: -6.00,-1.75,172
    L: -6.00,-1.75,178

****, and I thought I was blind with -3.75 and -4.25!!

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.