Turn on thread page Beta

Do you wear glasses/contacts? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Damn, woke up this morning realising i'd fallen asleep with my glasses on (head on a book) and one of the lenses had cracked in haalf. As I wear frameless glasses the whole thing had fallen apard and there's no way I can just sellotape it. Now I have to go and get some new glasses or at least a new lens, but not only that. My parents are away on holiday so i'm gonna have to be spending mine and my brother's food budget for the next week.

MB

ReputationRep:
    Every now and then I wear reading glasses becuase I often study into the early hours of the morning and im that tired that my eyes cant focus properly. But thats mostly in the evening when I study. They look cute though.

ReputationRep:
    I'm blind without my glasses
    My prescription is -6.75 and -7.50.

I've was told by my optician to get contacts for driving because it will help my vision. Thats the only reason I got contact lenses.
    Every time I go to the opticians I have to buy new glasses because my eye sights changed.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not trying to be harsh towards people (afterall, my lenses are -4.75, -4) but does anybody know what is really bad eyesight (because I always thought mine was really crap)?

At what minus value can a myopic not be allowed contacts?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mobbdeeprob)
    I'm not trying to be harsh towards people (afterall, my lenses are -4.75, -4) but does anybody know what is really bad eyesight (because I always thought mine was really crap)?
    It's all relative i suppose..i always thought mine were bad too...about the same as yours...but some people as shown above have eyes at like...-6 or -7!!! :eek:

Most people i know though..wearing glasses only have something like -1/-2

G

ReputationRep:

At what minus value can a myopic not be allowed contacts?
    Well I'm -4.0, -4.5 and (just like you) I've always thought that's pretty damn bad. I wear contacts so you can obviously get them for roundabouts -4.somethings, but I think I read somewhere you can't get them if your eyesight is worse than -8. Don't quote me on that though.

And my eyesight is the poorest of all my friends who wear glasses and I hate the lenses in my glasses coz I got rimless ones and they're pretty thick (imo - everyone tells me they're cool) so I don't like wearing them out!

ReputationRep:
    my friend has absolutely terrible eyesight - without her contacts in she cant read a clock that is right in front of her!

ReputationRep:
    Alrite, this is pretty random, but I reckon I'm gona get myself one of those pairs of glasses like Toby Maguire wears in Spiderman. I'm really likin those an I think they'd suit me in a sorta geeky/intelligent/emoish sorta way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gzftan)
    It's all relative i suppose..i always thought mine were bad too...about the same as yours...but some people as shown above have eyes at like...-6 or -7!!! :eek:

Most people i know though..wearing glasses only have something like -1/-2

G
    About two and a half years ago I used to be -3.25, -2.75! I've gone downhill, lol.

Most the people I know are wearing glasses for -1/-2 values too - they consider my prescription to be a bit OTT.

I've seen the laser op advertised for £600 though! I seriously want it done in the next 5 years, because I don't like the hassle of wearing contacts - and I think they're bad for the eyes.

ReputationRep:
    About two and a half years ago I used to be -3.25, -2.75! I've gone downhill, lol.

Most the people I know are wearing glasses for -1/-2 values too - they consider my prescription to be a bit OTT.

I've seen the laser op advertised for £600 though! I seriously want it done in the next 5 years, because I don't like the hassle of wearing contacts - and I think they're bad for the eyes.
    I don't know why..but everytime i get a new pair of glasses...my eyesight immediately gets worse....then stops getting worse...then the next time i get new glasses to suit my eyes..they go and get worse again!! Typical!!

I might get laser treatment..but not yet....wait until my eyes stop changing first. Also...i think glasses suit me..so i'm not too bothered about it

G

ReputationRep:
    WOW people are still talking on this thread! *jumps up and down with happiness*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by icetopaz_h454)
    WOW people are still talking on this thread! *jumps up and down with happiness*
    It's exciting isn't it!! ....I'm happy with my cambridge thread....a whole 120 pages!!!!

G

ReputationRep:
    I wear glasses...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zombie)
    Well I'm -4.0, -4.5 and (just like you) I've always thought that's pretty damn bad. I wear contacts so you can obviously get them for roundabouts -4.somethings, but I think I read somewhere you can't get them if your eyesight is worse than -8. Don't quote me on that though.

And my eyesight is the poorest of all my friends who wear glasses and I hate the lenses in my glasses coz I got rimless ones and they're pretty thick (imo - everyone tells me they're cool) so I don't like wearing them out!
    lol, for some reason, people always like to try on other people's glasses when they're new. I can see through my friends glasses - but they say they feel ill when they look through mine!

My lenses aren't really thicker than other peoples, they just look pretty much like anybody elses, really. But then my frames (and therefore lenses) are kind of curved off rectangles (if that makes any sense, lol). I think that more circular lenses (with a bigger surface area) look thicker and probably are thicker than rectangular ones.

When I bought my glasses though, I was given the option of buying two different lense variants - both of which were thinner! So I reckon that if you fork out an extra £15/£20, you can get them thinner if you want to.

ReputationRep:
    It's exciting isn't it!! ....I'm happy with my cambridge thread....a whole 120 pages!!!!

G
    How many replies is that?!

ReputationRep:
    My lenses aren't really thicker than other peoples, they just look pretty much like anybody elses, really. But then my frames (and therefore lenses) are kind of curved off rectangles (if that makes any sense, lol). I think that more circular lenses (with a bigger surface area) look thicker and probably are thicker than rectangular ones.
    Yeah...smaller lenses are thinner..if you get larger lenses...they tend to be thicker for the same prescription strength.

G

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by icetopaz_h454)
    How many replies is that?!
    2,392!

G

ReputationRep:
    I don't know why..but everytime i get a new pair of glasses...my eyesight immediately gets worse....then stops getting worse...then the next time i get new glasses to suit my eyes..they go and get worse again!! Typical!!

I might get laser treatment..but not yet....wait until my eyes stop changing first. Also...i think glasses suit me..so i'm not too bothered about it

G
    Lol, I think my eyes might still be a little erratic. Hopefully my eyesight will level off around my twenties...until I get to about 40! And then 60 - when then the blindness kicks in... :eek:

ReputationRep:
    lol, for some reason, people always like to try on other people's glasses when they're new. I can see through my friends glasses - but they say they feel ill when they look through mine!

When I bought my glasses though, I was given the option of buying two different lense variants - both of which were thinner! So I reckon that if you fork out an extra £15/£20, you can get them thinner if you want to.
    Hmmm... well, mine are rectangular (like with slightly curved corners) and tbh they're not that thick, but ever since I started wearing contacts I've not really been too keen on my glasses. I feel more confident with my lenses in for some reason?! When I tell people I think my lenses in my glasses are too thick they usually disagree so I think I might just be looking for an excuse!

I think next time I'm seriously gona go for the thin lenses - I didn't think they'd be as bad as they are because my prescription went from -3.somethings down to -4's :eek:!!

But then I had a contact lense checkup not so long ago and they had stayed the same so I hope they've stablised a bit coz for a few years it was all pretty much downhill with each new checkup.

ReputationRep:
    Lol, I think my eyes might still be a little erratic. Hopefully my eyesight will level off around my twenties...until I get to about 40! And then 60 - when then the blindness kicks in... :eek:
    Lol...my mum was really lucky...she had cataracts in both eyes! Well...i mean..lucky in the sense that she had really bad eyes before the op..and cos they put in an artificial lens for you to replace the old one.....hey adjusted it for her so she wouldn't have to wear glasses anymore!

I want cataracts!!!

G

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.