Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I am a UK citizen. I moved to Canada on October 25th 2016.
    I am 18 years old, so I am in my senior year here in Canada.
    I was hoping to still apply to UK university, but I wouldn't be able to manage financing it if I was not eligible.

With research, I found this article.
    http://www.taxguideforstudents.org.u...-in-the-uk#aot
    I ticked all the boxes to say that I am eligible.

If I were to apply for September 2017, would it still be possible to get student finance since I match eligibilty requirements?

Another question, since I am a UK citizen, but will apply for university with Canadian grading, would I still be eligible for UK fees or would it have to be international?

thanks.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by niamh.savill)
    Hi, I am a UK citizen. I moved to Canada on October 25th 2016.
    I am 18 years old, so I am in my senior year here in Canada.
    I was hoping to still apply to UK university, but I wouldn't be able to manage financing it if I was not eligible.

With research, I found this article.
    http://www.taxguideforstudents.org.u...-in-the-uk#aot
    I ticked all the boxes to say that I am eligible.

If I were to apply for September 2017, would it still be possible to get student finance since I match eligibilty requirements?

Another question, since I am a UK citizen, but will apply for university with Canadian grading, would I still be eligible for UK fees or would it have to be international?

thanks.
    Your fee eligibility and your eligibility for student loans/student support are based on your ordinary residence. If you meet the criteria for ordinary residence in the UK despite moving to Canada (eg if you've moved there because of a temporary job/visa for a family member) then you should be eligible as if you never left the UK.

If it's difficult to prove that your move to Canada was temporary then if you move back to the UK independently and work for a year (it has to be for the purposes of work or something else that ISN'T education - just coming back to the UK to study A levels or similar wouldn't meed the requirements) that will usually be enough to demonstrate that you always intended to return and meet the residency rules.

Entry requirements based on other qualifications have no impact on fee and student support assessments - there are people who live and study in the UK who are assessed as non-UK fee payers and/or not eligible for student loans just as there are people living outside the UK who are eligible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    Your fee eligibility and your eligibility for student loans/student support are based on your ordinary residence. If you meet the criteria for ordinary residence in the UK despite moving to Canada (eg if you've moved there because of a temporary job/visa for a family member) then you should be eligible as if you never left the UK.

If it's difficult to prove that your move to Canada was temporary then if you move back to the UK independently and work for a year (it has to be for the purposes of work or something else that ISN'T education - just coming back to the UK to study A levels or similar wouldn't meed the requirements) that will usually be enough to demonstrate that you always intended to return and meet the residency rules.

Entry requirements based on other qualifications have no impact on fee and student support assessments - there are people who live and study in the UK who are assessed as non-UK fee payers and/or not eligible for student loans just as there are people living outside the UK who are eligible.

I am currently a temporary resident here (I live off a visitors visa obtained via my dads temporary work permit). I turned 18 last week, would booking a flight home as soon as I can be available (as soon as I finish school) help to waiver the decision of student finance?
    Or would I have to make a trip to England before so ?
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by niamh.savill)
    I am currently a temporary resident here (I live off a visitors visa obtained via my dads temporary work permit). I turned 18 last week, would booking a flight home as soon as I can be available (as soon as I finish school) help to waiver the decision of student finance?
    Or would I have to make a trip to England before so ?
    If you and your dad are on temporary visas then you should be fine with just that for evidence
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Hi, we would require evidence that it is a temporary break due to your father working abroad. thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Victoria SFE)
    Hi, we would require evidence that it is a temporary break due to your father working abroad. thanks
    Would copies of the visas be sufficient?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.