Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Sorry for the length of this one, it's just been building up and I feel like I need to get it out
    I've just finished my first term studying law at oxford and honestly I don't know what I should do.
    Firstly, I feel like I should start by saying that I never really wanted to go to Oxford in the first place. Due to various pressures from family and school I ended up applying, but I never thought I'd actually get in. When I got actually got in all of my friends and family thought I was crying out of happiness whereas I was crying because I realised what a stupid mistake I made. Although I know that some of you will say that it was then my choice to choose Oxford, I really felt like I had no choice. I feel like I applied to see what happened and to give me choices, whereas in reality all it did was take my choices away.
    I would like to also add that there are lots of things I have enjoyed about University, for example I've made great friends and I find that I do actually enjoy the subject.
    But during the term I feel like I've changed into a different person I'm anxious, tearful never mind constantly stressed. Everything is so fast paced and intense and compared to my classmates I take information in at a much slower rate so it constantly feels like I'm behind. Whilst I've been back on holiday, things if anything have got worse as I've started revising for my exams.I'm really starting to consider dropping out but for a number of reasons I'm reluctant:
    1. I don't like giving up on things and part of me will feel like a quitter if I do
    2. I'm worried that other universities will see I've dropped out and even if they do accept me I don't want to have to wait a year to apply
    3. I'm also worried that perhaps I'm not cut out for university/ the world of work at all- If I can't cope with the pressure after one term at oxford what's to say I can cope with the work anywhere else
    3. This is probably the most important reason- I don't want to let people down by giving in after only one term. My family were so ridiculously proud when I got in, and they can't stop talking about the hot shot lawyer I'm going to be after Oxford
    So if anyone who has been through a similar experience could give me some advice that would be great, as although I've spoken to my mum and a few friends about it, they're somewhat biased

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anon1098)
    Sorry for the length of this one, it's just been building up and I feel like I need to get it out
    I've just finished my first term studying law at oxford and honestly I don't know what I should do.
    Firstly, I feel like I should start by saying that I never really wanted to go to Oxford in the first place. Due to various pressures from family and school I ended up applying, but I never thought I'd actually get in. When I got actually got in all of my friends and family thought I was crying out of happiness whereas I was crying because I realised what a stupid mistake I made. Although I know that some of you will say that it was then my choice to choose Oxford, I really felt like I had no choice. I feel like I applied to see what happened and to give me choices, whereas in reality all it did was take my choices away.
    I would like to also add that there are lots of things I have enjoyed about University, for example I've made great friends and I find that I do actually enjoy the subject.
    But during the term I feel like I've changed into a different person I'm anxious, tearful never mind constantly stressed. Everything is so fast paced and intense and compared to my classmates I take information in at a much slower rate so it constantly feels like I'm behind. Whilst I've been back on holiday, things if anything have got worse as I've started revising for my exams.I'm really starting to consider dropping out but for a number of reasons I'm reluctant:
    1. I don't like giving up on things and part of me will feel like a quitter if I do
    2. I'm worried that other universities will see I've dropped out and even if they do accept me I don't want to have to wait a year to apply
    3. I'm also worried that perhaps I'm not cut out for university/ the world of work at all- If I can't cope with the pressure after one term at oxford what's to say I can cope with the work anywhere else
    3. This is probably the most important reason- I don't want to let people down by giving in after only one term. My family were so ridiculously proud when I got in, and they can't stop talking about the hot shot lawyer I'm going to be after Oxford
    So if anyone who has been through a similar experience could give me some advice that would be great, as although I've spoken to my mum and a few friends about it, they're somewhat biased
    Oxford is a pretty intense academic environment, and you are not the only person who will be feeling like this at this stage. Many people do feel deeply inadequate and that they can't possibly measure up to what they think Oxford expects - check out 'imposter syndrome'.

There are two things I would immediately suggest to you: talk to your college advisor and/or refer yourself to the university's Counselling Service - don't make any hasty decisions but at the same time if, having talked it through with people who have your interests at heart but are not emotionally involved with you (like your parents and family are), you conclude that Oxford isn't for you, don't be afraid to drop out. You can still apply for 2017 entry; even though not all unis will consider you after January 15 many will. However, it'll be important to give yourself time to re-group if you do drop out, so waiting until 2018 to start over might not be a bad idea.

ReputationRep:
    Though I can't say anything about whether this feeling means that you should drop out (I myself didn't get into Oxford) I would definitely advise you to apply again before the deadline just to keep your options open. You probably will stay at Oxford anyway but if you give yourself the opportunity you might feel better and might be able to consider all the options you have.

ReputationRep:
    It's certainly a tough place to be, and that additional feeling that you will be letting other people down and/or that they will be disappointed in you lends it extra difficulty. But I guess you know that you can't live your life so as not to disappoint other people! As a parent, I know I would feel far worse if I was to discover later that my beloved daughter had put herself through hell simply because she feared disappointing me.

I had a crap time at Oxford myself. My advice is based on doing the opposite of what I did. So:

1. Cut yourself some slack. You're under enough pressure as it is without adding artificial deadlines like having to make decisions about applying elsewhere in x weeks. In the grand scheme of things, taking the rest of this year to think, and even a gap year, if necessary, won't count for anything. The son of a friend of mine dropped out of a Medicine course 18 months ago. He took a year out, easily got a place elsewhere on a completely different course, and is loving his new start. A massive drama at the time, now forgotten.

2. Use every support service and resource you can. Speak with your tutor(s), pastoral support, Student counselling, friends and family and exhaust everyone. Student support services at Oxford deal with these issues all the time. If nothing else, you'll probably feel better when you realise how normal your feelings of being overwhelmed are!

3. You'll also feel better about whatever decision you make if you feel like you've taken control of the process.

4. Remember it's never too late to start again.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Don't drop out! Oxford really does sound like a stressful place, but you should try talking to student counselling, I'm sure there's loads and loads of students who feel just like you do. If you drop out without seeking help first you'll most likely regret it, but if you try and get support you'll definitely not, and possibly end up feeling a hell of a lot better because of it!
    The most important thing is that whatever decision you make, your making it for you and nobody else. Don't do things simply to please your family or impress others, make the choices that are right for you.
    Good luck!!

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for all of the help and advice I've booked a meeting my tutor to talk about my options and we'll see what they have to say!

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for all of the help and advice I've booked a meeting my tutor to talk about my options and we'll see what they have to say!
    Good to hear

I would just endorse, big time, what OxFossil has said above -
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to read about your struggles - talking through your options with someone should help though.Your Tutor should go over the academic options (continuation with support, change of course, suspension of study, discontinuation with a view to transferring or re-applying to another University) and also signpost advisers with training and experience of helping students in positions similar to yours.

It may help to know that at the beginning of the second term/semester there will be students at every University (in the UK and overseas) questioning their choice of degree and wondering if they wish to continue on course or do something else. In general, families are very understanding and supportive at difficult times. Whatever you ultimately decide is best for you, you will feel better for having made an active choice.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    The first thing I'd say is that, coming from someone now in their second year, Michaelmas of first year has by far been the worst term of my time at Oxford. It's a fundamentally stressful university, nothing is going to change that, but the first term was particularly bad because everything is so completely new and it's just a massive step up in general. It would probably be unusual if you weren't feeling overwhelmed and I definitely felt like quitting many times and a lot of the stuff you've written sounds familiar to me. Another thing I'd say I'd question whether this is really true: "compared to my classmates I take information in at a much slower rate". It appears to me that a lot of people (particularly when they're new to Oxford) do not like admitting that they find things difficult and I think you'll find that people are a lot more similar to you than you might think.

Having said that, if you genuinely feel like you are going to be spending the next few years of your life in misery, it's just not worth it. I totally understand the reasons you've listed as to why you don't want to quit because I felt the same way, but if you do decide to move somewhere else, it absolutely isn't the end of the world. Oxford is a strange university and it does many things in strange ways. If the system doesn't work for you, that doesn't mean you're a failure, it just means that you work more effectively in a less pressurised, less archaic environment - which is absolutely fine. Not clicking with Oxford does not mean you're not going to click anywhere and it certainly doesn't mean that you're going to be a failure in life. The fact that you got into Oxford means you impressed a group of very intelligent academics and that is a big achievement.

What I would suggest is that you do absolutely everything that OxFossil recommended. Do not suffer in silence, there are help systems available in Oxford. If you're able to make it work in Oxford, that's great. If not, it is not the end of the world. It is probably going to be too late for you to apply to another university for 2017 entry unless you get something in before the 15th January (which, bearing in mind that you're probably revising for collections, isn't a great idea) or you're happy with Clearing. So leaving Oxford this year would mean that you'd need to take a year out but that's not necessarily a bad thing because (1) you're still young and have plenty of time and (2) it would give you the ability to have a year of peace and quiet between school and university proper which I think would be very helpful.

ReputationRep:
    x
    I'd echo what Plagioclase said about the first term being particularly difficult as you try to settle in. I think you should at least go back and see how Hilary goes. If you manage that and get through mods, you may well be able to transfer to another university after first year, if it turns out Oxford really isn't for you.

You don't need to worry about what other universities would think of a student in your situation. I know of people who failed the first year of chemistry at Oxford and were able to transfer to other good universities straight into second year. Other universities will generally be aware of the high pressure that Oxford puts on its students, and will know that they can pick up good students who simply didn't thrive at Oxford.

ReputationRep:
    At Cambridge but everything you have said sounds identical to me. so interesting to see the advice others will give. I was going to give up and drop out over christmas but have decided to start lent term with a positive mind set (easier said then done). I decided that it was best tostick it out to the end of first year, work as hard as possible but keep a healthy balance. And then worst come to worse I am either still not happy or fail, then I will consider my options and this about my next steps over the summer. I dont think there is any point in dropping out now, better to give the next two terms your best shot and then see what happens from there. Can completely relate to you, have been very upset, stressed, tearful and have missed home greatly since starting cambridge and have struggled academically. Best of luck x

ReputationRep:
    I'll be frank: At the moment it sounds to me like all of your stress is self-generated. Has anyone actually told you you're doing badly? Have you any evidence that you are behind compared to peers? Or is it just that its faster and harder than A-levels and that you aren't top of the class any more?

Don't get me wrong: I don't want to belittle your feelings. First term at Oxford is super stressful, but i think this adjustment is not unusual and until we actually know you're struggling then dropping out would be silly. I think your collections will provide useful information - for me, they showed that whilst i felt very overwhelmed and was noticeably behind my peers, put pen to paper in a mock exam and i could BS sufficiently to just about scrape a passing grade. With proper revision it should be comfortable (which it was).

So I propose this: sit collections, see how you do and listen intently to the feedback tutors provide. Balance of probability is that you will do just fine and realise that you are not behind - its just that the course is hard! Hopefully you will then feel more able to embrace your slower learning safe in the knowledge that you've got the holidays to reinforce what you need to, and you'll finally feel more at ease!

The fact that you've made friends and the like is a very good sign re: your chances of dealing with this and staying on. I hope these feelings pass and you learn to enjoy Oxford even more. Hillary can be a bit dark and depressing btw but its nowhere near as much of a shock as Michaelmas, and then Trinity in Oxford is really great.

ReputationRep:
    Former law student here. Really sorry to hear about your worries - PM me if you want to chat.

1. Law has a fairly steep learning curve. I felt pretty overwhelmed when I first started. The reading lists were enormous, the concepts were all new to me, and I wasn't used to the workload (I worked harder in my first week at Oxford than I ever had my entire life up to that point, including during A levels). It took me a while to find my footing and get into a rhythm. It's entirely normal that you feel out of your depth at this stage - the course is designed to be challenging even for bright and hardworking individuals.

2. It does get better. With practice and time, you'll get faster at reading and picking out what's important in cases/textbooks/articles. You'll also get better with writing essays and structuring arguments, and with learning how to BS. Also, scoring well in exams is a rather different ball game from writing weekly essays. You don't actually need to have read that much content-wise because with only 45 minutes to produce one essay, you're limited in how much you can put down anyway.

3. How did your tutor meeting go? What have your grades been like so far? What did your tutors say in the end of term meeting last term? If they think you're coping okay, you're probably doing alright. From my experience, tutors are usually pretty good at supporting students and will quickly spot those who need a bit more help.

4. Oxford is intense, compounded by the short terms. It honestly felt like running on a treadmill which never slows down at times. Having compared notes with friends studying elsewhere, I believe that for Law at least, we have one of the heaviest workloads across all the universities (aside from Cambridge). Having Law Mods at the end of Hilary doesn't help either because we lawyers have one term less to "acclimatize" than everyone else. On the plus side, Trinity will be great.

5. That being said, I also think it has a lot to do with personal expectations. Full disclosure: I've probably only ever finished my Roman law reading lists, and only because they're (relatively) short. In fact I often didn't even finish all the starred/compulsory readings. I made peace with the fact that I wouldn't know as much as some of my more hardworking peers. On the other hand, if you're aiming for a first, it's obviously going to put more pressure on yourself.

6. Make sure you have a balanced life, especially this term leading up to Mods. Studies are a part of your life, but it isn't your entire life. Plan downtime, make sure you eat/sleep properly, go out and socialize with your friends. Be kind to yourself.

Big hugs, and feel free to PM me any time.

ReputationRep:
    If things don't improve you can probably transfer into the 2nd year of a Law course elsewhere.

I hope things improve for you

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    Although I'm not sure how this might help, I wanted to let you know I'm having almost the exact same problem right now. I'm in my first year of a masters course in Oxford, and it's totally destroying my mental well being. Although I haven't come to a decision about leaving myself yet, I just wanted to let you know that you definitely aren't the only one having this issue! I know I'm feeling pretty worried about the fact that everyone around me doesn't understand, so if you feel it might help, your welcome to chat with me, hopefully we can both come to the right decision in the end

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by well-hello)
    Hi,
    Although I'm not sure how this might help, I wanted to let you know I'm having almost the exact same problem right now. I'm in my first year of a masters course in Oxford, and it's totally destroying my mental well being. Although I haven't come to a decision about leaving myself yet, I just wanted to let you know that you definitely aren't the only one having this issue! I know I'm feeling pretty worried about the fact that everyone around me doesn't understand, so if you feel it might help, your welcome to chat with me, hopefully we can both come to the right decision in the end
    Even though I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy it's strangely comforting to find someone else in a similar position! Honestly I have to admit that since I've come back to Oxford it feel like my anxiety has got worse, if that is even possible. Personally, I've decided to just get through collections and then see what happens, although my one fear with that approach is that if I stay here long enough is that I'll just feel stuck here and like I should just finish the degree because I've come so far. What are your plans for this term??

ReputationRep:
    Even though I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy it's strangely comforting to find someone else in a similar position! Honestly I have to admit that since I've come back to Oxford it feel like my anxiety has got worse, if that is even possible. Personally, I've decided to just get through collections and then see what happens, although my one fear with that approach is that if I stay here long enough is that I'll just feel stuck here and like I should just finish the degree because I've come so far. What are your plans for this term??
    That's ok, I felt better knowing you had my problem as well! Yeah, I definitely feel a lot worse now as well. I thought the holiday might have made me feel better, but even at home I was still very unhappy, especially as it got closer to coming back. My plan right now is a bit chaotic at best, I've spoken to a careers adviser today who actually recommended that I leave, and said I can always call it a 'research experience' rather than dropping out on my CV. He also mentioned that it would probably look better to leave early rather than right near the end. I do have a few other meetings set up to talk to people to see what they think, but if I'm honest, I think I might just leave, because when I weigh up the options, a half-hearted degree is not worth more than my well being.
    I understand worrying about feeling stuck, that's exactly how I am right now. Hopefully it won't come down to that for you, but if you still feel like it isn't right, remember that you have the freedom to leave whenever you need to, it might make it easier to deal with

ReputationRep:
    How did your collections go? Have you managed to speak to your tutors or other support staff (eg university counselling services)?

Honestly, I think you could wait until the end of your first year to decide if you want to stay or go. I remember there were two people from my college who did that a few years back, although if you are seriously considering leaving I would suggest getting in touch with other universities and asking about a transfer ASAP, if not after Mods.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mishieru07)
    How did your collections go? Have you managed to speak to your tutors or other support staff (eg university counselling services)?

Honestly, I think you could wait until the end of your first year to decide if you want to stay or go. I remember there were two people from my college who did that a few years back, although if you are seriously considering leaving I would suggest getting in touch with other universities and asking about a transfer ASAP, if not after Mods.
    Honestly collections went terribly but I kind of expected it due the amount of time I spent worrying about them rather than actually studying for them. I've come to a similar conclusion, that I might as well as finish off this year as there's no real point in leaving mid-year. At the end of the day either these exams will go fine and that will put my mind at ease or I fail catestrophically in that case then I know that I tried and Oxford was too much- It's not like I'll be the first person to find Oxford the wrong place for them

ReputationRep:
    Honestly collections went terribly but I kind of expected it due the amount of time I spent worrying about them rather than actually studying for them. I've come to a similar conclusion, that I might as well as finish off this year as there's no real point in leaving mid-year. At the end of the day either these exams will go fine and that will put my mind at ease or I fail catestrophically in that case then I know that I tried and Oxford was too much- It's not like I'll be the first person to find Oxford the wrong place for them
    Sorry to hear that collections didn't go well. Could you schedule a feedback session with your tutors to find out what you can work on? My tutors were very good with helping students 1 on 1, and I'm sure yours would be happy to do the same. Alternatively, if you know what your weakness is (e.g. time management), you might want to specifically practise that. To be really honest, law exams are 50% content and 50% exam technique in my opinion. You honestly don't need to know that much content to get a 2i.

Have you seen a counsellor or other support staff (e.g. chaplain)? They might be able to give you better support and/or provide advice on managing your anxiety. Lots of people struggle at Oxford, especially in the first few months/ terms, and these people have a lot of experience helping students like yourself.

If your anxiety gets amplified in a formal exam setting (which might be the case since you felt very anxious about collections), would you consider getting dispensation from taking Mods in exams schools? The tutors can arrange for you to sit papers in your own college if I recall correctly. I've supervised students who had special exam arrangements for various reasons and there's absolutely no harm or shame in asking if it would allow you to do your abilities justice.

Statistically, it's extremely and highly unlikely that you'd fail catastrophically. Very, very few people ever fail Mods (see past examiners reports). I know it doesn't feel that way right now (definitely had nightmares about failing Mods too), but it's really, really unlikely.

As always, PM me if you want to chat more.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.