Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Below is a transcript of the online chat I had with a HP Online technician:

Ken: Hello John.
    Ken: Welcome to HP Total Care for Pavilion Notebooks . My name is Ken. How may I help you today?
    John : My laptop's wireless isn't working
    Ken: Could you please elaborate the issue, so that I can understand what is the exact problem?
    John : I first added the laptop to my network a few days ago, and it all seemed dandy
    John : but today it refuses to connect because the wireless key is incorrect?
    John : which is impossible because I added the laptop using a USB drive

Ken: I understand you are not able to connect to the wireless network. Am I right?
    John : yes
    Ken: Let me know if the key worked before.
    John : Yes it did, I was browsing the internet playing games uploading files, everything
    Ken: Okay.
    John : but today it refuses to connect to the network
    Ken: From how long is this issue occurring?
    John : from yesterday
    John : I tried to copy and paste the key, use a flash drive again, nothing works
    Ken: Did you check with the copied key anytime before?
    John : yep, checked with the computer I am talking to you with
    Ken: Okay.
    Ken: Did this issue start only when you tried pasting the key from the USB flash drive for the first time?
    John : No
    John : It was working fine
    Ken: Oh! I see.
    Ken: Does the router have any hardware firewall?
    John : Yes
    Ken: Turn off the firewall.
    John : Can't do that, the security risk it too high
    Ken: Just for the time being, let us try this to verify.
    John : If 3 other laptops plus this computer can connect to the router with no problems, I doubt the router firewall is causing an issue
    Ken: Oh! I see.
    John : Can we try an alternative solution please?
    Ken: Sure.
    Is ken like a robot or something? Anyway the bit in bold is my problem. Please help The laptop is a HP dv2530ea. The router is a belkin.

ReputationRep:
    do you have the key written down anywhere? if so, does it still not work even when you enter the key in manually?
    and, stupid as it sounds, does restarting the laptop or disabling and enabling the wireless do anything?

ReputationRep:
    I had the same problem on my vaio.try to right click the wireless thingy on the taskbar and click 'repair'. that did the job for me.

ReputationRep:
    Doesn't work when I manually type it in. The key is stored on my phone. MSNBOY's suggestion didn't work. The thing is, I set up the router again using that laptop because I thought it must work then. Afterall the laptop is setting up the router right? Wrong, it worked for about two days and then it says the wireless key is incorrect.

ReputationRep:
    theres usually a reset button at the back which u'll need a thin object. have u tried that?

i had problems with my router. have u phoned belkin ? they maybe more useful there numbers usually on the packaging of the router

ReputationRep:
    Not a problem with the router otherwise these messages would not appear here as I wouldn;t be able to connect to the internet. The laptop is the only device that has these issues. This computer has a USB wireless adaptor and works perfectly. The XBOX 360 also works, as does my brothers laptop which also runs vista.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flipper_99)
    Not a problem with the router otherwise these messages would not appear here as I wouldn;t be able to connect to the internet. The laptop is the only device that has these issues. This computer has a USB wireless adaptor and works perfectly. The XBOX 360 also works, as does my brothers laptop which also runs vista.
    wait why does it have a USB adapter? the DV2500 series all have inbuilt wireless, why are you using a USB one?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by olileauk)
    wait why does it have a USB adapter? the DV2500 series all have inbuilt wireless, why are you using a USB one?
    This computer, as in the one I'm on now. Not my HP laptop, which as you said has built in wireless. But you've just given me a brilliant idea which I'll give a go tommorow. I'll use the USB adaptor with the laptop and see if it connects everytime. If so I guess it's a hardware fault with the laptop right?

ReputationRep:
    yeah. sorry i misunderstood your post

ReputationRep:
    If you have wireless MAC Address Filtering enabled, disable it and see if the problem remains.
    Have you tried updating the wireless cards driver? You could wire the laptop to the router and check for one.

ReputationRep:
    I can't tell if "ken" is from India or not; he has spurts of good and bad english!

ReputationRep:
    Right I've trawled through the microsoft website and it appears it is a fault with vista rather than HP. I've tried to request a hotfix, but how do I find out my platform? The choices are X86, X64 and ia64. No idea what those are...help?

ReputationRep:
    you want X86.

ReputationRep:
    Looking at the HP website, yours is an x86.

edit: beaten to it, haha!

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.