Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Street Beggars- should we give them money? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sleepysnooze)
    well there are studies confffirming that most homeless people are homeless because of substance abuse (here, let me get that link for you your highness
    http://www.nationalhomeless.org/fact.../addiction.pdf

and like I said, it is LOGICAL to make that conclusion. no good, hard working, respectable, self-discplined individual becomes homeless. it's a matter of logical deduction. if you are a horrid person in life, i.e. a thief, and you are very poor, then you won't have the friends or family that will help you through hard times nor will you have the resources. what is wrong with this statement? my father was unemployed for years before he got his job at the moment - why didn't he become homeless then? could it be because...he was responsible and saved up money instead of being reckless with his finances? that's the difference between the homeless and the responsible - the homeless simply have no sense of responsibility. they are purely hedonistic and too stupid to thin about the long term future. their drug addictions AND their homelessness are symptomatic of the same exact thing - their pure lack of responsibility (along with their brutality towards others)
    Have you heard about the heroine epidemic in the US? What would you do if you live in a town and the biggest employer suddenly moved jobs abroad? Before that happened a lot of those people were "good, hard working" people.

Anyway, you just show again and again what I have always known about you, you lack even the slightest ounce of empathy.

ReputationRep:
    No. I'll buy them food and water and anything else they might need but I won't give them money.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yudothis)
    Have you heard about the heroine epidemic in the US? What would you do if you live in a town and the biggest employer suddenly moved jobs abroad? Before that happened a lot of those people were "good, hard working" people.

Anyway, you just show again and again what I have always known about you, you lack even the slightest ounce of empathy.
    1) so you're saying that their choice to take heroin wasn't their own?!
    2) that's the way of the world, sunshine. *nobody* has empathy really. also, even if I did have empathy, my empathy would be exploited by these people just like they exploit drugs.

ReputationRep:
    There's this one lady who sits outside the Aldi store on my local high street. I don't stop to give her money because it sounds awful but I think she's faking it. I don't think you lose anything by giving, but I'm selective perhaps. What got me was a man going through the dustbin outside the library. He just looked so hungry and I could see it in his eyes. I felt bad because I could easily spend £15 on a t-shirt and not think twice. Another man I saw sleeping on a bench in the snow. I gave him 3 pounds and bought him a warm scarf from the nearest shop that was open.

I do find it intimidating when men come up to me and ask though- but I find I always do give in those circumstances even if I don't want to.

ReputationRep:
    Yesterday when I came out of Tesco a homeless guy came up to me and my sister on his bike and said "sorry to interrupt your conversation...I know I look shabby, look at my shoes [etc ect...]" and started saying lots of stuff like "I know there are loads of people like me who bulls**t and spend the money on drugs/alcohol but believe me I'm not like them. I just got out of prison for shoplifting..." I can't remember what else he was saying cus he was rambling a lot but he didn't explicitly ask for money, he was just talking the whole time. He also said he's got a 7 year old daughter that he needs to provide for and that himself and his wife and daughter just got kicked out of their house because of a neighboring Somalian family that complained about them. Throughout all of this he didn't even ask for money, he was just telling us his situation the whole time. In the end I just gave him like 30p, saying "this is the only change I've got" (I was lying, I had a lot more but didn't really trust him) to which he responded with "any change is good, thank you".

ReputationRep:
    They should be given a basic income.

ReputationRep:
    1) so you're saying that their choice to take heroin wasn't their own?!
    2) that's the way of the world, sunshine. *nobody* has empathy really. also, even if I did have empathy, my empathy would be exploited by these people just like they exploit drugs.
    yet you appear to get off to being exploited by capitalists.

The ability to try and understand how other people feel has pretty strong evolutionary basis in humans, and it isn't just about helping other humans, it can help with manipulation etc.

ReputationRep:
    Personally I don't give money to people who beg on the streets.

I think the responsibility of helping them lies, not with passers-by, nor with homelessness charities, but with the state. They are collecting taxes from working people for that very purpose; to provide welfare to people who have very little, so they receive enough to feed and clothe themselves. If people still need to beg for money after that, I would start to suspect that's when it'll start getting used for untoward purposes such as drugs and alcohol etc.

When I spend money on helping people, it's usually in India (my grandmother has set up a few charities there), because that money goes a lot further in India to help people who are in more dire need of it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    yet you appear to get off to being exploited by capitalists.

The ability to try and understand how other people feel has pretty strong evolutionary basis in humans, and it isn't just about helping other humans, it can help with manipulation etc.
    sorry but it's pretty much assured that homeless people in particular deserve their homelessness. most of them are addicts, and it's very clear that they're only on the streets because they were so mean/moochy to their family and friends that eventually they gave up with them. and like I said previously, I've known one person who became homeless, and you'd *never* guess how it happened.

ReputationRep:
    like I said previously, I've known one person who became homeless, and you'd *never* guess how it happened.
    He had nowhere to live?

ReputationRep:
    I give money. All food does is allow them to survive but never to escape, give them money and they might find a way to double it, or squandor it on drugs. Entirely their choice.

ReputationRep:
    sorry but it's pretty much assured that homeless people in particular deserve their homelessness. most of them are addicts, and it's very clear that they're only on the streets because they were so mean/moochy to their family and friends that eventually they gave up with them. and like I said previously, I've known one person who became homeless, and you'd *never* guess how it happened.
    'Most of them' is not all of them. You cannot generalise all of the homeless as being like that. It's too simplistic a view.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lh030396)
    'Most of them' is not all of them. You cannot generalise all of the homeless as being like that. It's too simplistic a view.
    isn't it funny that I've literally had this same exact conversation only a day or two ago with another person like you who hasn't had as much experience with hobos as I have?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    I live in North West England and I don't give cash. I sometimes feel as though I should ask if they want something from maccies but there are way too many homeless people with addictions that I couldn't feel sure that my money wasn't going to feed their habit.

My trust is not helped by there being a particular homeless lady who has asked me for cash several times with the same excuse ("I'm getting social housing tomorrow, I just need money for the shelter tonight" or something similar). This has happened several times over the course of a few months so I'm pretty sure she won't be getting a council house or whatever tomorrow.

ReputationRep:
    isn't it funny that I've literally had this same exact conversation only a day or two ago with another person like you who hasn't had as much experience with hobos as I have?
    But you just said that you had 'one' experience with a hobo, so....

ReputationRep:
    But you just said that you had 'one' experience with a hobo, so....
    oh, so how many hobos have you personally known? :|

ReputationRep:
    oh, so how many hobos have you personally known? :|
    We're not talking about me, we're talking about you. One experience with a 'hobo' is nowhere near sufficient enough evidence for your odd and OTT claim that the entire homeless population is the scum of the earth.

ReputationRep:
    We're not talking about me, we're talking about you. One experience with a 'hobo' is nowhere near sufficient enough evidence for your odd and OTT claim that the entire homeless population is the scum of the earth.
    it's not just the fact that it was one experience - it was the fact that it was a truly *enlightening* experience. it taught me that there are effectively only a certain selections of paths that makes somebody homeless, and the one that is WAY more likely is just being a...well...I'll get reported again if I spread too much truth around about this subject. you know what TSR is like.

ReputationRep:
    I had just got off at the train station in a rush to get to a show when an allegedly desperate man came limping up to me asking for £1.50 to get the 'last' bus home. I stupidly went and got money out with them (never a good idea) and then went to change it into change all with him tagging along. By the time it actually came to giving him the money it had managed to go up too £4 as he had 'realized' he had less money then he thought.
    At the beginning I believed it to be real but as it went along I started to realize it was probably a scam but continued in the fear of them getting violent.
    It all started because I believed it to be true and would feel guilty if they couldn't get home that day from not affording the bus.
    I guess it all generally comes down to how your reasoning behind it, as long as you give money with the intent of generally help someone. Can you really be expected to take responsibility of what they spend the money on once you've given it too them? I think its a bit unfair to have to take responsibility... but I'm curious what others think.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.