Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I didn't concentrate properly during my GCSEs, how do I explain this in my Statement? Watch

ReputationRep:
    When I was sitting my GCSE's I didn't concentrate properly, something which I deeply regret now. I finished Year 11 with three C's and two D's, two of which were a D in English and a C in Maths (I also had multiple Level 2 Btec's alongside these).

Once I got to college I decided to put my all into my work, knowing that I was much better academically than my grades had represented. My first year I recieved a B in my GCSE English and Distinction*, Distinction in my Btec Creative Media course. This year I'm predicted to finish with D*D*D and hoping to go to Uni to study Media Production!

How do I explain my past results that weren't so good in my personal statement whilst also still selling myself? I have tried to mention my perseverance and determination to succeed and improve, but I keep looking back at the results section on the UCAS website and seeing my old lazy self bringing me down.

Sounds silly but my heads all over the place with worry as the deadline gets ever closer, any suggestions on how I could explain this situation in a positive light?

Thank you very much!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LewisJS)
    When I was sitting my GCSE's I didn't concentrate properly, something which I deeply regret now. I finished Year 11 with three C's and two D's, two of which were a D in English and a C in Maths (I also had multiple Level 2 Btec's alongside these).

Once I got to college I decided to put my all into my work, knowing that I was much better academically than my grades had represented. My first year I recieved a B in my GCSE English and Distinction*, Distinction in my Btec Creative Media course. This year I'm predicted to finish with D*D*D and hoping to go to Uni to study Media Production!

How do I explain my past results that weren't so good in my personal statement whilst also still selling myself? I have tried to mention my perseverance and determination to succeed and improve, but I keep looking back at the results section on the UCAS website and seeing my old lazy self bringing me down.

Sounds silly but my heads all over the place with worry as the deadline gets ever closer, any suggestions on how I could explain this situation in a positive light?

Thank you very much!
    You can't explain it positively. Everyone who got Cs and Ds didn't concentrate fully. Just take the L and emphasise your good sides.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:

Thank you very much!
    Unless you have extenuating circumstances - which would be illness, family problems etc - you don't need to explain it. Anything you can say would be pointless and waste space. You could ask your referee to mention something about how you managed to make changes to your work ethic and things like that, but they are a very teachery thing to say and not appropriate in your personal statement.

ReputationRep:
    Justifying poor grades through lack of concentration is only going to end badly in my opinion.

... Unless perhaps you said something like your GCSE's gave a good insight into the level of work that is required to achieve your full potential, and that through your A-levels you developed a stronger more mature work ethic, as reflected by your improved grades.

Although I still don't know whether some would consider that a waste of words, as this can be deduced from your grades anyway?

ReputationRep:
    Like everyone else has suggested, I wouldn't say that its a good idea to mention you did badly in your GCSE's, you're only selling yourself down, focus on the positives in what you have achieved or are going to achieve!

ReputationRep:
    Cheers for the replies everyone, I won't put this in my statement then! Good to know!

Thank you very much!
      So you're too lazy to do your GCSEs and now you're too lazy to even come up with your own excuses? Sheeeeeyit.
      • Political Ambassador
      • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
      You don't. It is mentioned in your reference or not at all. From what you've said, there is no compelling reason for your performance that universities would care about so I would leave it to your teachers to say positive things about you and otherwise use your personal statement to prove that you have potential.

be aware, though, a glowing reference and fantastic personal statement can only do so much and will not massively mitigate otherwise poor results.

All the best.

ReputationRep:
      You aren't meant to talk about your grades at all in your PS. Your school performance (grades, attendance, helpfulness, extracurricular etc) are to be discussed by your teacher in their reference. Just make sure you see your UCAS referee and explain to them if they can show you in a better light. They could say something along the lines of "After a disappointing performance at GCSE Lewis has turned it around by achieving......".(I don't think lack of concentration counts as a legit extenuating circumstance unless you have like a medical report. You just have to make sure your referee sells you and if you have the A Level grades that is all that matters tbh. You could research and see the average GCSE of those applying for your course but the standard requirement for most courses is B/C in English and Maths.

ReputationRep:
      I once asked this question myself on TSR.

Don't mention it in your statement. Your statement should be 100% positive. Ask your referee to mention it in your reference.

ReputationRep:
      You don't.

You take responsibility init, life goes on that way, not about what you can or will do. It's what you did. Took me a long time to learn that

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.