Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Currently, I am attending a college sixth form and studying 3 a levels. My grades are on average Cs and Bs, but I am really struggling despite everyone thinking I am doing well.

I have been suffering with depression and anxiety for years, and have only just recently been discharged from CAMHS (child and adolescent mental health services) because they believed I was doing better.

Last year, I struggled a lot with my GCSEs, my mental health was the worst it had been and I spent days skipping school and staying in bed. Eventually, the idea of going into school made me go into panic attacks everyone thought it would be best I leave and be home tutored (which began in January). This was very successful since I had no pressure put on me and I could do things at my own pace.

I was hesitant to apply to study A levels because I didn't want my mental health to detoriate again, but my mom persuaded me to at least try it, so I did.

At first, I enjoyed college and made friends quickly, I liked going into my lessons and generally just being in college. Everything seemed to be going well up until recently, whereby I have been bursting into tears in lessons or crying myself to sleep because of how stressed I am. I feel like my mental health has become worse due to the stress of college, and not being able to manage my work.

I am considering dropping out and either studying a course at the college's other campus, or starting an apprenticeship, both in health and social care. I feel that I potentially may be a lot happier due to there being less stress, but I do not know if it is the right choice.

Perhaps I could drop out, spend time making myself better and taking a much needed break from the stress, and re-applying at my college in September?

Sorry for the long post, but I need some advice that isn't biased or from someone who has been through a similar dilemma, thank you.

ReputationRep:
    Have you told your college about your mental health?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by starfab)
    Have you told your college about your mental health?
    Yes, they are aware of it but not to the extent that I am considering dropping out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bookworm1999)
    Yes, they are aware of it but not to the extent that I am considering dropping out.
    Maybe consider letting them know.

What about your mother? Does she know how you are struggling now?

I feel the best advice will come from your college and mother.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe consider letting them know.

What about your mother? Does she know how you are struggling now?

I feel the best advice will come from your college and mother.
    My mom knows how I feel, but she thinks I am doing well but that I should take the day off tomorrow to think about what I want to do.

I'm anxious to speak to someone at my college, and I guess that they will just tell me that I am doing well so I should stay, but I just don't feel like I should compromise my mental health for my education.

ReputationRep:
    My mom knows how I feel, but she thinks I am doing well but that I should take the day off tomorrow to think about what I want to do.

I'm anxious to speak to someone at my college, and I guess that they will just tell me that I am doing well so I should stay, but I just don't feel like I should compromise my mental health for my education.
    I don't think you should compromise your mental health for anything.
    What your mother said, is a good idea. Take a day off and see what you think.
    Still worth talking to your college anyway. They can provide support and alternatives too.

I can't give you much help with regards to apprenticeship etc because thats not my area.

What sort of help do you get for your anxiety and depression?

ReputationRep:
    I don't think you should compromise your mental health for anything.
    What your mother said, is a good idea. Take a day off and see what you think.
    Still worth talking to your college anyway. They can provide support and alternatives too.

I can't give you much help with regards to apprenticeship etc because thats not my area.

What sort of help do you get for your anxiety and depression?
    I'm going to ask her to arrange a meeting with my college so I can express to them how I feel and see what my options are.

I used to see a psychiatrist and a therapist up until recently when I was discharged, so the only help I am really getting is from anti-depressants which I am currently taking.

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to ask her to arrange a meeting with my college so I can express to them how I feel and see what my options are.

I used to see a psychiatrist and a therapist up until recently when I was discharged, so the only help I am really getting is from anti-depressants which I am currently taking.
    That seems like a good idea. Let us know what your options are, if you get the chance.

I see. Any chance you can see a therapist again? Maybe that would help you?

ReputationRep:
    Hi I'm the same year as you and went through the same thing with gcses- i missed all my mocks due to food poisoning and being in hospital- when i went back my anxiety shot up as the teachers were frustrated with me; I ended up taking around 3 months off and when i went back I was only in for 1/2 days a week. I got all 9 of my gcses and A*s and As despite the teachers giving me all D's and E's for predicted grades. I left that school and joined a different one for 6th form, however I was worried I would be treated the same as I was before and dropped out at the end of september and decided to take a year out. Middle of october I realised i made a mistake and was crying everyday- the school I joined for 6th form said it was too late to take me back. I asked every school in my area and I'm now in a better school than the one I joined. However- I need surgery for suspected endometriosis and have been off since I joined basically- I don't want to drop out, however and have been doing work at home. Our mocks start tomorrow and end next friday- so the school are allowing me to take a week and a half 'study leave' to revise what I've missed, and are allowing me to miss mocks. I then have work experience the week after and after i complete that I intend to go back to school. Sometimes I feel like it's too much but I need my ucas points and I don't want to be a year older than everyone if I stay back a year as I was born in summer so I'm already a bit older. When I dropped out from September-Middle of Oct was horrendous- so I'd really think it over and imo I would take a break from school with work provided and then go back- but really you have to do what's best for you!! Always put your health first 110%

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.