The Student Room Group

Drop out or take a break?

Currently, I am attending a college sixth form and studying 3 a levels. My grades are on average Cs and Bs, but I am really struggling despite everyone thinking I am doing well.

I have been suffering with depression and anxiety for years, and have only just recently been discharged from CAMHS (child and adolescent mental health services) because they believed I was doing better.

Last year, I struggled a lot with my GCSEs, my mental health was the worst it had been and I spent days skipping school and staying in bed. Eventually, the idea of going into school made me go into panic attacks everyone thought it would be best I leave and be home tutored (which began in January). This was very successful since I had no pressure put on me and I could do things at my own pace.

I was hesitant to apply to study A levels because I didn't want my mental health to detoriate again, but my mom persuaded me to at least try it, so I did.

At first, I enjoyed college and made friends quickly, I liked going into my lessons and generally just being in college. Everything seemed to be going well up until recently, whereby I have been bursting into tears in lessons or crying myself to sleep because of how stressed I am. I feel like my mental health has become worse due to the stress of college, and not being able to manage my work.

I am considering dropping out and either studying a course at the college's other campus, or starting an apprenticeship, both in health and social care. I feel that I potentially may be a lot happier due to there being less stress, but I do not know if it is the right choice.

Perhaps I could drop out, spend time making myself better and taking a much needed break from the stress, and re-applying at my college in September?

Sorry for the long post, but I need some advice that isn't biased or from someone who has been through a similar dilemma, thank you.
(edited 7 years ago)
Have you told your college about your mental health?
Reply 2
Yes, they are aware of it but not to the extent that I am considering dropping out.
Original post by bookworm1999
Yes, they are aware of it but not to the extent that I am considering dropping out.

Maybe consider letting them know.

What about your mother? Does she know how you are struggling now?

I feel the best advice will come from your college and mother.
Reply 4
My mom knows how I feel, but she thinks I am doing well but that I should take the day off tomorrow to think about what I want to do.

I'm anxious to speak to someone at my college, and I guess that they will just tell me that I am doing well so I should stay, but I just don't feel like I should compromise my mental health for my education.
My mom knows how I feel, but she thinks I am doing well but that I should take the day off tomorrow to think about what I want to do.

I'm anxious to speak to someone at my college, and I guess that they will just tell me that I am doing well so I should stay, but I just don't feel like I should compromise my mental health for my education.

I don't think you should compromise your mental health for anything.
What your mother said, is a good idea. Take a day off and see what you think.
Still worth talking to your college anyway. They can provide support and alternatives too.

I can't give you much help with regards to apprenticeship etc because thats not my area.

What sort of help do you get for your anxiety and depression?
Reply 6
I'm going to ask her to arrange a meeting with my college so I can express to them how I feel and see what my options are.

I used to see a psychiatrist and a therapist up until recently when I was discharged, so the only help I am really getting is from anti-depressants which I am currently taking.
I'm going to ask her to arrange a meeting with my college so I can express to them how I feel and see what my options are.

I used to see a psychiatrist and a therapist up until recently when I was discharged, so the only help I am really getting is from anti-depressants which I am currently taking.

That seems like a good idea. Let us know what your options are, if you get the chance.

I see. Any chance you can see a therapist again? Maybe that would help you?
Hi I'm the same year as you and went through the same thing with gcses- i missed all my mocks due to food poisoning and being in hospital- when i went back my anxiety shot up as the teachers were frustrated with me; I ended up taking around 3 months off and when i went back I was only in for 1/2 days a week. I got all 9 of my gcses and A*s and As despite the teachers giving me all D's and E's for predicted grades. I left that school and joined a different one for 6th form, however I was worried I would be treated the same as I was before and dropped out at the end of september and decided to take a year out. Middle of october I realised i made a mistake and was crying everyday- the school I joined for 6th form said it was too late to take me back. I asked every school in my area and I'm now in a better school than the one I joined. However- I need surgery for suspected endometriosis and have been off since I joined basically- I don't want to drop out, however and have been doing work at home. Our mocks start tomorrow and end next friday- so the school are allowing me to take a week and a half 'study leave' to revise what I've missed, and are allowing me to miss mocks. I then have work experience the week after and after i complete that I intend to go back to school. Sometimes I feel like it's too much but I need my ucas points and I don't want to be a year older than everyone if I stay back a year as I was born in summer so I'm already a bit older. When I dropped out from September-Middle of Oct was horrendous- so I'd really think it over and imo I would take a break from school with work provided and then go back- but really you have to do what's best for you!! Always put your health first 110%

Quick Reply