Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    If the pancreatic duct becomes blocked, enzymes can become active in the pancreas. Suggest how activation of these enzymes in the pancreas could affect the pancreas.

Please quote me in the reply if you do

ReputationRep:
    The pancreas would.. digest itself?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fergijane88)
    The pancreas would.. digest itself?
    I thought this but the internet was not happy to provide appropriate results

tenks men

ReputationRep:
    So apparently that's right, I looked it up and this page: https://jonbarron.org/article/pancreas-and-digestion kinda explains it. yikes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fergijane88)
    So apparently that's right, I looked it up and this page: https://jonbarron.org/article/pancreas-and-digestion kinda explains it. yikes
    It's doesn't digest itself. Researched it last night. Read the paragraph again the proteases are secreted in an inactive form

Almost all pancreatic enzymes are secreted in an inactive form to prevent autodigestion. (Remember, pancreas literally means "eats all flesh.") Inactive forms of enzymes end in "gen", e.g. trypsinogen. If the pancreatic enzymes were in the active form inside the pancreas, they would literally digest the pancreas itself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KyleH123)
    It's doesn't digest itself. Researched it last night. Read the paragraph again the proteases are secreted in an inactive form

Almost all pancreatic enzymes are secreted in an inactive form to prevent autodigestion. (Remember, pancreas literally means "eats all flesh." Inactive forms of enzymes end in "gen", e.g. trypsinogen. If the pancreatic enzymes were in the active form inside the pancreas, they would literally digest the pancreas itself.
    Pancreatitis is when the pancreas digests itself, either if the enzyes travel back in their active form to the pancreas from the small intestine (where they're activated), or mutations in the gene that codes for trypsin to cause earlier activation, inside the pancreas. So usually no, but sometimes yeah it can

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.