In relation to cystic fibrosis patients? Help much appreciated :) Watch

KyleH123
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
If the pancreatic duct becomes blocked, enzymes can become active in the pancreas. Suggest how activation of these enzymes in the pancreas could affect the pancreas.

Please quote me in the reply if you do
fergijane88
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
The pancreas would.. digest itself?
KyleH123
Rep:
?
(Original post by fergijane88)
The pancreas would.. digest itself?
I thought this but the internet was not happy to provide appropriate results

tenks men
fergijane88
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
So apparently that's right, I looked it up and this page: https://jonbarron.org/article/pancreas-and-digestion kinda explains it. yikes
KyleH123
Rep:
?
(Original post by fergijane88)
So apparently that's right, I looked it up and this page: https://jonbarron.org/article/pancreas-and-digestion kinda explains it. yikes
It's doesn't digest itself. Researched it last night. Read the paragraph again the proteases are secreted in an inactive form

Almost all pancreatic enzymes are secreted in an inactive form to prevent autodigestion. (Remember, pancreas literally means "eats all flesh.") Inactive forms of enzymes end in "gen", e.g. trypsinogen. If the pancreatic enzymes were in the active form inside the pancreas, they would literally digest the pancreas itself.
fergijane88
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by KyleH123)
It's doesn't digest itself. Researched it last night. Read the paragraph again the proteases are secreted in an inactive form

Almost all pancreatic enzymes are secreted in an inactive form to prevent autodigestion. (Remember, pancreas literally means "eats all flesh." Inactive forms of enzymes end in "gen", e.g. trypsinogen. If the pancreatic enzymes were in the active form inside the pancreas, they would literally digest the pancreas itself.
Pancreatitis is when the pancreas digests itself, either if the enzyes travel back in their active form to the pancreas from the small intestine (where they're activated), or mutations in the gene that codes for trypsin to cause earlier activation, inside the pancreas. So usually no, but sometimes yeah it can
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Brunel University London
    Undergraduate Experience Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 16 Feb '19
  • Swansea University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 16 Feb '19
  • De Montfort University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 16 Feb '19

Do you give blood?