Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should I risk my chances at a Gap year or settle for a clearing course? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm in two minds about how I will spend the remainder of 2017 despite the year just beginning. I have already applied via UCAS to universities for medicine and have received overwhelming rejections. I suspected this would occur from the start as there was some issue when applying through my school and my predicted grades but, I still applied for foundation medicine because I don't study biology A-level .

My stats this year:

A-levels: Chemistry, Mathematics, Computer Science
    A –level predictions: BBC (now BBB)
    GCSE: 4 A’s, 5 B’s, 2 C’s
    UKCAT: 637 average, Band 2 SJT, 5th percentile
    2 weeks work experience
    1 offer to study Chemistry

Ultimately I see myself having two options:

Reapply for 2018 entry:

- This means re-doing UKCAT. Also doing BMAT for the first time. Learning the content for these exams will have to be done straight after I complete my A-level exams this July. Also if I under perform in these tests it can harshly affect my chances.
    - Also I need to get at least AAA to even be considered however, I doubt this will be enough due to my odd A-level course choices. I’m unsure if I can achieve AAA.
    - Finally interview preparation and making a UCAS application again.

Or choose a course from clearing in 2017:

- Except I won’t really be happy doing any other course.

Any thoughts? Gap year or clearing?
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TurtleCub)
    I'm in two minds about how I will spend the remainder of 2017 despite the year just beginning. I have already applied via UCAS to universities for medicine and have received overwhelming rejections. I suspected this would occur from the start as there was some issue when applying through my school and my predicted grades but, I still applied for foundation medicine because I don't study biology A-level .

My stats this year:

A-levels: Chemistry, Mathematics, Computer Science
    A –level predictions: BBC (now BBB)
    GCSE: 4 A’s, 5 B’s, 2 C’s
    UKCAT: 637 average, Band 2 SJT, 5th percentile
    2 weeks work experience
    1 offer to study Chemistry

Ultimately I see myself having two options:

Reapply for 2018 entry:

- This means re-doing UKCAT. Also doing BMAT for the first time. Learning the content for these exams will have to be done straight after I complete my A-level exams this July. Also if I under perform in these tests it can harshly affect my chances.
    - Also I need to get at least AAA to even be considered however, I doubt this will be enough due to my odd A-level course choices. I’m unsure if I can achieve AAA.
    - Finally interview preparation and making a UCAS application again.

Or choose a course from clearing in 2017:

- Except I won’t really be happy doing any other course.

Any thoughts? Gap year or clearing?
    If right now you know you wouldn't be happy studying another course then your only real choice is to take a gap year.

How you spend that year (would A level biology fast track be an option? or working in a care/health role?) is up to you but will make a difference to where you can apply and your chances.

I'd recommend doing a lot more research into other careers and courses - there may well be something out there that suits you perfectly that you haven't discovered yet.

ReputationRep:
    I guess results day is where things branch then isn't it. In the meantime you have two things to do: 1) Work as hard as you possibly can and get AAA+ 2) Do some serious soul searching and see what your backup choice is going to be. I don't buy that you won't be happy on any other course whatsoever.

You can also take a gap year and not apply to medicine, of course, should you fail to get AAA.

And last thing: You've got 2 weeks of work experience. Any long-term voluntary work?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nexttime)
    I guess results day is where things branch then isn't it. In the meantime you have two things to do: 1) Work as hard as you possibly can and get AAA+ 2) Do some serious soul searching and see what your backup choice is going to be. I don't buy that you won't be happy on any other course whatsoever.

You can also take a gap year and not apply to medicine, of course, should you fail to get AAA.

And last thing: You've got 2 weeks of work experience. Any long-term voluntary work?
    I've been volunteering for a year now. I know i can only truly make a decision on results day because I will know were i stand in terms of medicine. I don't see the point in taking a gap year and doing another course when i could just apply through clearing the same year. Its scary and i don't really see myself doing any other course. I have looked at other courses and in terms of job prospects they aren't ideal.

If I do end up taking a gap year I shall most likely spend it as a Health Care Assistant or in a similar hospital-based role. Taking fastrack A-level biology would be best during my gap year however many universities have adopted this policy where if you cant take no more than two years to complete your A-levels when applying to medicine. The issue with that is i would take two years for the coourses I am currently studying Chemistry, Mathematics and Computing and one year for Biology next year, which is three years in total (2015-2018). I don't know if any university will allow that because I wouldve technically taken less than three years for any single A-level except it would be three years in total which goes against the resit policy.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    I've been volunteering for a year now. I know i can only truly make a decision on results day because I will know were i stand in terms of medicine. I don't see the point in taking a gap year and doing another course when i could just apply through clearing the same year. Its scary and i don't really see myself doing any other course. I have looked at other courses and in terms of job prospects they aren't ideal.

If I do end up taking a gap year I shall most likely spend it as a Health Care Assistant or in a similar hospital-based role. Taking fastrack A-level biology would be best during my gap year however many universities have adopted this policy where if you cant take no more than two years to complete your A-levels when applying to medicine. The issue with that is i would take two years for the coourses I am currently studying Chemistry, Mathematics and Computing and one year for Biology next year, which is three years in total (2015-2018). I don't know if any university will allow that because I wouldve technically taken less than three years for any single A-level except it would be three years in total which goes against the resit policy.
    Why not ask them about how they would consider an application from someone with AAA in Chemistry + 2 subjects who then took Biology A level during a gap year in order to meet their subject requirements.

The requirements for "a single sitting" and no resits are generally to ensure applicants sit a full complement of A levels together over 2 years (and don't need to resit any to get the right grades over an extra year) - they could well be happy to accept an additional A level to meet subject requirements.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    Why not ask them about how they would consider an application from someone with AAA in Chemistry + 2 subjects who then took Biology A level during a gap year in order to meet their subject requirements.

The requirements for "a single sitting" and no resits are generally to ensure applicants sit a full complement of A levels together over 2 years (and don't need to resit any to get the right grades over an extra year) - they could well be happy to accept an additional A level to meet subject requirements.
    So far I have emailed two universities and one told me to refer back to their website, the other never really addressed the question and went off on a tangent about resit-grades.

I'll ask my sixth form about doing another A-level.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    So far I have emailed two universities and one told me to refer back to their website, the other never really addressed the question and went off on a tangent about resit-grades.

I'll ask my sixth form about doing another A-level.
    You'll get better responses by phoning them - that just leaves 33 more to contact

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    You'll get better responses by phoning them - that just leaves 33 more to contact
    Okay i'll try phoning them when I am free.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.