Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm about to start my AS levels and the subjects I have currently chosen are:

Maths
    Media Studies
    Economics or Business Studies

My problem is that I can't decide between the two subjects! At enrollment I was told that Economics is more valued by employers but I don't have any interest in what it's about. As for Business Studies, I've heard that it's not recognised by employers but since I want to go into business in the future I thought it would be good.

I need help...

ReputationRep:
    i was in the same dilemma 2 weeks ago and i got some advice of people who had done the subjects. they said that it is best to take economics because one it is a lot more rewarding, two it is far more respected than business studies and three people tell me business studies is boring and economics is quite fun. I can assure you it is quite fun as i have been looking through some revision material, which was quite interesting.

ReputationRep:
    Well I want to go into Advertising, can that affect my choice?

ReputationRep:
    Economics is perfect for that. To be honest with you do what suits you best, but with economics you have alternative career paths to go down, business studies on the other hand i don't think will get a look. However, for economics i have quickly learnt that your brain must think mechanically and some of the concept are hard to grasp. If i were you, as i said before, do what suits you best.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Economics is a lot more respected for university admissions, which may be helpful since you've already got media studies as a less respected subject.

ReputationRep:
    Do economics.

ReputationRep:
    Take economics. It is a much more respect subject.

ReputationRep:
    As everyone said, Economics is by far the better one to take. Valued more by employers and unis, because of the depth and range it goes into. BS on the other hand is not.

ReputationRep:
    i did both at As level but ive heard business studies is considered to be a soft subject.

ReputationRep:
    I've done both, and I actually got a B in Economics and C in Business. I couldnt decided between the two exactly like you - so I compromised and did both. I did BS because I thought it would be easier to get a B in and Economics because it intrested me. I put far more effort into economics though because I found it sooo much more intresting. Business I thought wa seasy, but evidently I didn't display that to the examiner. Shouldn't do a subject just because you think its easy...gotta be intrested in it, so you can put the effort in.

My advice to you is just look through some economics & business stuff, and see if you like it. You can always start one subject and change it couple of weeks in anyway. Well, my school allows that anyway...

ReputationRep:
    Well... Business studies i think is regarded as the easy way out compared to economics... plus its blacklisted by quite a few universities... so im taking economics...

ReputationRep:
    Economics is the better choice

ReputationRep:
    Economics!

ReputationRep:
    Eco 4 shizzle

ReputationRep:
    Which uni do you want to go to?
    wht course do you want to do at uni?
    what career path do you want to take?

ask yourself these questions.

Dnt listen to all this b*****t abt business being 'soft', If you find it interesting then do it! If you're thinking of subtsituting business for economics because its a 'Soft' subject then you're making a big mistake.

ReputationRep:
    Your interests wont really count for much if your uni doesnt accept you.b.studies is cnsidered soft by unis.up to you though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alia_)
    Your interests wont really count for much if your uni doesnt accept you.b.studies is cnsidered soft by unis.up to you though.
    :ditto:
    If they don't count it as part of your offer and ask you for 3 other subjects, then it won't exactly help you...

ReputationRep:
    it depends on wht University OP wants to apply for....obviously if hes looking at LSE, Warwick oxbridge etc...then you wouldnt choose Business studies.

ReputationRep:
    I can't take Economics as it's full and there's already a huge waiting list!

Now I'm taking: Business Studies, Philosophy, Maths, Media Studies

Good?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dynas21)
    I can't take Economics as it's full and there's already a huge waiting list!

Now I'm taking: Business Studies, Philosophy, Maths, Media Studies

Good?
    Thats fine...do you really wnt to do media?

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.