Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    You have a few options when it comes to currency and taking money abroad.

Some of your options include:
    - credit card. Some banks have cards specifically for going abroad.
    - a pre paid card
    - bank card (these tend to have fees. Check with your bank)
    - cash

Credit card:
    Halifax do one and you don't need to bank with them to take advantage of their card. These cards don't have any fees for using your card abroad; but may have a fee for withdrawing money.

Pre paid cards
    You have to load money on to these to use them. I've used them and whilst they are useful to avoid the charges you may get by using your bank card, they are a pain to have to top up.

Bank card:
    These tend to have fees as I found when I purchased something online from another country last year. But it's cheaper to withdraw money from a cash machine abroad than it is than using a credit card. Your bank should tell you about any fees you may incur when using your card abroad.

Cash:
    Easiest way to avoid fees abroad. Shop around before buying. It's usually more expensive to buy at the airport. The rates change daily. I used this website to find the best deal. There's also an app. And if you do use your credit card abroad, it'll tell you how much this will cost you.

I was informed by a Bureau de Change this morning that it's cheaper to purchase travel money on my debit card, rather than my credit card.
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    I agree Halifax is a very good option. NatWest used to have a similar "no fees/charges" deal but no longer.

Monzo seems good on the "pre-paid" side.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    I have a credit card with Nationwide. You need to have a current account with them though. There are no fees for using it abroad. But there are fees for withdrawing cash.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    I agree Halifax is a very good option. NatWest used to have a similar "no fees/charges" deal but no longer.

Monzo seems good on the "pre-paid" side.
    Glad you brought up Monzo! It's really very good, such an intuitive idea! (I beta/alpha tested it back when it was called Mondo :lol:)
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paracosm)
    (I beta/alpha tested it back when it was called Mondo :lol:)
    :five:
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    :five:
    Spoiler:
    Show

*has a feeling you check ProductHunt every day like I do*
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paracosm)
    Spoiler:
    Show

*has a feeling you check ProductHunt every day like I do*

Actually no. But will do now!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 1, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.