Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I want to go travelling after school and I want to take over the family business. Thinking of possibly going to a business school after sixth form but unsure at the moment. GCSE choices are geography drama business studies and spanish and obviously all the compulsory ones. I'm currently studying at a private school. Worth taking A levels? Worth staying at current private school or moving to another school? Which A levels shall I take?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gcsehelp718)
    I want to go travelling after school and I want to take over the family business. Thinking of possibly going to a business school after sixth form but unsure at the moment. GCSE choices are geography drama business studies and spanish and obviously all the compulsory ones. I'm currently studying at a private school. Worth taking A levels? Worth staying at current private school or moving to another school? Which A levels shall I take?
    Lol you dont' have to do any work , pay up the inheritance tax!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    On a serious note do maths,economics,business

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fleky6910)
    On a serious note do maths,economics,business
    ok and which school is nicer to study at and generally better, private boarding school or local secondary school?

ReputationRep:
    ok and which school is nicer to study at and generally better, private boarding school or local secondary school?
    Private ! (if you can afford it , might as well as go!)

ReputationRep:
    Private ! (if you can afford it , might as well as go!)
    why are private boarding schools better than local secondary schools?

ReputationRep:
    why are private boarding schools better than local secondary schools?
    Compare the league tables of the school your intending to go to!
    But generally they have more funding , better facilities. More teacher support. Plus you can make contacts, other rich kids parents.
    Im not as fortunate as you , haha

ReputationRep:
    Compare the league tables of the school your intending to go to!
    But generally they have more funding , better facilities. More teacher support. Plus you can make contacts, other rich kids parents.
    Im not as fortunate as you , haha
    have you heard of gordonstoun? if so, is it a good school?

ReputationRep:
    have you heard of gordonstoun? if so, is it a good school?
    I haven't heard of it. Compare the colleges you want to go to.
    https://www.compare-school-performance.service.gov.uk/

ReputationRep:
    I haven't heard of it. Compare the colleges you want to go to.
    https://www.compare-school-performance.service.gov.uk/
    What is better, a college or a private boarding school?
    Also, how can i have fun and enjoy boarding school?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    I'd agree that A levels in Maths, Economics, Business Studies, etc. would be most suitable, but of course that depends on what subjects your school has on offer. Some computing skills or languages would also be very helpful. Think about what subjects you actually enjoy though too, you're going to be studying them for two years and possibly go onto a closely related degree course...

To get into a top business school they'll be looking for both maths skills and commercial acumen - you'll need more than "my daddy has a business", get some work experience, set up your own small business, etc.

I thought with the new government regulations a year or two ago everyone had to continue with some form of education until 18 or something like that? In which case, A levels would be the best choice if you want to go onto university, unless you can find a good apprenticeship.

Regarding the private vs state school debate, if you're happy at your current school and your parents can afford the fees then it's probably easiest to stick there. However, I would say that if there's a state school offering a better range of A level subjects (private schools tend to have less students so offer fewer courses, or many only offer more 'traditional' subjects not things like Business Studies) then it would be worth considering switching. As gcsehelp718 said above, look at league tables and OFSTED reports to get an idea of how good the teaching is at all the schools you're considering.

I don't know a lot about whether boarding schools are better than day schools, but tbh school is mostly about learning stuff and getting the qualifications, whether you board or not shouldn't be a major factor unless you are worried about being away from home or the costs involved. You can enjoy yourself at any school, boarding or not - just try and be active in student societies, make friends, do voluntary work in the school community, etc.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.