Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Textbook to self teach 1st year undergrad maths? Watch

ReputationRep:
    After self teaching a-level maths I was thinking of doing some further maths modules but I think I'd rather look at some undergrad stuff which focuses more on how mathematicians think and write etc.

Can someone recommend a good book which is suitable for someone self learning and that has problems with answers I can try?

Thanks
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sceptical_John)
    After self teaching a-level maths I was thinking of doing some further maths modules but I think I'd rather look at some undergrad stuff which focuses more on how mathematicians think and write etc.

Can someone recommend a good book which is suitable for someone self learning and that has problems with answers I can try?

Thanks

A calculus book sort of like this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 would be good. Undergrad books sometimes only have answers for even questions, and you have to buy a separate book for the odd answers though.

ReputationRep:
    thanks will look into that

(Original post by rayquaza17)
    A calculus book sort of like this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 would be good. Undergrad books sometimes only have answers for even questions, and you have to buy a separate book for the odd answers though.

ReputationRep:
    Is there anything in particular you would like to learn about?

ReputationRep:

Thanks
    You can get quite a lot of textbooks online by typing 'pdf' after the book's title.

I'd recommend:
    The Calculus Lifesaver
    Introduction to Set Theory
    Introduction to Algebra by Peter J. Cameron

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kkboyk)
    You can get quite a lot of textbooks online by typing 'pdf' after the book's title.

I'd recommend:
    The Calculus Lifesaver
    Introduction to Set Theory
    Introduction to Algebra by Peter J. Cameron
    (Original post by spectral_theory)
    Is there anything in particular you would like to learn about?
    I'd like to avoid massive books (ie ones over 400 pages) as they are quite daunting and as I will be going fairly slow I want to see progress being made. Also I know you can probably get them free as pdf but it's nice to have the physical book I find for maths such as when flicking to the answers.

Nothing in perticular but having a really good understanding of algebra would be good.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone have experiance with these? They look appropiate.

Springer Undergraduate Mathematics

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to avoid massive books (ie ones over 400 pages) as they are quite daunting and as I will be going fairly slow I want to see progress being made. Also I know you can probably get them free as pdf but it's nice to have the physical book I find for maths such as when flicking to the answers.

Nothing in perticular but having a really good understanding of algebra would be good.
    Shorter books won't be much help and would lack a lot of explanations. With university level mathematics, you shouldn't try to rush and treat it like A-levels as you'll just end up far more confused than you were at the start (honestly, it takes time to understand what you are learning). Large textbooks really aren't that bad, provided you pick a good one that doesn't skip all the basics.

The algebra book I mentioned is very good intro to abstract algebra, and does go into detail despite being short (though there are some topics that you won't cover until the 2nd yr).

Anyone have experiance with these? They look appropiate. Springer Undergraduate Mathematics
    I find them to be alright, but sometimes a little confusing, so I use it along with other books.

ReputationRep:
    read or die

https://marinazahara22.files.wordpre...s-wie-1975.pdf

ReputationRep:
    Have you tried Mathematical Methods for Physics and Engineering by K.F.Riley ? Its pretty nice imho. Lots of problems and interesting stuff.

ReputationRep:

Thanks
    Have you tried MIT opencourseware? It has pretty good resources for mathematics.
    Some of the courses have solutions for the assignments.

ReputationRep:

As a "meta" comment: mathematics at university covers a huge range of topics, and different topics tend to have very different "feels" when it comes to 'thinking like a mathematician'.

Because of this, you're not really going to find "one book" that covers even all the typical first year topics. You're also probably going to find that there are topics that you really struggle with, because they are so different from A-level. (Analysis seems to be one topic that many many undergraduates 'bounce' off at first - personally it was my favorite, so I don't totally get the reaction, but looking at forums etc. it's clearly a common one).

For applied material (and applied material at university level is much more like A-level pure maths than you might expect) the "doorstop" maths methods books tend to be reasonably good and cover a reasonable spread of stuff (I used Arfken, but I'm sure there are others than people can recommend). You'll find a fair bit of stuff you don't want to cover, but also a fair amount of relevant stuff to the applied side of first year mathematics.

Pure is definitely harder, and I think you'll basically need a book for each topic. Which topics you decide to cover can vary quite a lot: typically you might do some kind of linear algebra (matrices) course, some group theory, and some analysis. But other possibilities are complex methods (more geometry/algebra than contour integration), set theory, number theory, combinatorics (and lots more than aren't immediately coming to me).

Probability is probably a third area that is going to need its own book if you do it.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    This book is often recommended for people who want to get some insight into undergraduate mathematics prior to starting a degree. It does not go into any great depth though.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Concise-Int...dp_ob_title_bk

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.