Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is child support for unwanted pregnancies unfair on men Watch

ReputationRep:
    We start this debate off with two presumptions. The first one, a favourite of the liberal left: abortion is moral and available. The second is that everyone needs a sex lite which is why the LGBTQQIA need to be catered for.

If a guy has a one off sexual encounter with a woman. He takes precautions but she still becomes pregnant, he asks her to have an abortion but she refuses. Should he be forced through state violence to pay child support for his entire adult life?

Is this persecution of heterosexual men? I did some research into this and read some web BBS, many women are very smug about this: he did the deed, he must therefore be responsible, even though they have full decision making power here yet the guy takes full accountability. Accountability without decision making power, it goes against all of our modern values.

I noticed women are smug until a partner of theirs, or brother or close relative or friend gets into this situation and then they panic like hell.

Isn't it time we examine this rights for men issue?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    It's a risk he takes imo. If he really doesn't want to risk being a father, why sleep with her in the first place?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tiger Rag)
    It's a risk he takes imo. If he really doesn't want to risk being a father, why sleep with her in the first place?
    Read my opener, second assumption, it's a liberal assumption that everyone needs a sex life.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If you are mature enough to have sex them you are mature enough to take responsibility for the consequences resulting from your actions.

Additionally, a situation where child support becomes optional only encourages irresponsible men to disown their kids when it suits them, placing more burden on the state.
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    A man should be able to abdicate legal responsibility early in the pregnancy but must, at that time, also relinquish all parental rights to the would-be mother. The female then can consider the full realities of her situation and decide whether or not to have, and indeed then keep, the child.

Obviously provisions need to be made to support both parties in this regard, and we should be doing more to support all single mothers anyway, but I am yet to see a truly compelling reason why something like this wouldn't work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tiger Rag)
    There doesn't have to be any risk for either party.

If the woman doesn't want the child she can abort it. If the man doesn't want it he can opt out. The woman can decide if she has the finances to take care of the child and if not she can abort it.

Pretty simple and straight forward solution. We shouldn't be putting 100% of the risk on half the population when it can be equal.

(Original post by Quantex)
    If you are mature enough to have sex them you are mature enough to take responsibility for the consequences resulting from your actions.

Additionally, a situation where child support becomes optional only encourages irresponsible men to disown their kids when it suits them, placing more burden on the state.
    These are the same arguments that are used against abortion by pro-life as well.

ReputationRep:
    If the woman refuses to abort but the man took all the necessary precautions, he shouldn't be obligated to support the child. Though, that would also mean he wouldn't get to see the child or get any custody, since you can't pick and choose parenting aspects. It would be pretty awkward meeting the child you disowned and essentially recognised as a mistake anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Sex leads to pregnancy. No precaution can fully prevent that. You agree to sex, you accept the consequences.
    Don't sleep around if you don't want the risk

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nottie)
    Sex leads to pregnancy. No precaution can fully prevent that. You agree to sex, you accept the consequences.
    Women are always harping on about equality. Women do not assume such a risk because they can decide to abort, but place such a risk on men by giving us outcomes, accountability but no decision making power. This is not equality.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    As others are saying, there is no 100% risk free way to have sex, besides not having it at all. Every guy should know that. You can't say they took all the precautions, because at the end of the day, there will always be the possibility of pregnancy.

ReputationRep:
    Under the liberal thinking, everyone has a right to a sex life and it's considered a need. Sex does have undesirable outcomes like diseases or unwanted children. Surely making accountability with no decision making skewed the balance of outcomes unfairly against men.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    When you get into live sex aka sex without protection, dont expect that the result will be a car. It will probably be a pregnancy.

A child is a product of two people and therefore it is childish for one party to think that they should not be involved because "they don't want." A child is not some plate that you may decide not to eat from. This is a human being. Suck it up and take responsibility.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thrift2017)
    Women are always harping on about equality. Women do not assume such a risk because they can decide to abort, but place such a risk on men by giving us outcomes, accountability but no decision making power. This is not equality.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That's why you ask before you bang. Or go to a hooker or just don't have sex with random people.
    And don't start on equality because paying child support is nothing compared to going through pregnancy, labour and single parenthood. Equality does not exist when it comes to sex.

(Original post by Thrift2017)
    Under the liberal thinking, everyone has a right to a sex life and it's considered a need. Sex does have undesirable outcomes like diseases or unwanted children. Surely making accountability with no decision making skewed the balance of outcomes unfairly against men.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Then have sex other ways. One night stands are not the only way to fulfill your sexual life, but if that's what you enjoy you have to accept the consequences,
    If you go skiing on "black slope" don't get angry when you fall. Go for the "green slope" if you are scared.

ReputationRep:
    It's funny that this argument is only used against men, it is only men who have to accept the consequences when it comes to sex. Women have a plethora of options when it comes to absolving themselves of responsibility for a pregnancy. In fact I'd argue that because a woman has such a wide variety of options and because pregnancy is something that happens to HER body her responsibility for a pregnancy absolutely dwarfs that of a mans.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CarysJSLewis)
    As others are saying, there is no 100% risk free way to have sex, besides not having it at all. Every guy should know that. You can't say they took all the precautions, because at the end of the day, there will always be the possibility of pregnancy.
    ... unless you're a woman who has access to a large range of contraceptives before pregnancy, the morning after pill after sex and abortion after she is pregnant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by limetang)
    It's funny that this argument is only used against men, it is only men who have to accept the consequences when it comes to sex. Women have a plethora of options when it comes to absolving themselves of responsibility for a pregnancy. In fact I'd argue that because a woman has such a wide variety of options and because pregnancy is something that happens to HER body her responsibility for a pregnancy absolutely dwarfs that of a mans.
    That's why you should get to know the person before going to bed with them. If you feel she won't abort or if she openly tells you that, then don't go sleep with her.
    This variety of option isn't at all that great and I'd rather be a man and pay the money than go through any of these options (assuming the pregnancy is unwanted)

ReputationRep:
    I read your presumptions and I still stand by what I've always thought: if you're having sex, you accept the responsibilities that can come with it. ie. STIs, pregnancy. Goes for both sexes. If you are mature enough to be having sex (yes, I understand it is a biological urge for most), then you may have to deal with the outcomes of that.

If you get someone pregnant and still used protection and wanted nothing to do with it, that sucks, but you had a part in it all. I'm iffy on being able to abdicate financial responsibility. It is contextual and subjective, but I won't say it's unacceptable in all situations. But for most cases, in my opinion, having sex = you're big enough to accept responsibility of engaging in it.

ReputationRep:
    Ye we should ban abortion too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChickenMadness)
    Ye we should ban abortion too.
    Whys that?

ReputationRep:
    That's why you should get to know the person before going to bed with them. If you feel she won't abort or if she openly tells you that, then don't go sleep with her.
    This variety of option isn't at all that great and I'd rather be a man and pay the money than go through any of these options (assuming the pregnancy is unwanted)
    So, your first point is fantastic advice for today where the laws are what they are with respect to pregnancy, child support etc. The point of OP and others is simply that the laws should be different. The variety of options is substantially greater than what a man has, which is the condom and it's relatively high failure rate. And I'd rather be a woman who can control if and when she has a child and who has the practical and legal means to stop that.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.